Thread: Ability to choose focus AFTER the shot is taken...

Default Ability to choose focus AFTER the shot is taken...

amazing technology at hand...wonder when they'll put this into production on DSLR??...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0511/05...ocuscamera.asp

Default Re: Ability to choose focus AFTER the shot is taken...

Heard over the radio that a sensor chip had also been invented that enables extremely high ISO to take extremely clean photos in conditions that appears to be darkness to the naked eye.

I read about the plenoptic camera more than a month back. Quite an amazing piece of work isn't it?

Was the news about the high ISO sensor just out today?

No, a few weeks back... less than a month? So sorry, forgot the details... only remember the ultra high ISO part, and it came from a university research lab somewhere.

In the Stanford prototype the microlens array has a resolution of 296 X 296 pixels and a 4000 X 4000 sensor is required to capture the light field. Seems like an array of 13 X 13 pixels is used to capture the image produced by each mico-lens. At that ratio a 50MP sensor is required to produce a VGA reolution image. Very neat idea but I am not sure how long it will take before we can get 5MP image resolutions....
    Last edited by roygoh; 2nd December 2005 at 09:27 AM.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    In the Stanford prototype the microlens array has a resolution of 296 X 296 pixels and a 4000 X 4000 sensor is required to capture the light field. Seems like an array of 13 X 13 pixels is used to capture the image produced by each mico-lens. At that ratio a 50MP sensor is required to produce a VGA reolution image. Very neat idea but I am not sure how long it will take before we can get 5MP image resolutions....
    I remember not too long ago I was wondering how long it would take to go beyond 640 x 480 resolution for a digital camera. The answer is that it took a shorter time than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    I remember not too long ago I was wondering how long it would take to go beyond 640 x 480 resolution for a digital camera. The answer is that it took a shorter time than I expected.
    Hehe...it took about 4 years to get from VGA to 5MP, I guesstimate.

So it will probably take less than that to get to a 50MP sensor to deliver the 640X480 image using current plenoptic technology.

I think the advancement will be achieved via 2 parallel paths: higher resolution sensors and better processing techniques that require a smaller pixel grid per micro-lens to achieve the same effects.

So it is very possible that a 10-to-1 ratio can be achieved so that a 50MP sensor can deliver a 5MP image using plenoptic photography.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.