Thread: How necessary is it for 17-85mm lens to have IS?

Default How necessary is it for 17-85mm lens to have IS?

I had an eye on 17-85mm, but once I heard people say in such short focal length,
    IS becomes dispensible. Is that so? I am going back home and shoot rivers and
    mountains.

Default Re: How necessary is it for 17-85mm lens to have IS?

Depends. If you need extremely slow shutter speeds (e.g. less than 1/15) within the focal range, IS will definitely help in sharper pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Depends. If you need extremely slow shutter speeds (e.g. less than 1/15) within the focal range, IS will definitely help in sharper pictures.
    agree..
    and maybe Canon put in the IS to price the lens higher

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    In normal winter half-sunny afternoon, with ISO 800, what aperture will make it necessary for a 1/15s shutter speed?

err. half sunny afternoon you don't need 1/15 even at ISO100....

It is for indoor shots lah. If you want to take cathedrals indoors without flash.... mainly indoor static stuff you need wide angle + slow shutter + ISO800

Panning? Motion blur? More stilled water surfaces? Smoother water flow? I wouldn't know. Depends a lot on what you'll be shooting. But generally speaking, in an outdoor (half-sunny) afternoon, chances are, for general shooting, you won't need such a slow shutter speed.

sometimes u want slow shutter speeds (e.g. to smoothen out the surface of rivers/lakes, to capture motion) and IS would help. It would also be useful under low light condition (but not too dark when you'll need a tripod).

I'm not a terribly big fan of IS technology though (no IS lens now).

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    In normal winter half-sunny afternoon, with ISO 800, what aperture will make it necessary for a 1/15s shutter speed?
    Good question. But going further, is it necessary to shoot at ISO 800 in conditions that are obviously bright enough?

Personally, I would try to shoot at ISO 100 during the day to obtain as clean an image as possible. I've shot very often at ISO 200 only because of two reasons:

1. ISO 200 allows me to handhold a 70-200mm lens quite comfortably, even in overcast conditions, and I sometimes forget to dial down the ISO from 200 to 100 when I swap out the telephoto lens for the kit lens.

2. There's hardly any difference in visible noise (at least to my eyes) between ISO 100 and 200 settings.

On occasion, you may wish to get a silky-water like effect in a waterfall or a river during the day, using ISO 100 and closing down the aperture a fair bit. If you are traveling light and are stuck without a tripod, or can't be bothered to set one up, IS is indispensible.

Another possibility with IS is walkaround night photography...doing night photography completely handheld. IS will give you greater flexibility. Compared to a non-IS lens, you'll be able to get sharp images even if:

1. The lens is stopped down, thus ensuring a better quality image (based on MTF curves of most lenses)
    2. A lower ISO rating is used
    3. The required shutter speed is extremely slow

To put it shortly, I would personally say that IS is very useful. It is not always necessary, but when the situation does arise, it will come in handy.

Oh I see. Indoor shot does need IS, since it's difficult to setup tripod and low light.

When shooting distant subject with a 400mm lens, IS is needed since a small shake
    result in a large displacement of the subject, but when shooting landscape, won't
    this happen the same way? Does shutter speed < 1/focal length rule apply to landscaping?

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    Oh I see. Indoor shot does need IS, since it's difficult to setup tripod and low light.

When shooting distant subject with a 400mm lens, IS is needed since a small shake
    result in a large displacement of the subject, but when shooting landscape, won't
    this happen the same way? Does shutter speed < 1/focal length rule apply to landscaping?
    It applies to any picture taking. If you can have fast shutter speed, you don't need the IS.