Thread: Recommendations for Portable Studio Lighting ?

Default Recommendations for Portable Studio Lighting ?

Hi All

I'm planning on getting a Portable Studio Lighting System. Budget would be no more than $2,000.00.

This would be used primarily for Portraits (Family, wedding etc.)

The CP WebSite has a number of Elinchrome sets, but all are above the $2,000 mark

Any recommendations on equipment and also places where they are available ?

Thanks in advance

MANoj

Default Re: Recommendations for Portable Studio Lighting ?

No offense guys but I think this question belongs to another thread.

Default Re: Recommendations for Portable Studio Lighting ?

Quote Originally Posted by d12go4
    Hi All

I'm planning on getting a Portable Studio Lighting System. Budget would be no more than $2,000.00.

This would be used primarily for Portraits (Family, wedding etc.)

The CP WebSite has a number of Elinchrome sets, but all are above the $2,000 mark

Any recommendations on equipment and also places where they are available ?

Thanks in advance

MANoj

The main question is, when you say "portable" for 2 grand, do you need it battery powered?

If so:

2x Metz 60 CT4
    2x Stroboframe umbrella holder
    2x brolly
    2x lightstands
    1 infrared slave transmitter
    2x Wein Peanut XL

Under $2k I reckon.

You will have up to 400Ws of light per flash by my estimate. More importantly, it will be a fairly compact and an uncomplicated setup for indoors. If you're planning to use this outdoors, it will be better to use a wireless slave setup and factor in the cost of some small sandbags.

The swivelling Stroboframe holder for flash is not available locally AFAIK. That's the only catch.

You can also include an older SB-25 or 26 to use as a small background light with an Omnibounce.

Of course there are the Chinese made Jinbei units as well. Much bulkier and heavier compared to a 2x Metz 60CT4 kit. Support for both Metz and this Chinese one should be equally dodgy locally. The Chinese strobes have the advantage of easy adaptability to softbox use.

If you're willing to mail order, Alienbees.com has a portable battery option that should fit into your budget.

If you don't need battery powered capability, your options widen considerably. For the budget, I'd suggest a Hensel two head monolight kit (500Ws each). I think it's manageable for $2k or slightly more. Give Ruby Imaging a call.

There's also a Profoto 2 light kit being advertised in the B/S section that is less than $2k, apparently complete with softboxes.

Elinchrom and Bowens probably have non-battery kits for around $2.5k