Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Budding photographer queries

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,117

    Post Budding photographer queries

    Finally gotten myself a Canon Powershot A95 at Comex in June. My first camera. Pretty impressed with the pictures that churned out of the camera. But seemingly it still lack of speed for sports and flash modes to enhance shots in the night. I've consulted friends around me whether to upgrade to a prosumer like Canon S2 IS or a DSLR like Nikon D70s, most of them would say "just get a DSLR". Well they're all DSLR users. Another reason is that my job may get pretty hectic by next year, as I knew a DSLR will require much more attention and maintenance, would a prosumer be less time consuming? So I would like to hear from your opinions. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    3,287

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    If you are asking this question then you don't need a DSLR.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    photography indeed needs lots of time... lots of time to learn that is... I noe of ppl that never clean their lense or body... all they did was throw everything into the dry cabinet...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    hErE lAh
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonang
    photography indeed needs lots of time... lots of time to learn that is... I noe of ppl that never clean their lense or body... all they did was throw everything into the dry cabinet...
    Sounds like me... haha.
    Yah a friend of mine spends a lot of time on his photography. I just shoot now and then... and already so much time to adjust the photos. Now I just throw into the PC and look at them when I have the time.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Yup a DSLR generally requires more cleaning as dust can enter the camera body when you change lenses. But if you're careful it isn't really much of a problem.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    My 2 cents -- get the DSLR. There is only so much you can do & learn with a prosumer. Once you get used to it, you would start itching for a DSLR. So, instead of spending money on 2 camera bodies, invest one time in a proper one. I've been through this cycle & I have a prosumer in a dry cabinet now that hardly gets out :P.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Gim Boon Tai
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    I think quite a lot of people are too psychotic about cleaning lenses and bodies. If proper care is given normally, I only need to clean it about once a month. Some people seem to be really fussy and can't stand a spot of dust on the lens.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by nyxx88
    My 2 cents -- get the DSLR. There is only so much you can do & learn with a prosumer. Once you get used to it, you would start itching for a DSLR. So, instead of spending money on 2 camera bodies, invest one time in a proper one. I've been through this cycle & I have a prosumer in a dry cabinet now that hardly gets out :P.
    Same here
    My P100's battery is probably dead by now from inactivity.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Finally gotten myself a Canon Powershot A95 at Comex in June. My first camera. Pretty impressed with the pictures that churned out of the camera. But seemingly it still lack of speed for sports and flash modes to enhance shots in the night. I've consulted friends around me whether to upgrade to a prosumer like Canon S2 IS or a DSLR like Nikon D70s, most of them would say "just get a DSLR". Well they're all DSLR users. Another reason is that my job may get pretty hectic by next year, as I knew a DSLR will require much more attention and maintenance, would a prosumer be less time consuming? So I would like to hear from your opinions. Thanks.
    A basic DSLR set +kit lens is not going to help you much for shooting sports, or for flash "enhancing" shots at night. How well do your friends owning dslrs shoot sports or pictures at night with flash?

    Understand you are going to have to devote an alarming amount of money into more equipment if these are the two things you intend to reason a dslr purchase on. Yes a dslr is a better buy vs a prosumer, but do weigh it against your needs, future use and budget. I suggest getting by to next year before making a decision if a dslr/prosumer is the way to go.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    A basic DSLR set +kit lens is not going to help you much for shooting sports, or for flash "enhancing" shots at night. How well do your friends owning dslrs shoot sports or pictures at night with flash?

    Understand you are going to have to devote an alarming amount of money into more equipment if these are the two things you intend to reason a dslr purchase on. Yes a dslr is a better buy vs a prosumer, but do weigh it against your needs, future use and budget. I suggest getting by to next year before making a decision if a dslr/prosumer is the way to go.

    Haha I think kruger's gonna get scared off after reading yr post!

    Ok I wouldn't describe the amount of money spent as alarming, unless you're aiming for top grade equipment, which in my opinion is unnecessary unless you're a pro or have spare cash to burn. A decent zoom can get pretty nice sports shots, and a casual use external flash can yield very good night shots. Both won't cost an arm and a leg.

    Of course you can't expect top grade shots like those in print, but they're gd enough for personal use.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    dont forget after shooting need to post process

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Haha I think kruger's gonna get scared off after reading yr post!

    Ok I wouldn't describe the amount of money spent as alarming, unless you're aiming for top grade equipment, which in my opinion is unnecessary unless you're a pro or have spare cash to burn. A decent zoom can get pretty nice sports shots, and a casual use external flash can yield very good night shots. Both won't cost an arm and a leg.

    Of course you can't expect top grade shots like those in print, but they're gd enough for personal use.
    I concede 'Gd enough for personal use' is based on personal expectations, but there are many people out there who automatically ride on the 'upgrade'/'buy buy buy' wave once they get their hands on a dslr. I imagine I too would be like that when my day comes.

    i'm sure there've been a few people who have bought a dslr but end up seldom using it. Now that's just wasting your money. So seriously consider if what you have right now, a prosumer or a dslr is what you need. For casual outing with friends, some people don't like to bring out their dslrs 'cos it's too bulky, scared get stolen, etc. They very much prefer something smaller and less 'pro'-looking. So i think, if you're not totally into photography, a prosumer should be enough.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    I think quite a lot of people are too psychotic about cleaning lenses and bodies. If proper care is given normally, I only need to clean it about once a month. Some people seem to be really fussy and can't stand a spot of dust on the lens.
    Sometimes dust, esp on my lenses, just bugs me. Argh...

    There is more learning capacity in there if you were to use a DSLR. As long as you have the basic foundations like the basic part of "what is exposure". I think you are more or less prepared for more.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Finally gotten myself a Canon Powershot A95 at Comex in June. My first camera. Pretty impressed with the pictures that churned out of the camera. But seemingly it still lack of speed for sports and flash modes to enhance shots in the night. I've consulted friends around me whether to upgrade to a prosumer like Canon S2 IS or a DSLR like Nikon D70s, most of them would say "just get a DSLR". Well they're all DSLR users. Another reason is that my job may get pretty hectic by next year, as I knew a DSLR will require much more attention and maintenance, would a prosumer be less time consuming? So I would like to hear from your opinions. Thanks.
    Canon S2 IS is the choice for you...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    1,117

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to put on hold of purchasing a DSLR. I'm considering of selling off my A95 and upgrade to S2IS. But will Canon launch S3 is a question that's holding me up again.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to put on hold of purchasing a DSLR. I'm considering of selling off my A95 and upgrade to S2IS. But will Canon launch S3 is a question that's holding me up again.

    Me from Fuji (can't remember model) to Minolta F100 to Kodak 6490 to Canon A95 (9 months) to Canon S2SI (6 months) to Nikon D50 user (all in a space of 6 years... ) - just jump straight into D50 if you have are a upgrade freak...... will save lots of money!
    From my 2 Canons, the pics are just too "soft" for me.... D50's sharpness great! But this is a personal preference. Hope I will be happy with my D50 for a long while......

  17. #17

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    I am a professional now, but I am actually spending less money on photography compared to several years ago when I was an amateur. How can this be true? You may ask.

    All I can say is one learn from the costly mistakes he or she makes. Now, I have less gears than I used to. Only the necessary items.

    Most amateurs make the mistake of overbuy and undersell.
    Last edited by photobum; 19th December 2005 at 10:45 PM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    u just got the a95 brand new and u're asking now?

    if u do change cams, what will happen to it?

    i say just use it first, as you say, u were impressed by the pics that it took.

    btw.. IT didn't take the pics. YOU did.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to put on hold of purchasing a DSLR. I'm considering of selling off my A95 and upgrade to S2IS. But will Canon launch S3 is a question that's holding me up again.
    There will always be improvement in technology, and better models coming out. Unless you have lots of money to spare, ie change camera like changing clothes, then only buy the camera when you most need it. Don't worry, there will be a new model coming out. The important question is whether the model you are looking at suits your needs and preference. Else just make do with what you have. Work within the limits of your camera. The camera is a tool that you need to get used to, so that you can get the photos you want/visualise.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Budding photographer queries

    Quote Originally Posted by kruger
    Thanks for all the comments. I've decided to put on hold of purchasing a DSLR. I'm considering of selling off my A95 and upgrade to S2IS. But will Canon launch S3 is a question that's holding me up again.
    Haha and 6 mths after you buy the S2/S3, I'll see a thread down here entitled "Which dSLR to buy" or "350D or D70s a better buy" by you! I just know it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •