Thread: 40-150 or 50-200 or consumer 12x camera

Default 40-150 or 50-200 or consumer 12x camera

I have a E1 with 14-54 lens. I have always wanted to get another tele lens for my upcoming trip as I find that 54 seems a little short.

I don't want to get the 50-200mm cuz it is overpriced in Singapore (compared to states) and it weighs like 1kg...

Just today a thought struck me. Why don't I get a consumer camera like fz5. it weighs ONLY 3xx grams.. cost like $660, as the same aperture, and has IS for the 200mm.

It seems to be a much better deal huh? Ok the noise may be a little bit higher but I am sure the IS will make up for it. And my wife can use it together with me... And I have much more choices, not just the fz5, there are soo many super zooms out there that is lighter than the 50-200mm and with image stabilization...

Just a thought.

Default Re: 40-150 or 50-200 or consumer 12x camera

When I travel, 99% of all my pics were taken with the wide angle zoom be it 14-45mm or 11-22mm since I would be taking mostly landscape shots. I particularly have to force myself to use the 40-150mm just to justify having brought it along. So unless you are very, very sure that you would be needing the tele-zoom for your travel pics, it may not be worth your while to get one just for the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I have a E1 with 14-54 lens. I have always wanted to get another tele lens for my upcoming trip as I find that 54 seems a little short.

I don't want to get the 50-200mm cuz it is overpriced in Singapore (compared to states) and it weighs like 1kg...

Just today a thought struck me. Why don't I get a consumer camera like fz5. it weighs ONLY 3xx grams.. cost like $660, as the same aperture, and has IS for the 200mm.

It seems to be a much better deal huh? Ok the noise may be a little bit higher but I am sure the IS will make up for it. And my wife can use it together with me... And I have much more choices, not just the fz5, there are soo many super zooms out there that is lighter than the 50-200mm and with image stabilization...

Just a thought.
    IS or VR corrects hand shake but does not freeze moving subjects in slow shutter speed.
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    When I travel, 99% of all my pics were taken with the wide angle zoom be it 14-45mm or 11-22mm since I would be taking mostly landscape shots. I particularly have to force myself to use the 40-150mm just to justify having brought it along. So unless you are very, very sure that you would be needing the tele-zoom for your travel pics, it may not be worth your while to get one just for the trip.
    Tomcat is right. I was at Shanghai for a week and most of the time I used 11-22 and 14-45 lenses. The only time I use 50-200 is when I need to zoom in to a pagoda which was quite far away from West Lake/Hangzhou and across the Bund in Shanghai/Suzhou River in the evening to take night shots. Didn't got a chance to go to the zoo hence, didn't make full use of the 50-200 lense.

Getting a Prosumer seems like a good idea. But wouldn't that dilute the use of your DSLR?

50-200mm Oly is indeed a great lens but you can forget about the concept of travel light with this lens due to its weight and size.

One very cheap option is to consider the Sigma 55-200 priced at about $270 I think. Its very light and slightly bigger than the kit lens. IMHO it produces some decent shots given its price range.

The IS is mainly for 200mm. It will help with framing, ie keep the subject still hopefully. I find handholding at 200mm very tough even to focus.

Acutally the 14-54 is ok for 90% of the time. The only time I wished for a longer lens during my Europe trip in June was a sunset over one of the small italian towns...

Anyway a P&S offers other advantages like greater DOF which can be useful. After all the FZ5 cost like only $660. It weighs like 330grams... great for snapshots when I don't want to lug a E1/14-54 mm.

I sold off my 55-200 it is HARD to hand held at 200mm without IS

IS really gives you a stop or two more than what you would have had normally. At the widest point, rather than having to limit yourself to 1/30th, you could shoot at 1/15th or even 1/8th.

I faced a similar question, I was thinking why don't I get another ultra zoom camera to replace my C-700, and then I thought why I bought my E-300 in the first place...then I remembered I was thinking about buying the Panasonic DMC-FZ30, but I didn't because of the noise at 100ISO (too many MP for such a small sensor). Then I saw that an 18-180mm was coming out for E-system, but then I saw the MTF chart and it wasn't that impressive...so now I'm waiting to see examples of this lens.

What was the question again?

I also found that with the 14-54mm, it covers > 90% of the needs of my travel shots. So buying 50-200mm for travel is out of the question for me.

I try both the Sigma 200mm and Oly 150mm and in the end kept the Oly 150mm. It is a much lower cost to cover that remaining < 10% times. It performs better than what I really expected out from it given its weight and cost. You need a sling bag for fast changing of lens and with some practice, you can really change lens pretty fast.

if you consider the 40-150 lens, the panasonic FZ5 is not that much more expensive and it has the added advantage of being more convenient. No need to change lens which can be a hassle and introduce dust to your camera. It is also one stop brighter and has IS. It is also lighter. Basically the only advantage the 40-150 lens is that you can shoot at higher ISO which will probably gain 2 stops.

Do I want to the 2 stops ISO or Image stabilization + convenience?

personally i'll go for the 40-150 or 50-200...
    besides wanting the best stuff technically,i'll want all my photos to have a similar quality,
    like color, noise, file size etc....

if you consider the 40-150 lens, the panasonic FZ5 is not that much more expensive and it has the added advantage of being more convenient. No need to change lens which can be a hassle and introduce dust to your camera. It is also one stop brighter and has IS. It is also lighter. Basically the only advantage the 40-150 lens is that you can shoot at higher ISO which will probably gain 2 stops.

Yes, you want the FZ5, go... go buy it.

It still depends on what you are trying to shoot. My recent visit to the Birdpark proved one point - to shoot those active birds, I need fast lens. Went with a few other friends, some with IS body/lens, but either not enough reach or slow at f5.6. Not forgetting that most of the birds are hiding under the shades or in the trees. So, it's really challenging.

Agree that FZ-5 is indeed good if you need long zoom with IS at the lowest cost. I was using FZ-20 before moving into DSLR, so I know its advantages. I moved because of wider dynamic range and better sensitivity with bigger pixel pitch.