Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What jobs are you holding right now?

Me... a mechanical engineer working in the offshore oil & gas industry (mainly in Europe & US).

Originally posted by ckiang

Thanks to our cheaper counterparts in the likes of China and India.

Regards
    CK
    ya lor, damn it, our boss even have a chart saying the cost and quality of programmers in the world. India has low cost programmer with high quality, what a xxxx......

Programming is fun! But nowadays everyone just study a while and claim that they are "programmer", want to fight rice bowl wif u...

Originally posted by chenwei

ya lor, damn it, our boss even have a chart saying the cost and quality of programmers in the world. India has low cost programmer with high quality, what a xxxx......

Programming is fun! But nowadays everyone just study a while and claim that they are "programmer", want to fight rice bowl wif u...
    Engineer tan bo cia (Not much Recognition - LOW PAY!) in this region.

Sonner or later must change line liao.....

Low cost, I agree. But there are certain things that need to be considered, like code-maintenance etc.

My company had a part of a project subcontracted to a company in India. I was quite disappointed at first as I thought I could finally have a taste of EJB development. In the end, it was me who was adding functionalities, fixing bugs and finding work-arounds just to get things "going on", since the subcontractor started to give ridiculous work quotations (and prices) even for simple jobs

:Later,

They are cost less and I am told they are more "eager" and more "motivated" despite their seemingly low pay compared to us. With them around, obviously our motivation also affected what.

Regards
    CK

Web developer. Was the coolest job, not anymore.
    The job market for Web Developers nowadays are... err... cold.

Bet some are eagerly looking forward to Dot Com II (if ever there will be).

Originally posted by Pinoy
    The job market for Web Developers nowadays are... err... cold.

Bet some are eagerly looking forward to Dot Com II (if ever there will be).

So cold it has gotten a bit boring.

Regards
    CK

They are cost less and I am told they are more "eager" and more "motivated" despite their seemingly low pay compared to us. With them around, obviously our motivation also affected what.

Regards
    CK
    yup! wat i feel also... well, we can't deny there may some good but so far wat i saw are... erm... sxxk... some of them dun even want to take the responsible, got error they said "can work wat, just ignore the error lar"....

/me Drop outs from NTU...

sigh...

yup! wat i feel also... well, we can't deny there may some good but so far wat i saw are... erm... sxxk... some of them dun even want to take the responsible, got error they said "can work wat, just ignore the error lar"....
    Like that win liao lor!

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by scanner

Engineer tan bo cia (Not much Recognition - LOW PAY!) in this region.

Sonner or later must change line liao.....
    Engineering consultancy can tan cia... especially if you are willing to go global!

me ex-editor, now part-time freelance photographer/writer/copyeditor/"pow kar liao", full-time running my own little editorial consultancy and content development company... anyone confused? hehheh...

oh, anyone who wants to do freelance writing, print/web design, drop me a mail/PM!

Originally posted by Larry
    me ex-editor, now part-time freelance photographer/writer/copyeditor/"pow kar liao", full-time running my own little editorial consultancy and content development company... anyone confused? hehheh...

oh, anyone who wants to do freelance writing, print/web design, drop me a mail/PM!
    Wah... advertisement ar....

Got lobang call me hor...

Student cum Software Developer.
    Canon Lover :)

I don't know what I am, suppose to be a trainer, but seems like most of the time I'm on IRC and web surfing...

Oops, and Peninsula window shopping.

So cold it has gotten a bit boring.
    Some companies seem to be consolidating job responsibilities.... as in the things that Web Developers usually work on are being rolled into a Software Developer / Engineer job. That's hardly surprising anyway, since some web technologies are tied to some language (or a subset of it)... so knowing JSP/Servlets mean that you know Java, and knowing ASP.NET means you know at least one of the supporting .NET languages.

So in the future, it ain't gonna be that boring anymore, as you've got other tasks at hand as well

Last edited by Pinoy; 3rd November 2002 at 02:02 AM.

Originally posted by Pinoy
    Some companies seem to be consolidating job responsibilities.... as in the things that Web Developers usually work on are being rolled into a Software Developer / Engineer job. That's hardly surprising anyway, since some web technologies are tied to some language (or a subset of it)... so knowing JSP/Servlets mean that you know Java, and knowing ASP.NET means you know at least one of the supporting .NET languages.

So in the future, it ain't gonna be that boring anymore, as you've got other tasks at hand as well

Even then, programmer-types are now easily and cheaply replaced. I am told the cost of 1 web developer here can hire 5 in China and 10 in India!

Regards
    CK

me archi student lor.... but only for another half a year... then no job liao.

hee..me also web developer + software engineer...

R&D both systems and network.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast