View Poll Results: How do you approach Strangers?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ask politely, if denied, dun take photo

49 36.84%
  • Ask politely, if denied, hide somewhere take photo tactically

5 3.76%
  • Never ask, just shoot and run

69 51.88%
  • Dunno what to do...

10 7.52%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you approach Strangers if you want to take photo of them?

I'd go for 1 and 3.
    It depends on what I am shooting. Normally I just shoot, and show a "harmless" smile if the subject notices. In case anyone around looks concerned or uneasy, I'd try to ask nicely and if refused, I'd simply stop shooting that subject. Sometimes people are interested just how they look in the photo and I'm willing to show them on the spot since I run on digital. Also offer to send them a digital copy if they seem to like the photo.

Default only children!

definately ask if you wish to snap a strangers child, otherwise go for it, some interesting shots can come from expressions, "your shooting me?
    Last edited by sameasy; 3rd May 2005 at 03:24 PM.

Opening line ...

How beautiful.

This is for child, BEAUTIFUL GIRL, or group of people.

This would be a beautifull photo... the backdrop (or what ever) is excellent...

OK if I take this photo ???

Works every time

Otherwise, wait till they are not looking at you
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Default interesting story to share

usually when i shoot unaware subjects, once they sort look in my direction, usually inquistively, i will slight nod (a light dip in their direction) my head with a light smile, then look off for other subjects. but if their return body lang is anything but subdued, i always grip my camera tight case they swipe at it, and preparing to run ... MOST of the time they will 'ah forget it la'.

however there is one very bad exp i never forgot..i was at ubin, shooting the shoreline, when i notice abt 40m out theres a lady seated towards the bottom left for frame right under a big tree, great composition think..no time walk over ask since anyway her back facing me. just as i took 1 shot, she yawned and turned and glared straight at me! almost immediately she pick up a stone (palm size!), stood up and threw it at me, i was stunned motionless from her very swift response, but becos the distance, luckily the stone arc-ed downards and 'clang' my rented bike (narrowly missing my right leg shin) and caused one broke-off spike.

the bike rent-er was the next to glare me down when i explained the story.
    guess his last (spiteful) words?....

"Next time, dont be so TIKO then no problem."...

fyi that woman is a plumpish mid-forties aunty in bermudas, and curly hair with a wide eye look...imagine her strength AND precision...now imagine if that meteorite hits my lens front element straight on.. fellow CS-ers take note
    Last edited by itisnottheend; 5th May 2005 at 04:11 PM.

Default Re: interesting story to share

Quote Originally Posted by itisnottheend View Post
    usually when i shoot unaware subjects, once they sort look in my direction, usually inquistively, i will slight nod (a light dip in their direction) my head with a light smile, then look off for other subjects. but if their return body lang is anything but subdued, i always grip my camera tight case they swipe at it, and preparing to run ... MOST of the time they will 'ah forget it la'.

however there is one very bad exp i never forgot..i was at ubin, shooting the shoreline, when i notice abt 40m out theres a lady seated towards the bottom left for frame right under a big tree, great composition think..no time walk over ask since anyway her back facing me. just as i took 1 shot, she yawned and turned and glared straight at me! almost immediately she pick up a stone (palm size!), stood up and threw it at me, i was stunned motionless from her very swift response, but becos the distance, luckily the stone arc-ed downards and 'clang' my rented bike (narrowly missing my right leg shin) and caused one broke-off spike.

the bike rent-er was the next to glare me down when i explained the story.
    guess his last (spiteful) words?....

"Next time, dont be so TIKO then no problem."...

fyi that woman is a plumpish mid-forties aunty in bermudas, and curly hair with a wide eye look...imagine her strength AND precision...now imagine if that meteorite hits my lens front element straight on.. fellow CS-ers take note
    show the bike rental guy the photo of that woman and he'll eat his words...unless thats his wife

Default Re: How do you approach Strangers if you want to take photo of them?

Whatever you do, do not use a flash at night and pretend not having taken the snap!

Usually, if you ask it will be posed for and the moment is lost else you risk *strong* words

Often it might be possible tell just from gut feeling if you need to ask or take a snap and run. I might do both!

today i was walking at botanic garden with my zoom lens on..... then one stranger wave to mi... ask mi to take a portait pics of him......haha quite shock when he wave to mi.... i thought a long lost friend.... aiya for mi... just shoot and walk away.... if she/he angry... just delete infront of him and walk away.....

Quote Originally Posted by limyouliang View Post
    today i was walking at botanic garden with my zoom lens on..... then one stranger wave to mi... ask mi to take a portait pics of him......haha quite shock when he wave to mi.... i thought a long lost friend.... aiya for mi... just shoot and walk away.... if she/he angry... just delete infront of him and walk away.....

Interesting. Last year Big Walk an elderly indian man approached me to take pictures of him with the start line. Offered to pay as well. But he has a good eye.. i had the 50mm f1.2 mounted on

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    My preferred method is to use my 300mm from some distance and photograph them when they are unaware.

thats when my 400f5.6L

i don`t know why ..i alway get stare by stranger when ever i am in the bus or mrt ... when i bring my camera along .. regardless of genders or looks ... =D

I think it's depending on the country. Some country's people are simply too friendly to shout at you. They might just pose and let you shoot.

I just came back from krabi, I was shooting this young lady who was on the way back from one of the beach during low tight and I max zoom at her and shot her picture. Of cos she knows that I am shooting at her, she just continue walking while smiling at me....lucky she never fall. Then after shooting I just gave a friendly wave, and she wave back.

I think in singapore the only people who wont stare at you or throw things at you when you shooting them but still pose are childrens at playgrounds. They just wan to be super star!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123