Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussie drug trafficker hung.

Default Re: Aussie drug trafficker hung.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    that is definitely not nice to say. strongly recommend you take it back.
    Okok. Since many members want it closed, i take all my words back and swollow down. Sorry to all.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Okok. Since many members want it closed, i take all my words back and swollow down. Sorry to all.

you do the right thing.

I actually know an ABC retired staff correspondent, very intelligent, well travelled, mature man, yet he also exihibit a single-minded objection to capital punishment, as a matter of principle. my respond is simply: agree to disagree. that said, we still retain the final right to do what is necessary within our jurisdiction. that too, is final.

Nothing is ever final, laws are repealed from time to time. Taking a human life is never an easy issue to deal with.

Life behind bars would serve a better punishment, there have been so many cases in many countries where the innocent were sent to the gallows and later found out to be innocent.

Even with DNA evidence it cannot take away the 0.000x% chance that the evidence could be wrong or tampered or framed.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123
    Nothing is ever final, laws are repealed from time to time.
    ../azul123
    what I meant was "final" as at this point in time, on our stature books.

Strangely, after reading all the posts........I agree with everyone of them

For or Against capital punishment, views of nations, life and death.......

End of the day, I still can't make up my mind on S3pro or D200 ley
    Help !

Nothing is ever final, laws are repealed from time to time. Taking a human life is never an easy issue to deal with.

Life behind bars would serve a better punishment, there have been so many cases in many countries where the innocent were sent to the gallows and later found out to be innocent.

Even with DNA evidence it cannot take away the 0.000x% chance that the evidence could be wrong or tampered or framed.

../azul123
    I completely agree with what you say. Unfortunately, we don't live in a very compassionate society.

Many Australians have reacted emotionally towards the death of Nguyen Tuong Van. There were scenes of people who didn't know him openly wept for him in the streets.

The permission to allow personal contact between him and his mother in their last meeting was the result of Australian PM personal appeal to Singaporean PM. I think John Howard and the Australian foreign minister have acted statmanlike in seeking clemency while cautioning against sanction against the island state.

This is the first time we've seen the new Singapore PM handle a tricky international situation from abroad. He acted with restrain. LKY would not have let the Australian attorney-general get off lighting for calling the punishment barbaric.

This is the day that we are saddened by the wasted life of a young man. Hopefully his death will be a lesson for the many young Australians who travel to South East Asian countries for other than a holiday.
    Last edited by Sion; 3rd December 2005 at 07:56 PM.

Let his end be a deterrent to all drug addicts and traffickers. The government took a good stand on this one. Hopefully his one death has saved potentially more than 20,000 people from the clutches of heroin.

Surely his death is much a disputed fact right now; a family friend of ours in Sydney are being harrassed by kids saying we are murderers. The aftermath is there I presumed, but it should be over soon.

I was fearing that our businesses may hurt, such as Australians avoiding products from Singapore, avoiding visiting Singapore, avoiding our airlines, and furthermore - Optus the SingTel owned 2nd largest Australian Telco, may suffer.

:|

my sympathies to his mother
    Last edited by righton; 3rd December 2005 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    I was fearing that our businesses may hurt, such as Australians avoiding products from Singapore, avoiding visiting Singapore, avoiding our airlines, and furthermore - Optus the SingTel owned 2nd largest Australian Telco, may suffer.

:|
    Yes and I guess if he was given a more lenient sentence of a few year in Prison which can send the signal that encourages more drug dealers to smuggle their poison via Singapore to get more of our Singaporeans or nearby asean countries hooked on it or die from it...That would be the "acceptable" things for all Australian? And for us Singaporean to just roll over and die? What seem to be lost on all this is simpleton pro-lifers is the fact that this drug smuggler did this illegal act knowing full well what harm he is causing others and yes some of those he sell to will die from using it due t overdose and also badly made drugs. Death is never pleasant...whether you take a life to defend a life or you do it to deter a dangerous practice like trafficking drugs. Nobody force the drug into his hand and force him to sell it at gun point. No one force him to fly to Singapore and be caught and sentenced. He choose to do it knowing full well if he is caught, he will be made to pay the price with his life but... he also knows very well if he managed to sell it, he will get alot of money...blood money as it might be. So he was willing to take the risk. If after he got caught and not he change his tune..well...tough sh*t. I personally have no sympathy for such people who choose to try to make easy money by making others a slave or a dead corpse to a deadly vice. Everyone wants to speak for the cruelty done to the drug smuggler? Who will stand up and speak and fight for all those victims he had sold to previously before he got caught? This man choose to waste his life.

The death sentence is a deterent but if you force the law of the land's hand to enforce it when you choose to break it, Singapore or any country that support this punishment will have to carry it through.
    Don't need to worry too much about boycott action from them too much. IF they willnot boycott us for this hanging, they will use another reason to threatning that again. This is so over done in so many inter-country issues. How much of this negative sentiment is drum up by the people or the govt or the special interest group who want to take advantage of this situation to make a buck we are all not 100% aware about...but this is not the first time in history it has been the case.
    Last edited by sammy888; 3rd December 2005 at 06:32 PM.

On the day that Van Nguyen was executed, a HK fellow student brought a bunch of four of us Singaporean students to a Vietnamese beef noodle restaurant to eat.

I don't know if its hard to spot Singaporeans (as opposed to Malaysians or HKers or other ethnic Chinese) but if the staff there knew that we were Singaporean, they sure didn't show it.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    I completely agree with what you say. Unfortunately, we don't live in a very compassionate society.
    That is very unfortunate indeed...

I wonder does a person die instantly from hanging or after a short struggle... If the person's neck snapped, that would be an instant death, right? but if it didn't snap would there be a struggle before dying?

../azul123

I wonder does a person die instantly from hanging or after a short struggle... If the person's neck snapped, that would be an instant death, right? but if it didn't snap would there be a struggle before dying?

../azul123
    Respect the dead.
    The wondering of how people die getting a bit graphic.
    Can we stop here? Can moderator pull the plug on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex
    Respect the dead.
    The wondering of how people die getting a bit graphic.
    Can we stop here? Can moderator pull the plug on this thread?
    By being graphic thus one realise that some laws are archaic, respecting the dead is by doing justice to those still living and going thru death row, are there still dead man walking here?

../azul123

Lightbulb Re: Aussie drug trafficker hung.

some time back, i remembered that the aussie govt 'gave in' to singapore govt by releasing a uk citizen who alleged murdered his chauffer and his girlfirend and left their bodies in a car in orchard towers. he went to australia thinking he would not be repatriated to singapore. our govt committed to a decision of no hanging if he was found guilty. in the end, he was repatriated. so, it could be a reciprocal to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

The permission to allow personal contact between him and his mother in their last meeting was the result of Australian PM personal appeal to Singaporean PM.

../azul123
    The neck is broken and the person is rendered unconcious at the same time. Death occurs in the next 20 minutes or so by asphyxiation. When done properly it's painless and it's very humane. If it goes wrong then it's a either decapitation or a slow painful death.

Note: I'm opposed to the death penalty, however I respect the soverign rights of nations to do ast hey see fit.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    No, i dun think aussies thinks that drugs trafficking is no big deal. To them, its just not humane to kill a person for any offence.
    Not quite true actually. Polls indicated 47% in favour, 46% against and 7% undecided. As I said in my first post, it's the hypocrasy of the press here that gets on my nerves and I'm saying that as an ex-member of the press.

Take for example the West Australian or TCN Ch 9 (TV station), both of whom ran extensive campaigns for the death penatly to be applied to Sheik Abu Bakar Bashir and his followers for the so called Bali Bombing. As well the afformentioned mass media outlets have been pro death penalty for locally convicted repeat sex offenders etc, yet when it comes to an Aussie on death row they suddenly come out against capital punishment. A fact I find not only morally bankrupt and dishonest but extremely manipulative of the general public at large.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Not quite true actually. Polls indicated 47% in favour, 46% against and 7% undecided. As I said in my first post, it's the hypocrasy of the press here that gets on my nerves and I'm saying that as an ex-member of the press.

Take for example the West Australian or TCN Ch 9 (TV station), both of whom ran extensive campaigns for the death penatly to be applied to Sheik Abu Bakar Bashir and his followers for the so called Bali Bombing. As well the afformentioned mass media outlets have been pro death penalty for locally convicted repeat sex offenders etc, yet when it comes to an Aussie on death row they suddenly come out against capital punishment. A fact I find not only morally bankrupt and dishonest but extremely manipulative of the general public at large.
    From what i know, those in favour of the death penalty is because of the respect of SG's Law. Not favour the death penalty. But your point is taken. I've also read that some aussies are not happy about hypocritical part of the press and their fellow countrymen.

But anyway, case close la. I've taken back what i said here cos i have to respect the members' requests.

There are many ways that the death penalty is executed worldwide. All are not humane. If i am on a death row, and given a choice, i dun wanna be hung, put thru firing squad or lethal injection. I wanna ride the lightning.

Somehow, we managed to forget the other 154,999 humans who died yesterday...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast