Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

  1. #1

    Default How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Hi all,

    I read on books and on some articles, about how apertures affects Depth of Field (DoF). The rules that I know:

    1) The Focal length of lengths affect DoF
    2) The distance of subject affects DoF
    3) The aperture size affects DoF

    Of course we can remember the rules by memorising them, but what I like to really understand how the 3 rules above applies, in a layman explanation, or even in a graphical diagram.

    Can anyone enlighten or point to me any site where I can read more? Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    Hi all,

    I read on books and on some articles, about how apertures affects Depth of Field (DoF). The rules that I know:

    1) The Focal length of lengths affect DoF
    2) The distance of subject affects DoF
    3) The aperture size affects DoF

    Of course we can remember the rules by memorising them, but what I like to really understand how the 3 rules above applies, in a layman explanation, or even in a graphical diagram.

    Can anyone enlighten or point to me any site where I can read more? Thanks!!
    why read when you can go out, shoot and learn at the same time? Practise practise practise

  3. #3

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    why read when you can go out, shoot and learn at the same time? Practise practise practise

    In army, must learn the thoery before go for actual range mah....same here, want to understand the actual concept, so that when I shoot, can appreciate more.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Try the library or the HWM Megaguide (can browse at local bookstores first) - got some good illustrations or borrow from seanlim..

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oulu, Finland, Finland
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...f_Field_01.htm

    and perhaps u might want to do some experiments at home.
    i was intrigued at such things when i first got my camera!

  6. #6

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    In army, must learn the thoery before go for actual range mah....same here, want to understand the actual concept, so that when I shoot, can appreciate more.
    The difference is, when you shoot in range, you might hurt someone if you don't apply some fundamental theories. But for cameras, you won't anyone when you shoot "wrongly". And often, the best way to learn is through mistakes, and seeing the results for youself.

    If you really want theoretical, yet simple explanation, check this out.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    I agree - go out with your camera and test what difference these three variables make.

    Choose a subject, set camera up on tripod and shoot at different apertures (I would just change by a complete stop i.e. f4, f5.6, f8, etc... each time). Then try a different focal length repeat and try at different distances to subject. In my opinion this is the only way to learn this.

    Not only is distance to subject important but probably more importantly, it's the ratio of distance to subject: distance to background. If this is high (1:20) then you will get a very blurred background, even at a small aperture. If you are close to your subject but everything else is at a similar distance (e.g. shooting a wall face on) then you might not see the actual shallowness of the DOF.

  9. #9

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Thanks guys!! The info helps!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Try the library or the HWM Megaguide (can browse at local bookstores first) - got some good illustrations or borrow from seanlim..
    aiyo say my name?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    Less DOF:
    Focal length - longer
    Distance to subject - closer
    Aperture - bigger

    More DOF:
    Focal length - shorter
    Distance to subject - farther
    Aperture - smaller
    Last edited by d7t3; 6th December 2005 at 01:39 PM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    wah seanlim kena again.

    yeah. go practice la. in the end, u wont even be memorising thiose rules. it will become 2nd nature to you when you shoot

  13. #13

    Default Re: How DoF is affected by the 3 rules

    ...nvm lar tio kena also for gd cause

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •