Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: advise needed in tea ceremony ...

Default Re: advise needed in tea ceremony ...

Quote Originally Posted by dennislim
    Hmmm AhV ... one thing which comes to my mind ... U say to capture the drinkers ... if i am standing infront of the drinkers ... I could only capture say from chest level onwards as lower than the chest i would be blocked by the groom and the brides head ...

if i go diagonal it would b the best but then either cannot capture the groom / brides faces ... only the drinkers expression ... or only groom / bride faces but not drinkers

are u implying the 2nd paragraph is better option ?

brudder ...I did say MOVE ? If at times, you need to move fwd in btw the couple and drinkers..do it .....anyway, zoom lenses will assist you in your 'cropping' ....just isolate your subjects by zooming in lo. Try to keep the frame 'clean' whenever possible ...i.e. not too many 'subjects' ...i hope u get what I mean .... keep shooting, dude !

Hmmm think the best position to stand during the ceremony is stand on the opposite side from the aunt holding the tray for the tea and from there ... to 90degress left and right of that position ... hope u all know what i am trying to imply ...

am i right ?
    position yourself near the groom, unless you want to make the bride looks fat.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Good point!!!! I usually stay further behind when pple take pics of me but hadn't thought of doing this purposely when I take pics of others

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    Some pointers from my experience:

1. Position the chairs, so that you have a good coverage and there're no distracting background (e.g. reflective glass cabinet doors!!!).

2. Stand on the opposite side from the aunt holding the tray for the tea, so you're bot blocked for every shot!!!

3. Usually, some interesting close-ups to take too (e.g. tea cups, ang baos, gifts, wedding shoes).

4. There would be some opportunity for candid pics especially when the younger generation offer tea to the couple.

5. You can gather the friends and relatives for groups pics after the tea ceremony (with the couple of course!).

6. You can also gather the couple (and brothers/sisters) for some posed pics, either in the bedroom o outside.
    refering to point 1 ... eh by the time i arrive at the place ... think they already position the chairs and position ... do i have the permission to move it ? what if they say its fong shui ... cannot move ?

hmmmm waaa never thought of this point ... =)

hmm would 17-40 suffice ?

refering to point 1 ... eh by the time i arrive at the place ... think they already position the chairs and position ... do i have the permission to move it ? what if they say its fong shui ... cannot move ?
    From the weddings I've done/helped out, the positioning of the chairs is usually done last minute

if they positioned them already for fong shui and other purpose, one way to "improve" the position would be to push back the chair nearer you, so that you can capture the person sitting behind.

btw, you can "test" back home first. ask ur family members or friends to simulate the tea ceremony. then u'll know the right angle to shoot. if u're tall, u'll need to bend down, else there could be some distortions.... better yet, grab a chair and sit while shooting

The 17-40F4L offers a very suitable range. Don't worry too much.
    Last edited by mpenza; 7th December 2005 at 08:45 PM.

hmmmm waaa never thought of this point ... =)

hmm would 17-40 suffice ?
    No problem, unless you'er shooting in one room flat, and with a house filled relatives waiting to drink tea.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    From the weddings I've done/helped out, the positioning of the chairs is usually done last minute

if they positioned them already for fong shui and other purpose, one way to "improve" the position would be to push back the chair nearer you, so that you can capture the person sitting behind.

btw, you can "test" back home first. ask ur family members or friends to simulate the tea ceremony. then u'll know the right angle to shoot. if u're tall, u'll need to bend down, else there could be some distortions.... better yet, grab a chair and sit while shooting

The 17-40F4L offers a very suitable range. Don't worry too much.
    "if they positioned them already for fong shui and other purpose, one way to "improve" the position would be to push back the chair nearer you, so that you can capture the person sitting behind." --> hmmm don't really understand what r u trying to say ... are u implying ... say if the chair is by the wall ... pull it outwards infront of me so that there is some space between the chair and the wall for ppl to walk through ?

any links on some shots of tea ceremony for me to take a look ?

"if they positioned them already for fong shui and other purpose, one way to "improve" the position would be to push back the chair nearer you, so that you can capture the person sitting behind." --> hmmm don't really understand what r u trying to say ... are u implying ... say if the chair is by the wall ... pull it outwards infront of me so that there is some space between the chair and the wall for ppl to walk through ?
    pls do a google search about picture of wedding tea ceremony. if you can find one that can shows four faces, that's the standard shot, see how the people being arranged, and how's the camera position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsangstudios
    Tea ceremony is tricky business. Sometimes you just dont really get the shot you want.
    Forget about telling when to position temselves, once the frezy starts they may remember for 1 or 2 frames and then they bo chap already heh heh I personally try to

get all 4 faces in for at least 1 shot.
    A low perspectives helps.
    Watch you depth of field, a higher aperture is needed at least 5.6
    Go for variaty in the shots.
    The excahnge, the expressions. the process of driking, handling and receving of gifts. Try to capture the people around too. The auty or friend pouring the tea washing the cups etc..

Also I have now made it a point that in future I will ask non offical photographer to Get lost..
    Till now I have been too nice, till the last weddign one of the brother kept getting in my way utimately you have thre responsibility as the main to deliver. So dont be shy be polite.

All the best
    thanks ... ur portfolio is great =)

k i understood what u meant by get all 4 faces in for a least one shot =) but think i would need to bend down to slightly above the head level for those VIP that are sitting down = )

pls do a google search about picture of wedding tea ceremony. if you can find one that can shows four faces, that's the standard shot, see how the people being arranged, and how's the camera position.
    tried searching but all irrelavant ones .... but never mind ... managed to see some of the great works by 1 of the forumer here =)

hmmmm in the event if the couple ask u questions ... what type of FAQ questions will they ask to the photographer ? Just wanna be prepared ...

anybody ? what type of questions will ppl ask u on that very day ... those common ones ...

Blog Entries

who sit where ah?

groom on right or left?

The most common questions people will ask the photographer during wedding:
    Are you the cameraman?
    Are you freelancer?
    How much you charge for wedding?
    What lens are you using?
    How much is your camera?

Most of them will ask me these questions during wedding:
    I having my wedding next year when when when, are you availabe? (friends and cousins)
    Do you do ROM also?
    Can I have your business card? (friends and cousins)
    Can I get your a drink? Tea or coffee? (parents)
    Where is the best place for tea ceremony? (parents)
    Have you eaten? (parents and relatives)

Couple don't ask me much questions, because have communication before the wedding day.

The most common questions people will ask the photographer during wedding:
    Are you the cameraman?
    Are you freelancer?
    How much you charge for wedding?
    What lens are you using?
    How much is your camera?

Most of them will ask me these questions during wedding:
    I having my wedding next year when when when, are you availabe? (friends and cousins)
    Do you do ROM also?
    Can I have your business card? (friends and cousins)
    Can I get your a drink? Tea or coffee? (parents)
    Where is the best place for tea ceremony? (parents)
    Have you eaten? (parents and relatives)

Couple don't ask me much questions, because have communication before the wedding day.
    hmmm ok =)

thanks thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    who sit where ah?

groom on right or left?
    u sure ?

facing the chairs ... the female should sit to the left and males to the right ...

facing the chairs ... the groom should be also to the right female to the left ...

correct ?

u sure ?

facing the chairs ... the female should sit to the left and males to the right ...

facing the chairs ... the groom should be also to the right female to the left ...

correct ?
    As for Chinese custom, Man, Senior, or elderly always stand or sit at the left side, the women, junior is always on the right side. I repeat, as in where they stand or sit, is not from your viewpoint. eg. the man says to women: come, stand or sit at my right.

Chinses saying: "Man left women right", never hear this before meh?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast