Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

  1. #1

    Default my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    OMG

    I only bring one lens + K3 with me to USA going Lake Tahoe.
    and it cannot auto forcus.
    Try to reset camera body, can auto forcus for few mins and now cannot again

    What can I do?

    IF using manual forcus. do I just turn the lens untill I hear a beep sound = object in forcus?
    Any sugguestions

    THANKS

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post
    OMG

    I only bring one lens + K3 with me to USA going Lake Tahoe.
    and it cannot auto forcus.
    Try to reset camera body, can auto forcus for few mins and now cannot again

    What can I do?

    IF using manual forcus. do I just turn the lens untill I hear a beep sound = object in forcus?
    Any sugguestions

    THANKS
    Yup, for manual focus, you can turn to focus and hear the beep to indicate focus..
    Is your lens still SDM or converted to screw drive mode??

  3. #3

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    in SDM
    never modified before

  4. #4

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    IS it easy to do it?

    if easy maybe I do it myself in San Francisco

  5. #5

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Last edited by pinholecam; 25th November 2016 at 07:20 AM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)


  7. #7

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

    the quick fix works .

    really appreciate your help.

    can finally use the lens again

    thanks

  8. #8

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    but after the SDM start to work,

    I try the method of turning the lens 360deg, thinking that it will make the lens smoother.
    but WRONG thing to do . the O'Ring within the lens broke and it went it to the "Range indicator" of the lens.
    Now my lens is struck, cannot even manual focus the lens

    Not its officially damaged, must send for repair (replace the oring)

  9. #9

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post
    but after the SDM start to work,

    I try the method of turning the lens 360deg, thinking that it will make the lens smoother.
    but WRONG thing to do . the O'Ring within the lens broke and it went it to the "Range indicator" of the lens.
    Now my lens is struck, cannot even manual focus the lens

    Not its officially damaged, must send for repair (replace the oring)

    omg........ zzzz

  10. #10

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post
    but after the SDM start to work,

    I try the method of turning the lens 360deg, thinking that it will make the lens smoother.
    but WRONG thing to do . the O'Ring within the lens broke and it went it to the "Range indicator" of the lens.
    Now my lens is struck, cannot even manual focus the lens

    Not its officially damaged, must send for repair (replace the oring)
    Aiya!

    I guess that thing was going to go sooner or later and might have been the cause of the problem.
    Just take it that it better spoil now than in the field.

    Hope you get things fixed before the trip.

  11. #11

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Aiya!

    I guess that thing was going to go sooner or later and might have been the cause of the problem.
    Just take it that it better spoil now than in the field.

    Hope you get things fixed before the trip.
    Im in the mid of my USA trip. hahahahah

  12. #12

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    I had the EXACT same problem with my DA 16-50/2.8.
    SDM failed initially, but was able to use it after leaving the capacitor to charge with the camera attached and switched on.
    Then, the cable snapped.
    Sent it in for repairs twice, took a lot of time and $$.
    I love Pentax, but my 50-135/2.8 SDM failed too.
    Have since moved on to Nikon, and am using it as my primary system.
    Still occasionally play with my Pentax gear, ergonomics are better and I miss the Shake Reduction. But reliability was appalling

  13. #13

    Default Re: my DA* 16-50 cannot auto forcus ( need urgent advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by morganoh View Post
    Im in the mid of my USA trip. hahahahah
    oops!

    Maybe try to get a 18-55 kit lens or something.
    Or even a Samyang 14/2.8, 21/2.8 if you can live with one lens. (these are cheaper in the US too)

    Sorry to hear about your issues.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •