Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Why Large Aperture?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by erizai
    Does Larger aperture means faster lens?

    Better performance in Night time photography (or Low Light)?

    Does it also cut down noise level comparing to the smaller aperture lens?
    For night photography you would usually use a tripod and also a small aperture to get a larger depth of field, so in night photography fast lenses don't usually matter. For low light conditions where you don't want to use the flash or where flashes aren't allowed e.g. in museums, certain places etc., a fast lens would be useful.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    by defination, apature values r the ration of the apature opening diameter vs the focal length of the lens. so the longer the lens, wider the apature has to be to maintain the same f value, more glass is used and the manufacturing process is more difficult, thus the lens becomes more expensive. not sure y wide lenses tend to start from 1:4 though.

    wider apature will make out-of-focus areas seem more out-of-focus(more blurry) so the subject becomes more isolated and the pic turns out nicer.

    lenses r generally not the sharpest at their maximum apature. 1-2stops smaller is usually the sweetspot. normally its at 1:5.6 and 1:8

  3. #23

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    For night photography you would usually use a tripod and also a small aperture to get a larger depth of field, so in night photography fast lenses don't usually matter. For low light conditions where you don't want to use the flash or where flashes aren't allowed e.g. in museums, certain places etc., a fast lens would be useful.

    Just curious. Your small aperture is refering to the actual size, or f-stops?

    If its size, isn't it better to have a better bigger aperture size to allow more light to come in for low light condition?

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    so wat if a bigger apature allows more light in? we can always use a long shutter. as said, when taken on a tripod, a 1/5 and 10sec exposure will hav no real difference(unless an elephant walks by)

    ur forgetting that the overall exposure is a combination of apature, shutter speed and iso.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    Just curious. Your small aperture is refering to the actual size, or f-stops?

    If its size, isn't it better to have a better bigger aperture size to allow more light to come in for low light condition?
    I was referring to a small aperture. E.g. f/9 etc.

    Depends on what situation it is. If you have to handhold your camera in a low light situation then defintely a larger aperture would help. But if you're talking about a tripod, it won't matter and you would use a larger aperture for a wider depth of field anyway. And if you're looking into creating certain effects, e.g. light trails/silky water then a small aperture would also be used.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bt Batok
    Posts
    768

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by n0d3
    you would use a larger aperture for a wider depth of field
    narrower?

  7. #27

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Typo, should be smaller aperture for a wider depth of field.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by xtac
    Think the f4-f5.8 are the minimum f stops it has when using the lens from its lowest to highest focal length...so i think a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 woul dmean at 18mm minimum aperture is 3.5 and at 55mm will be 5.6 am i right? HEE
    for lens which states only one aperture size (like AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED), does it mean the lens can produce max aperture of 2.8 for the whole range of focal lengths?

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    for lens which states only one aperture size (like AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED), does it mean the lens can produce max aperture of 2.8 for the whole range of focal lengths?
    If not I am not wrong .... Yes.

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Eastern Part
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe
    for lens which states only one aperture size (like AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED), does it mean the lens can produce max aperture of 2.8 for the whole range of focal lengths?
    you are absolutely right.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Why Large Aperture?

    the cost of making the lense is an exponential increase as maximum arpeture increases

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •