Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 111 of 111

Thread: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

  1. #101
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    Taken from a recent photo competition.

    6. The contestants agree to assign all intellectual property rights of the photos submitted to ***** and ***. As such, ***** and *** will have full rights to the pictures usage for any above and below-the-line marketing activities and any other activities. In addition, winners may be requested to participate in public relations events tied to the campaign to generate press coverage of the contest and the accessories range. This may include, but not be limited to, quotes given for inclusion in press releases and press conferences, interviews, etc.

    Would these be considered 'unfair' T&C? Apparently over 7,000 entries were received.
    yes it is considered unfair or at least i consider it unfair.

    i agree to fair use and no transfer of intellectual property rights for non winning entries.

  2. #102
    Member Papilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    yes it is considered unfair or at least i consider it unfair.

    i agree to fair use and no transfer of intellectual property rights for non winning entries.
    Thanks. Would you happen to have an example of a T&C which is considered fair and reasonable to the participants of a competition?

  3. #103
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    life is great by great eastern life i think, search for it yourself

    i do not keep trach of these things

    what is your point?
    Last edited by ortega; 5th December 2005 at 12:05 AM.

  4. #104
    Member Papilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    1,058

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Just to be clear how such T&Cs can be crafted fairly, because most people tend to be overwhelmed by the wordiness of such clauses.

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    Thanks. Would you happen to have an example of a T&C which is considered fair and reasonable to the participants of a competition?
    Yes there is.
    http://www.worldpressphoto.nl/images...engels_def.pdf

  6. #106
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    i was just about to post that, you beat me to it.

  7. #107
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by Papilio
    Just to be clear how such T&Cs can be crafted fairly, because most people tend to be overwhelmed by the wordiness of such clauses.
    I feel that to be considered fair there should be a win - win situation
    where both parties win

    if the org want to use the image (unlimited usage), then just use the winning entries
    the winning entries have won a prize, so i guess it is fair exchange.

    but the ip should remain with the photog.

  8. #108

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock
    BRAVO.

    LittleWolf, the difference here is that photographers are stabbing their own kind to death, instead of an outside force. Of course we have to adapt, for example if one day 3D Animation becomes a cheaper and better alternative than Photography.
    But when us photographers devalue our ownselves due to a lack of understanding of the cost of photography, then we are the stupid ones.
    Exploitation is not something I think we should accept easily.

    For an idea of how much photography can be worth, a friend of mine who works in a government agency related that they had just paid a photographer $29,000 for about 30 photos, for use in a corporate book.
    My friend in the US just got US$42,000 for a single photo which was used in magazines and billboards for advertising a website (bluefly.com)

    This a matter of the media used (reach) and rights involved? A corporate book only reaches a few thousand people, whereas magazines and billboards reach a much higher no of people.

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    394

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    I feel that to be considered fair there should be a win - win situation
    where both parties win

    if the org want to use the image (unlimited usage), then just use the winning entries
    the winning entries have won a prize, so i guess it is fair exchange.

    but the ip should remain with the photog.
    Hi Ortega, I fully agree with you here..... at least the winning pic. Those not winning entries should not be used at all.

    Perhaps an organisation (advisor board) should be formed to enforce the T&C on behalf of all the photographers and always there to warn or correct the T&C made by the organisations.

    By the way may I ask you, those competitions that are with PSS (photography society of singapore), are the T&C considered fair??

  10. #110
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by vincenthau
    Hi Ortega, I fully agree with you here..... at least the winning pic. Those not winning entries should not be used at all.

    Perhaps an organisation (advisor board) should be formed to enforce the T&C on behalf of all the photographers and always there to warn or correct the T&C made by the organisations.

    By the way may I ask you, those competitions that are with PSS (photography society of singapore), are the T&C considered fair??
    it depends on the T&C
    if i am not wrong some of the competitions are only supported by PSS, while the org is another party.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

    Quote Originally Posted by vincenthau
    By the way may I ask you, those competitions that are with PSS (photography society of singapore), are the T&C considered fair??
    i remember there was some debate on the competition organized by sg botanic gardens and pss

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •