Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi to all photo friends, also needs advise.

Default Re: Hi to all photo friends, also needs advise.

if i go down,i take a photo of that william soon's face.

so angry that fellow photographer taken advantages.
    copyright my photos,if he download then i report police.

One way to protect ourselves is to let people have the small image and file size like less than 100kB that is good for web, but not good for publishing or printing. That is something called sample, and you keep the full-size original. and you can readily send such files thru' the net as well.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

I think Sarah did the right thing by sharing this incident! Now the photography community knows abt this character.
    Mabbe those who got "invitation" by him should go there just to expose him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefen
    Heng you tell me ah! I was supposed to meet him later this week. Cancelled liaoz...

"
    Hi Stefen

I run MICHWORLD the magazine and someone referred you to me as I am
    looking to build up a team of photographer and in particular having one
    that can work on our lifstyle shots.

Can we meet up say next week Monday 5th at 10am? Ngee Ann CIty Tower A #13-08

Rgds
    William Soon
    CEO/Director
    MICHEWILLIAMS INTERNATIONAL HOLDING PTE LTD
    6832 5523
    "

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    What? 50 bucks per image. If I have 50 good pics, I get 1k liao. Too good to be true la.
    Your maths not too good leh ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Blog Entries

make that 20 good images

Checked out the website, it looks frankly very professional! Very impressive layout, nice use of colours but wait!! Did anyone noticed something? The company was formed in April 2005? Thats what? Less than 7 months old.... And it makes no mention of the founders. Who are they are and what is their background. And if you look at page one under who we are. Its all in future tense... "We WILL" this "We WILL" that......

It looks very much like one of those MLM programs...... but just that disguised in another form....
    Last edited by centuryegg; 5th December 2005 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Your maths not too good leh ....
    I was just trying to test you people leh.

My maths returned to my Prof long time ago liao. Even for the simple arithmetic operations, need a calculator.....

look out.. if your images happens to be published.. then the fun will starts...

Sarah: Tx for sharing. Now the challenge is to prove that your photos were used for publication. Do you have samples of those photos to share with us? Since there are so many pairs of eyes here at CS, we may be able to keep a lookout for you.

Very frankly, dont mean to pour cold water over you but be prepared that there is nothing you can do about the whole matter. My gut feeling is that this guy won't pay and he will ignore any legal action taken. In fact for all you know he might reregister his company under a different name not long in the future.

I mean read the website, does anyone here really understand what is his company doing? It sounds really like a fly by night company. Guess the moral of the story is to find out first about the company before just selling off your prints.

Very Often, the terms of payment is 60 days and it's a matter of habit that it drags to 90 days and beyond. If it ever drag on longer, it becomes Bad Debt and has got to be written off. This is very common in the supply of goods and services.

If you have say 100 customers and got say 3 who never pay at all, your business is still OK.

I have abdolutely no idea what the company is up to. Quite honestly, looks like a scam to me. Most of the links there don't work indeed.

But honestly, I don't think there is much that can be done without incurring high legal costs. Though I sympthise with you in this matter, I think there isn't much to be said or done.

However, I may suggest that you bring this matter to the SCT and see how to go from there, though I'm really rusty about how things at the SCT work...

Sarah,

First off $50 per image for a magazine is a rip off, if you aren't gettting at least a couple of hundred per image it's not even worth getting out of bed to go shooting.

I take it you haven't been paid yet? If you haven't then your best recourse is to talk with a lawyer and determine if you can sue Mr Soon for breach of contract (verbal) and most likely theft of your work and or fraud or obtaining by false premis etc. A chat with the local police is also worthwhile and any consumer advocacy groups etc.

The last recourse is to contact the Singaporean Professional Photographers Association, or it's equivalent (there is one I hope) and drop the sod in it there. You'd be amazed at how quickly word gets around the pro ranks about dodgy clients who don't pay.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian
    Sarah,

First off $50 per image for a magazine is a rip off, if you aren't gettting at least a couple of hundred per image it's not even worth getting out of bed to go shooting.

I take it you haven't been paid yet? If you haven't then your best recourse is to talk with a lawyer and determine if you can sue Mr Soon for breach of contract (verbal) and most likely theft of your work and or fraud or obtaining by false premis etc. A chat with the local police is also worthwhile and any consumer advocacy groups etc.

The last recourse is to contact the Singaporean Professional Photographers Association, or it's equivalent (there is one I hope) and drop the sod in it there. You'd be amazed at how quickly word gets around the pro ranks about dodgy clients who don't pay.
    No offence but have seen quite a few of such companies in my work. Most prob Sarah has to be prepared to lose the photos and to get a lawyer to fight a case might not really work. This company is most likely a one man show and a con job. The legal procedures will work against a proper organisation but for this company, it will be more likely the letters from the lawyers will end up in the dustbin each time it arrives at his office.

A cheaper way is to write to the magazine mentioning that you own the copyrights of the photos and it can't publish them without payment and your consent. If they do so you'll sue.

So they can have your photos but they can't use them.

A lesson we learn from this thread is: do not part with your photos unless money or purchase order changes hands. If they want something for visuals give them a low res jpegs or print-outs.

Also when you sell them a photo for publication get them sign up an agreement that the photo is for one time publication and stipulate the duration of usage.

It is not wise to go to the market without arming yourself with the necessary information as there are so many sharks out.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    Checked out the website, it looks frankly very professional! Very impressive layout, nice use of colours but wait!! Did anyone noticed something? The company was formed in April 2005? Thats what? Less than 7 months old.... And it makes no mention of the founders. Who are they are and what is their background. And if you look at page one under who we are. Its all in future tense... "We WILL" this "We WILL" that......

It looks very much like one of those MLM programs...... but just that disguised in another form....
    Quote Originally Posted by Slivester
    The site www.michewilliams.com smells a little fishy; apparently its a pre-fabricated template, those we can easily buy with a credit card. The host did not even make an initiative to change the coporate logo, all of the links are invaild, a strong sign of template-site. The privacy policy do have the company name and contact though.
    I agree with you on the part of professionalism, its widely available as templates.

try to do a search with RCB, to see if his company is registered... If they are going publish any mag, i think they need to register with the authority also... Can anyone confirm on this.

I did a search at http://www.acra.gov.sg/general/directory.html under Directory of Companies / Business /Limited Liability Partnerships Names
    and it return a positive result . Checked on 05 Dec 2005 2315hr(GMT +10 DLS)

S/No.

Reg. No.
    200505213M

Business / Company / LLP Name
    MICHEWILLIAMS INTERNATIONAL HOLDING PTE. LTD.

Status on Register
    Live
    -----------
    Thus it is consider as a legal entity. And if what you say is true, u can take action against the company and/or the person in charge and/or the person whom you deal with. Better check with any lawyer, they will be able to give you a proper advise
    Last edited by clarinet; 5th December 2005 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by centuryegg
    No offence but have seen quite a few of such companies in my work. Most prob Sarah has to be prepared to lose the photos and to get a lawyer to fight a case might not really work. This company is most likely a one man show and a con job. The legal procedures will work against a proper organisation but for this company, it will be more likely the letters from the lawyers will end up in the dustbin each time it arrives at his office.
    No offence taken.

I write from a more Aussie viewpoint in such matters and also from 28+ years experience in recovering debts from people who won't pay for work.

In the end it though it serves as a warning to all, use proper and legally binding contracts that are valid in the country of the client, or stipulate in such contracts a court and juridisdiction where any issues will be resolved. Sadly too many photographers are useless or near useless on the business side and legal side of the industry, which in part gives rise to companies constantly taking liberties with photographers. The bottom line, contract in writing everything in detail.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!

Well, wad can I say?

By taking ur images, using them, not paying for them is as good as stealing.

U shld have stayed on and waited for the police. On what grounds does he have the right to evict u frm the premises when he's obviously at fault?

Unfortunately, I couldn't help u much since I'm not in the legal field. But den again, all I could say is that, in such a case, where showing ur portfolio, hardcopies are always better den softcopies.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast