Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What jobs are you holding right now?

Originally posted by rochkoh

Many organisations make the mistake of outsourcing a project they have completely no knowledge of. In the process of which they'd probably hope to bring in some outside expertise on the technology. These projects will run into trouble very quickly. Cause the project manager don't know exactly what results he want / don't know what deliverables to receive. And if he did receive them, he wouldn't know what to do with them.

My company outsources almost everything. Reason : It simply takes too much time for the perm staff to learn & get up to speed (ie learning curve).

Thanks for the reply everyone. I enjoy reading your comments on the issue.

JaDe
    Guests

Currently a slacker...
    Looking for job after 18th...
    Next June will start being a student...again
    i'm only 17 !

Not a "financial broker" but a stockbroker..... dealing for institutions ie Institutional dealer. Waiting for a bull run since 1999 July.......

woah... roch, what you do har??? PM work is it.... at least you speak like one....

Anthony,

i also in PM work... managing IT projects.
    Now almost everything also outsource liao...
    i agree with roch that many organisations fail to understand the purpose, usefulness,implications of outsourcing. Some orgs even outsource to mitigate risk cause they claim they don know much and it be left to the expert!! imagine that!

PM work is not easy. it is all abt mitigating risk, managing end results, managing resources and managing management's expectations.
    The person to hang or to give a medal to at the end of the project is the PM.
    In my experience, the PM may not always be the subject-matter expert, but he at least need to be familiar with it. If he is not, then at least one of the project team members must be. So it is still impt to keep up to date, so that you can manage the end results and also not be smoke by vendor and get the best deal for your company.
    The learning for a PM is very diff from learning of a, say, programmer. Both learn and are concern abt diff things. and vendor management is a difficult but valueable skill to acquire. Things like SLA and KPIs and contract negotiation.... are not easy to handle, typically a lot of conflict to manage.

In a sense, you can see yourself moving up the "value-chain" by doing PM type of work. Hands-on work is just being valued less, rightly or wrongly. That's how the corporate world is.......

I'm from the manufacturing line, doing component manufacturing. roygoh should know.

Currently, the company I am working for (notice how I never said my company ) is going to close down in the 2nd quarter next year and by then I would be jobless.

Tried applying for a job online and found that there is a total of 166 applicants vying for that particular job, some of which have even better qualifications than you.

Jobs are getting more and more difficult nowadays.

Hmmm, looks like I might join 9L next year.

Originally posted by NitroTech
    Not a "financial broker" but a stockbroker..... dealing for institutions ie Institutional dealer. Waiting for a bull run since 1999 July.......
    Yo! Broker! Yo U! Yes U broker......any good tips?
    Any good stock to recommend?
    Me need the money to substain this hobby leh.....

Me doing economics research...but going back to school soon. :P

Originally posted by beachbum
    woah... roch, what you do har??? PM work is it.... at least you speak like one....
    hey beachbum,

you can pretty much say that. job description: "Pow Kar Liao".

think i'll go severely off-topic if i'd carried on with my outsourcing rantings..

enjoy!
    rOCh

JaDe
    Guests

Blur~

Originally posted by rochkoh

think i'll go severely off-topic if i'd carried on with my outsourcing rantings..

enjoy!
    rOCh
    i know what you mean.... esp all the vendor management issues... and how stupid the users are and crazy expectations of the management....

Originally posted by anthony.phua
    This question is more directed at the IT guys. Hope you guys can share some of your views gained through your working experience with newbies like me.

I'm feeling fustrated. Even though I work nearly 1.5 years in a big MNC, I do a lot of vendor management rather than getting "down and dirty". My company outsources most of the IT stuff to vendors, leaving the perm staff to do vendor management and other tasks like planning, etc (which in my opinion, is rather boring for a freshie like me).

Here are some questions in my mind:
    1. How do u manage a vendor when u r not sure of what's right/wrong (ie getting smoked by the vendor)
    2. If the project is not going to be maintained by vendors, will we (the perm staff) be capable of "running the show" (even that we've lost touch)?
    3. How do u learn by not doing hands-on? (My company just send us for courses)
    4. I see a lot of jobs asking for hands-on experience..so how do u add value to your resume (in the case..of vendor mgmt)?
    Like to share my experiences as I have worked in various vendor environments for the past 6 years.

The reason why management outsource s/w project is because they do not know how to manage, thus want to migrate the risk to vendor.

1. Vendors do smoke sometime, but most of the time conflicts arised because the customers do not know what they want.

2. Vendors will sell their maintainance services to the Customers and most companies will take it. It's very difficult at best, impossible at worst for the customer to maintain the show. Look at the recent LRT issue, they have to fly the vendor down to repair.

3. Providing courses is another way to suck more money from the companies. Nothing beats the value of practical hands-on working experiences. If you really want hands-on, find a chance to join those vendor companies.

4. Your experiences will be useful as more companies are looking for out-sourcing as their ONLY solution and you definitely can smoke them thru'. Provided you like your job.

P/S: By the way, 90% of the IT Managers in Singapore do not know much / understand about IT. period

Hmm..
    The question is that will there ever be one in these difficult times?
    Uncertainty of war in iraq > gloomy economic outlook > ineminent threats of terrorism around the region....
    Even we have to revise our economic growth..... Quite unpredictable...

I think bonds will be safer in these times of economic uncertainty right? (This I not so sure... correct me if I'm wrong.)
    Last edited by SNAG; 6th November 2002 at 12:04 PM.

Originally posted by SNAG

Hmm..
    Uncertainty of war in iraq > gloomy economic outlook > ineminent threats of terrorism around the region....

I think bonds will be safer in these times of economic uncertainty right? (This I not so sure... correct me if I'm wrong.)
    short ones maybe?

Good luck nitro...

i'm a full time digital media design student........freelancing to pay off my skool fees + my hobbies. so if you need design services i.e. web design/development and/or graphics design, pm me. thanx.
    Last edited by isomers007; 6th November 2002 at 09:25 PM.

hmm... seems many photographers here are in IT lines.

Tom: post doctoral researcher, IT and simulation.

Originally posted by tomshen
    Tom: post doctoral researcher, IT and simulation.
    Hmm, I thought that would be a few post-doctorals around here... did that for a while then quickly realised that post-doctoral work, although very challenging & stimulating to the mind, had one basic flaw - tan bo cia ! Have since moved out into the industrial world where the pay is much more decent.
    Last edited by SzennyBoy; 7th November 2002 at 05:52 AM.

Originally posted by SzennyBoy

Hmm, I thought that would be a few post-doctorals around here... did that for a while then quickly realised that post-doctoral work, although very challenging & stimulating to the mind, had one basic flaw - tan bo cia ! Have since moved out into the industrial world where the pay is much more decent.
    Ya, i guess for me sooner or later. I am a very practical person in nature. But now u know the economy is bad...

Originally posted by SNAG

Hmm..

Yeah, bonds are definitely safer in these times. In fact, i'm doing more bonds then shares nowadays. As for whether there will be a bull run in these tough times..... hmmmm..... I won't say no but not so soon.... I'm looking at the 3rd quarter of 2003. I mean it could come earlier.... not complaining....

And Scanner, we will talk about shares and all when we meet up. Or maybe you could open account with me lah, then we can take it from there.

Yeah, bonds are definitely safer in these times. In fact, i'm doing more bonds then shares nowadays. As for whether there will be a bull run in these tough times..... hmmmm..... I won't say no but not so soon.... I'm looking at the 3rd quarter of 2003. I mean it could come earlier.... not complaining....

And Scanner, we will talk about shares and all when we meet up. Or maybe you could open account with me lah, then we can take it from there.
    Aiyah, your targets shouldn't be us (we are poor blokes who squeeze almost every cent on cameras.... )

You should go target those retired teachers with loads of pension... At least $300k ok! (at least that's what the papers say)

Hahaha...I've trading account long ago....
    Anyway, U provide good tips/advise, I might consider open an account with you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast