Thread: Need advise on Burning a Photo Album for DVD players

Default Need advise on Burning a Photo Album for DVD players

Hi hi,

I am looking for a software that creates a photo album which is playable on DVD players. Ideally, it would allow users to move between photos with the remote contol of the DVD player, display the filename or something along the line of the thumnail view in windows.
    Most of the software that i have seen so far create a slideshow, which isnt what i am looking for.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations or experience with such a software? help help~ thank you

Default Re: Need advise on Burning a Photo Album for DVD players

Try Nero which comes bundled with some DVD burners

nero seem to be able to burn only SVCD photo album format... anyone knows the dvd format? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    nero seem to be able to burn only SVCD photo album format... anyone knows the dvd format? thanks
    I am actually looking at the Nero DVD Slide Show maker screen on my computer right this moment

Don't know where you got your information on SVCD !! By the way Nero allows the thumbnail scrolling using the DVD remote controller.

So far only Nero 7 gives u the option of creating a slideshow type of PhotoDVD. Before 7 they only can do PhotoVCD as what I found out.

All the above softwares merely do mpg or mpg2 video slideshows for VCD or DVD formats. There's actually a way of doing something similar to what you want e.g. step forward or backward, branching, mixed of video and still images (photos), audio playback, menus except to show images info . Fyi, you can even do this for VCD and your vcd players can play them and the still images can be double the resolution of VCD i.e. similar to DVD resolution. I use to do this all the time and had done such a slideshow (that's not a video) for my brother-in-law's wedding. You'll need a good VCD/DVD authoring software and the only bad thing about it is you'll need to do everything, e.g. which direction to step and using of the remote buttons for all the things you can do such as that of DVD, yourselves - a lot of work but the result is usually satisfying. The software I often use was WinOnCD (the same company who owns Nero). I'm not sure they are any new versions of it (I think they probably stopped that already). The last version WinOnCD8 which has more automation but in my opinion was not as good or powerful as the previous WinOnCD7. I no longer use this program and have not been doing any authoring for a long long time. But if you do come across the old WinOnCD I can perhaps share my knowledge if I can still remember them. I think there are other similar softwares but I can't remember their names.

Blog Entries

er... get a mac?

wow.. come back from shanghai.. so many replies.. so happy

pegasus1010> thanks for clearing up the NERO bit. I am not using NERO 7 hence only have the SVCD capability.

ob1canob > thank you for your valuable information about winoncd...gonna go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    er... get a mac?
    Me = pc user ... /slap slap

Found a link for free download and registration of WINONCD 6
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=145019
    its legit

its legit
    Sorry, I made a mistake and gave wrong info about the company that gave you Nero is the one that made WinOnCD. So, it's actually Roxio as you've found out. Well, they are all German companies

Actually looking at some of the freedownload of software I saw VideoPack5 update. Actually if you want flexibility (more manual driven) you should get VideoPack (VideoPack 4 was the first version I used and I still like what was available then some 8 years ago - flexibility) but this is only meant for VCD at that time (no DVD yet). They have since stopped making the software and some of this capability for making VCD slightshows were ported into WinOnCD. I can't remember which version of WinOnCD would have such functions that you want; please don't download too old versions as they may not have this capability you wanted.

One important info you would need at least for making VCD slightshows; make sure that you must have at least 1 video clip as otherwise the vcd players (I don't know about new DVD players but my very old vcd player have problems) will not recognize it as a properly authored VCD and will not play. You may just create a blank video or even play it for 0sec but you must have 1 video when you write out your VCD. It'll take all your photos and can decide how to branch from one photo to another when you click the "enter", "next", "previous" buttons to step them. You can also decide some "time-out" to step the photos automatically should there be no-one to press the remote buttons or you can set the "time-out" to infinity to constantly display the photos you wanted until somebody pushes the buttons. Please bear in mind this can be very tedious because you will have to decide for every photos or you can just set a default operation for all the photos. I've yet to try on DVDs simply because I do not have that many photos to fill up the DVDs; you'll have usually more than enough space than required on VCDs (in any case, the still photos for VCD can be done in the same resolution as that of the DVD and it's a valid VCD format). Try reading the manuals if you can find one (the info I just provided about having the requirement to have at least 1 video to make a valid VCD cannot be found in the manuals - it was through lots of trials and errors and lots of ). Good luck

its legit
    yo bro,
    had u installed it? I run the setup but quit upon seeing german wording..

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1010
    yo bro,

yup. installed it but am quite lost how to use it. german menu aint helpin much.. haha. paiseh ah.. didnt know it was german until i tried to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1010
    yo bro,

yup. installed it but am quite lost how to use it. german menu aint helpin much.. haha. paiseh ah.. didnt know it was german until i tried to install it.