Thread: Time for sunrise around the world

Lightbulb Time for sunrise around the world

Hope to hear from those who have been shooting sunrise in other countries.

I am planning a trip to Cambodia next year, and I'm wondering about the best way to schedule sunrise shoots.

If I'm not wrong, Singapore is essentially following East Malaysia's time zone. If not for political and economic reasons, we would be following the time zone of Thailand. Therefore, if we have a sunrise at, say 7 a.m., the time in Thailand would be 6 a.m. (correct anot? I get confused) and they would be having the sunrise at about this time too.

Any other factors to consider, besides how and how far a country deviates from its "natural time zone"? For now, I don't need to consider the seasonal factors affecting temperate countries.

Anyway, I know that there'll be some form of aberration no matter where on earth we are, but I must still plan to the best of my abilities mah.

Default Re: Time for sunrise around the world

u can get sunrise info if u have a GPS

give u the direction and time of sun rise and moon rise in ur area.

Quote Originally Posted by kex
    u can get sunrise info if u have a GPS

give u the direction and time of sun rise and moon rise in ur area.

Not really, must know the LMT and GMT. I believe he was asking about the time conversion.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

Hope this help. But please search the time zone of the place you are visiting yourself.
    http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight2.html

For example: Singapore. Use Google Earth to give you the coordinates.
    http://aa.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_rstablew.pl
    Last edited by Aton; 3rd December 2005 at 11:07 PM.

I used to have a PDA that have the time for sunrise. Very useful for travel photography. But too bad the toy has broken. Any website provides this info?

Kaywalk: Go to Weather.Com here and you'll see it for Cambodia. Click on the Sunrise/Sunset tab in the middle of the page to check the current times. After 21 Dec, Sunrise should creep by about 2mins a week earlier, so use that as an estimate.

Hope this helps.
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive

Quote Originally Posted by ykia
    Kaywalk: Go to Weather.Com here and you'll see it for Cambodia. Click on the Sunrise/Sunset tab in the middle of the page to check the current times. After 21 Dec, Sunrise should creep by about 2mins a week earlier, so use that as an estimate.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks!

How did you learn that it creeps by about 2 minutes a week earlier? Wow, there's so much to learn about the world!

Well, Cambodia is not that far north of S'pore to make much difference in daylight lengths, so using S'pore's spread of about 22mins between the equinoxes 26 week period, you get about 1 min per week.

Since the shortest day is on Dec 21, it can only get longer until Jun 21, the longest.

To be safe, as all photogs who are serious about dawn shoots, go with 2 mins a week.

Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    Thanks!

How did you learn that it creeps by about 2 minutes a week earlier? Wow, there's so much to learn about the world!
    Kopi Session (when time permits)
    at 100AW, Blk 639, Punggol Drive