Thread: Quick release plate and ball head

Default Quick release plate and ball head

I've just bought a Manfrotto 714B tripod. http://www.manfrotto.com/page1968.html
    I've read in reviews that some people add a quick release plate to this. I know nuts about tripods so.. how do i do it and is it necessary?

Default Re: Quick release plate and ball head

Quote Originally Posted by dts_spawn
    I've just bought a Manfrotto 714B tripod. http://www.manfrotto.com/page1968.html
    I've read in reviews that some people add a quick release plate to this. I know nuts about tripods so.. how do i do it and is it necessary?
    have you got a head to go with this as well? the quick release plate is attached to the camera to make it easier to set it on the head.

see http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/qr/index.html for a quick tutorial.
    satish
    satish
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by satcat
    have you got a head to go with this as well? the quick release plate is attached to the camera to make it easier to set it on the head.
    The tripod comes with a ball head. So should i get a quick release? How much does it cost and should i look out for anything?

better to..comes in very handy at times.

get one, so that you could dismount your setup easily when needed (vs spending precious seconds unscrewing). you might need to move without your tripod to capture some fleeting moments

It costs around $30-35 for manfrotto 323
    http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/3266

er... just curious... how much is the Manfrotto 714B tripod you got ?

Thanks .

Ok. But is the quality of the quick release important? Can i just get any kind or is there special types for that tripod? Anything to look out for? I bought the tripod 2nd hand.

u can get any kind that fits. but dun need the very high end ones since ur tripod can't support much weight anyway.

ok. So how much would an average type of quick release plate cost? And stupid question but want to get things right.. when you say fit, you mean can be able to screw onto the tripod right?

yup yup. The Manfrotto 323 is pretty good and reasonably priced. cheaper ones would probably cost $20 odd too.

What is the key difference between the cheaper ones and the manfrotto one? Would it make a difference for the tripod and my panasonic FZ5?

Another question, from the picture, it looks like the manfrotto 323 doesn't have a spirt level. Does it have one? Is it important? What are the alternative places to have a spirt level when my cam doesn't have a hot shoe?

Another question, from the picture, it looks like the manfrotto 323 doesn't have a spirt level. Does it have one? Is it important? What are the alternative places to have a spirt level when my cam doesn't have a hot shoe?
    I think Manfrotto 323 quick relase plate has be out of stock for a long time in Singapore. You can get a Japenese made quick release plate from CP for about S$20-30... It will be more than enough for your FZ5.

Why do you need spirit level? Isn't composing from the viewfinder is the best judgement you can have Unless you are taking a lot of architecture images...

oh. True true. Any thing to look out for when buying a quick release?

OH MY! For the past 2 days i went to cathay and all the shops in penisular and MS colours but all DO NOT have a quick release adaptor in stock. Any other place where i may get it?

Really need help here. Can't seem to find any QR. Even posted on B&S but to no avail.