Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Filter Question

  1. #1

    Default Filter Question

    Hi, recently i bought a Hoya Uv filter. On it it states UV-Guard and nothing else.Is this considered the normal type?I understand that there are Hmc and higher end ones but the model isn't stated on mine.Anyone can shed some light?Thanks
    Last edited by StreetPumpkin; 2nd December 2005 at 10:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetPumpkin
    I understand that there are Hmc and higher end ones but the model isn't stated on mine.
    (Someone correct me if I am wrong). HMC and higher ones willl be stated on the ring of the filter. (For example, HOYA HMC 77mm). If there is nothing stated about HMC, it should be the standard one.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by pRoLoS3r
    (Someone correct me if I am wrong). HMC and higher ones willl be stated on the ring of the filter. (For example, HOYA HMC 77mm). If there is nothing stated about HMC, it should be the standard one.
    I guess so, man ... This is what I observed too

  4. #4

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Thanks guys.Paid $25 for it at ap for a 67mm seems to be overpriced.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetPumpkin
    Thanks guys.Paid $25 for it at ap for a 67mm seems to be overpriced.
    confirm I only pay 18 when I last brought it.
    Today just brought a new hoya super HMC

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Filter Question

    a bit over, can get for 20 or less for a 67mm.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Filter Question

    I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible? End up i still paid $25
    Last edited by StreetPumpkin; 2nd December 2005 at 11:07 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetPumpkin
    I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible? End up i still paid $25
    I also always kanna such things. Cant help it. Lolz.

    Since we are on the topic of filter about HMC, I hope streetpumpkin dont mind i ask a question.

    Do you all find a big jump between HMC, Super HMC and Standard UV filters?
    Last edited by pRoLoS3r; 3rd December 2005 at 12:40 AM.

  9. #9
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Filter Question

    I find major difference/jump between Hoya and Nikon

  10. #10

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by pRoLoS3r
    I also always kanna such things. Cant help it. Lolz.

    Since we are on the topic of filtera about HMC, I hope streetpumpkin dont mind i ask a question.

    Do you all find a big jump between HMC, Super HMC and Standard UV filters?
    No problem, i'm learning as well.Long way to go

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetPumpkin
    I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible? End up i still paid $25
    A little bit over...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetPumpkin
    I told them that it shouldnt cost so much i see people post the price here.When i ask how come others can get it cheaper i got an explanation that others could have bought camera from them at a higher price so they sold the filters to them at a lower price.Sensible? End up i still paid $25
    What utter nonsense. Should have held out and bought from someone else. Sounds like those sales scams at Sim Lim... sell u the processor and motherboard at low price but force you to buy a casing as part of the bundle at a ridiculously high price.

    Next he'll say if you're a pretty young chick you'll get special discount...spikey hair BMT recruit charge you 10% premium.

    Alan Photo issit? Will make a note not to deal with them.
    Last edited by solarii; 6th December 2005 at 12:28 AM.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    What utter nonsense. Should have held out and bought from someone else. Sounds like those sales scams at Sim Lim... sell u the processor and motherboard at low price but force you to buy a casing as part of the bundle at a ridiculously high price.

    Next he'll say if you're a pretty young chick you'll get special discount...spikey hair BMT recruit charge you 10% premium.
    lolz~~~!!!... nice way of putting things...
    kinda agree with you though. especially the sim lim part.
    when you dunno stuff.... salesman always target that weakness....

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Filter Question

    hoya
    even hmc
    is not high end

    hasselblad, leica, contax, B+W, Lee
    filters
    are high end

    a hasselblad polarising filter can cost $300+ (that was 10 years ago, now I do not know.. maybe $500+)
    same for B+W Kasselmann 67mm polarising filter

    Lee filters are professional grade cost, a bomb.

    the simlim salesman did not con you
    he merely sold it more expensively to you
    it was willing buyer willing seller
    i can accept his explanation that if you buy a costly item from him, say a camera, then he can sell the filter cheaper.
    you can choose not to buy from him

    generally if you want serious photo stuff at proper prices
    avoid simlim square

  15. #15

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Agree with the fact that AlanPhoto overcharge.
    Got a Hoya UV filter for $12 (after bargaining from $15), then found out a few days later that it only costs $8 at TK photo!

    Btw, may i ask what's the acceptable price of a 67mm cir polarizer?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    strewberry farm
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Filter Question

    I got mine Hoya HMC 52mm for $16 is it overprice?
    and 58mm hoya cir polarizer for $40
    Last edited by clarinet; 7th December 2005 at 12:38 AM.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by exhibitj
    Btw, may i ask what's the acceptable price of a 67mm cir polarizer?
    Hoya 67mm Standard Circular Polariser = $57.00

    Refer to http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=161119&page=2 for more info.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    hoya
    even hmc
    is not high end

    hasselblad, leica, contax, B+W, Lee
    filters
    are high end

    a hasselblad polarising filter can cost $300+ (that was 10 years ago, now I do not know.. maybe $500+)
    same for B+W Kasselmann 67mm polarising filter

    Lee filters are professional grade cost, a bomb.

    the simlim salesman did not con you
    he merely sold it more expensively to you
    it was willing buyer willing seller
    i can accept his explanation that if you buy a costly item from him, say a camera, then he can sell the filter cheaper.
    you can choose not to buy from him

    generally if you want serious photo stuff at proper prices
    avoid simlim square

    StreetPumpkin didn't go to Sim Lim, he went to Alan Photo I believe. (He used the acronymn ap so I guess he's referring to them).

  19. #19

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by clarinet
    I got mine Hoya HMC 52mm for $16 is it overprice?
    and 58mm hoya cir polarizer for $40
    Price is okay.. +/- $2.

    StreetPumkin : since you knew the price offered to others, don't buy if they refuse to lower the prices. It's not little difference, quite a lot for a filter. You know the alternatives, CP, MS, etc.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    sing
    Posts
    3,353

    Default Re: Filter Question

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    StreetPumpkin didn't go to Sim Lim, he went to Alan Photo I believe. (He used the acronymn ap so I guess he's referring to them).
    Alan Photo is a shop on the ground floor of Sim Lim Square. I have been there. Never buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •