Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dSLR weakness?

Default Re: dSLR weakness?

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    actually it has. carry it the whole day and you get toned muscles and a stronger neck.
    Didn't happen to me though, and I do carry it for whole days

I got a sore neck, back and waist. But same waistline. Not sure if I got a thicker neck.

It should have some kind of shiatsu press when I sling them over my back and neck.

hmm.. dSLR ah.. can tell me where to go buy digital film?.. how much 1 roll ah?

Quote Originally Posted by shinken
    Didn't happen to me though, and I do carry it for whole days
    I got a sore neck, back and waist. But same waistline. Not sure if I got a thicker neck.
    It should have some kind of shiatsu press when I sling them over my back and neck.
    try carrying it around your waist
    Last edited by michhy; 2nd December 2005 at 01:59 PM.

do you know the reason to keep the sensor inactive until there is a need to capture the image?

there's nothing wrong with getting a live preview as seen by the sensor but are you willing to pay to price of getting noisier pics with much shorter battery lifespan?

You can probably do some research on why the sensor is kept hidden in the dark on standby mode until there's a need to capture the image.

But please do put in some effort before complaining.

If you are really dying for live preview on a DSLR you can always get the Canon 20Da, Fujifilm S3Pro or ZigViewer.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munwai
    hmm.. dSLR ah.. can tell me where to go buy digital film?.. how much 1 roll ah?
    abt $6.50 one roll, $7+ if u want slide. but hor... u need to cut it into small squares urself leh. and the changing bag is not included for loading and unloading of film...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

but technically speaking, I regard this as a compromise.
    Is dSLR trying too hard to imitate an SLR?
    Its digital, for God's sake, what's wrong with a live preview as seen by the sensor?
    It's not actually "as seen by the sensor". Which is why it's not WYSIWYG. It's a very compromised view of what goes into the composition. For live-preview, you only get the composition. You can't judge accurately the DOF, the light intensity, the light source etc. It's not real time. Even my LCD screen on the DSLR tell lies about how the picture looks. My picture very often look blown in the LCD, but the histogram says otherwise. If the image is "projected" via a video mode to give an impression of "live preview", it'll tell even more lies. It could also translate into a lag in which the image information is written, AF speed or what nots. Try to research further into the subject instead of just shooting it off cold like this.

Technically speaking, I find a "Live preview" a good to have too. It allows composition in awkward angles where u can't stick the eye at the viewfinder.

However, this immediately translates into building a whole lot more mechanisms into an otherwise already very packed body. That's one. Another compromise will be on battery life itself, although one can argue that the livepreview can be turned off. It also means added weight, with the added mechanisms. Already, there are people giving up Pro bodies because of the weight, as a compromise for what they lose on pro features. So weight and size are very serious considerations. It also definitely means higher costs. I would hate to pay for a feature which I don't find useful.

But it's a good to have. I definitely wouldn't want live-preview at the expense of weight, size, battery life, lousy internal design (which translates to durability). If it's a must have to you, there's always the prosumer series.
    Last edited by shinken; 2nd December 2005 at 02:07 PM.

Its digital, for God's sake, what's wrong with a live preview as seen by the sensor?
    well, if u ask me.. a dSLR is not trying too hard to imitate an SLR..

its IS an SLR.. just that its digital... (thats my own opinion)

the mirror that blocks e sensor has its uses due to e fact that SLR require changing of lenses for different situations... what do u think will happen to the sensor if someone was to remove the lens of their pns with live preview?

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    abt $6.50 one roll, $7+ if u want slide. but hor... u need to cut it into small squares urself leh. and the changing bag is not included for loading and unloading of film...
    oorhh.. so-tat's-na...

so after cutting into square square pieces.. then i can put together..
    into those thingie ..call.. Compact Film .. CF cards ..rite!?

..i see.. i see...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munwai
    oorhh.. so-tat's-na...

so after cutting into square square pieces.. then i can put together..
    into those thingie ..call.. Compact Film .. CF cards ..rite!?

..i see.. i see...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed.” ― Deeksha Mittal

Hmm... why dun think it in the other direction? It is a SLR and manufacturer just replace
    the film part with a electronic sensor. Live preview will drain battery.

But it's a good to have. I definitely wouldn't want live-preview at the expense of weight, size, battery life, lousy internal design (which translates to durability). If it's a must have to you, there's always the prosumer series.
    Thank you for the reply. Yours is the more decent one among the rest (tho the rest are funny). I'm currently looking at the Sony DSC-R1, which a friend told me is as close to a dSLR in terms of image quality as a prosumer can get (due to sensor design and size). It will have live preview and same noise levels as dSLR, which is something very much welcomed to finally fill the void of consumers who wants high quality images but short of a dSLR camera.

What are your opinions on the DSC-R1? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75

Thank you for the reply. Yours is the more decent one among the rest (tho the rest are funny). I'm currently looking at the Sony DSC-R1, which a friend told me is as close to a dSLR in terms of image quality as a prosumer can get (due to sensor design and size). It will have live preview and same noise levels as dSLR, which is something very much welcomed to finally fill the void of consumers who wants high quality images but short of a dSLR camera.

Dun take us seriously lah just fooling around.

On Sony R1, not much comments. Haven't used it yet. Specs looks very good, if that comment is of any use at all. Oh, it is extremely bulky. I handled it, found it extremely huge.

But here's a thread on it in case you missed it.

On Sony R1, not much comments. Haven't used it yet. Specs looks very good, if that comment is of any use at all. Oh, it is extremely bulky. I handled it, found it extremely huge.
    Can weight lift with it I definately need more muscles on the bicep

The R1's AF cannot be compared to DSLRs. That is something you might wish to consider if our subjects are moving when you shoot. The handling of the R1 is not as good as the 828. Also its hotshoe is in a weird position.

as has already been mentioned, the mirror gets in the way of the sensor until the moment the picture is taken.

two alternatives: 1) split the light. but this might mean using a different kind of mirror. 2) mirror-lockup during preview

another problem is that live preview may affect image quality, as the sensor has to be on for a long time, so will heat up and cause more noise.

that may be why sony r1 pictures, while very good compared to smaller sensor cameras, are still not as good as dslr pix.

see these previews for more info on the r1

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscr1/
    http://luminous-landscape.com/review.../sony-r1.shtml
    Last edited by pai; 2nd December 2005 at 02:36 PM.

Deregistered

WAHAHA... this is a good one!!!

I would want also to have a live-preview... it may seem though today as impossible but who knows... research & development never stops.. things become better & better through technology... weight, size & battery life problems will be anwered in due time... possibilities are limitless..

ON DSC-R1, specs looks good.. but maybe you need to asses also what do you want to take or to learn more about photography, then review them against the capabilities of DSC-R1.

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

the biggest weakness of most DSLRs nowadays = The Users.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast