Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Please help recommend a compact cam

  1. #21

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Hi wiz23, I'm going on holiday too, this Thursday to next, was hoping to get the F11 before i left. Just curious, is it necessary to get a spare battery since i'm goin off for one week? it's said the fuji batt can last 500 shots after all.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by elhire
    Hi wiz23, I'm going on holiday too, this Thursday to next, was hoping to get the F11 before i left. Just curious, is it necessary to get a spare battery since i'm goin off for one week? it's said the fuji batt can last 500 shots after all.
    Now I'm abt 200 shots into my first charge of the battery. One out of the three bars on the indicator just disappeared. I've, or rather my wife has done extensive reviewing of the photos in-camera & I've done a bit of cropping in-camera as well ...

    I'm not sure whether I can hit 500 shots before a recharge is required ... Personally, I don't think a spare battery is necessary. But, u are bringing your charger along, right? Make sure u get an adapter for the country u're going to

    Enjoy ur trip! Bon voyage!


  3. #23

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    I didn't manage to get a new cam in time before my trip. Now I am back I want to finalise my purchase.

    I had been leaning towards the F11 due mainly to the strong reviews and recommendations here.

    However, whilst on this trip, I got to use a friend's FX9 and had been pretty impressed with it. Here are two night shots taken handheld:

    http://www.photoi.org/gallery/data/5...ghainight1.JPG

    http://www.photoi.org/gallery/data/5...ghainight2.JPG

    the lumix FX9 therefore impresses me because it does a pretty good job with handheld night shots. I'm sure the F11 takes good nights shots on tripod, but i wonder how it fares with handheld night shots. that is my concern.

    My decision now hinges on that. If the F11 can take handheld night shots like those i did with FX9 above, I'll go buy F11.

    But if it can't, I'm going for FX9 because I know when I travel around, I'm not going to lug a tripod with me.

    Would therefore appreciate if anyone can post night shots taken with their F11 handheld.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by pop
    I didn't manage to get a new cam in time before my trip. Now I am back I want to finalise my purchase.

    I had been leaning towards the F11 due mainly to the strong reviews and recommendations here.

    However, whilst on this trip, I got to use a friend's FX9 and had been pretty impressed with it. Here are two night shots taken handheld:

    http://www.photoi.org/gallery/data/5...ghainight1.JPG

    http://www.photoi.org/gallery/data/5...ghainight2.JPG

    the lumix FX9 therefore impresses me because it does a pretty good job with handheld night shots. I'm sure the F11 takes good nights shots on tripod, but i wonder how it fares with handheld night shots. that is my concern.

    My decision now hinges on that. If the F11 can take handheld night shots like those i did with FX9 above, I'll go buy F11.

    But if it can't, I'm going for FX9 because I know when I travel around, I'm not going to lug a tripod with me.

    Would therefore appreciate if anyone can post night shots taken with their F11 handheld.
    I'm going out for dinner later, will try to take some hand-held night shots if i get the chance

  5. #25

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    I'm going out for dinner later, will try to take some hand-held night shots if i get the chance
    Please do. That will really help a lot. Similarly back drops to those I have above would be nice, like maybe fullerton area or orchard light ups? Gee, I'm asking a lot, ain't I?

    Many many thanks for your willingness to help, Wiz.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Haha, I was actually at Raffles City, but didn't have time to walk over to Fullerton as my wife and daughter were waiting for me. These were what I could manage with the short time I had ... basically shoot & run

    All 4 images were taken hand-held with the F11 at ISO 1600, and were not post-processed, except for resizing, and reducing image quality to fit the 100Kb limit on each file.

    Hope these test shots will help u decide which cam to buy ...

    Raffles Hotel


    Raffles City


    Capitol Building


    War Memorial

  7. #27

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    hmm, pretty nice shots too. thanks, wiz.

    Now, my lousy layman eyes can't make a clear comparison between these pics and those I took with FX9. Maybe some third parties can help make some objective comparisons.

    btw, i just took the fx9 and just p&s, no setting done, don't know how anyway. so in the case of f11, you will need to set iso to 1600? how do i know what iso to set to? or can I just take it that for night shots, to set it to 1600?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by pop
    hmm, pretty nice shots too. thanks, wiz.

    Now, my lousy layman eyes can't make a clear comparison between these pics and those I took with FX9. Maybe some third parties can help make some objective comparisons.

    btw, i just took the fx9 and just p&s, no setting done, don't know how anyway. so in the case of f11, you will need to set iso to 1600? how do i know what iso to set to? or can I just take it that for night shots, to set it to 1600?
    Actually, when I took these shots, I used the idiot-proof 'Natural Light' mode. The camera set ISO to 1600 on its own I manually set ISO to 800 and took some shots, they look similar except that the 'Natural Light' pictures seem warmer & nicer, and for the 'War Memorial' shot, ISO 800 was a bit insufficient, so shutter speed was a bit too slow for me to get a steady shot.

    However, since u can't tell the difference between the shots taken by FX9 & F11, then buy the one with the design u like best lor Because what u can't tell won't bother u, right?

    But, if u ask me abt the pics, I feel that even at 1600, F11 handled the noise better than FX9.

    Also, if u look at the buildings in the pics taken by FX9, u will notice quite a significant 'aura' effect. I don't know what they call it technically, but if u did not do any image processing on your own, most probably, it was caused by FX9's in-camera image processing.

    IMHO, image quality of F11's night shots is better. But, I'm no expert

  9. #29

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    Actually, when I took these shots, I used the idiot-proof 'Natural Light' mode. The camera set ISO to 1600 on its own
    haha, an idiot-proof cam is just what i need.

    some people have an eye for details, so they will be able to do a more indepth analysis the pics. I look at the pics, in terms of sharpness, they seem similar, i just thought those of mine taken with fx9 seem to have more vibrant colors. Btw, i didn't do any post-processing, just reducing the size for uploading that's all.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by pop
    haha, an idiot-proof cam is just what i need.

    some people have an eye for details, so they will be able to do a more indepth analysis the pics. I look at the pics, in terms of sharpness, they seem similar, i just thought those of mine taken with fx9 seem to have more vibrant colors. Btw, i didn't do any post-processing, just reducing the size for uploading that's all.
    Since u didn't do any post-processing, then the 'aura' effect of FX9 is definitely something to be wary of ...

    F11 has a f-chrome colour mode for more vibrant colours, but, personally, i found it a bit artificial

    As i mentioned, since u don't have an eye for details, then just buy the camera with the design u like best. Don't think so much liao

    All the best in choosing ...
    Last edited by wiz23; 15th December 2005 at 11:31 AM.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Just my 2 cents worth, but you should try navigating around the menus on both camera's.

    I have not tried the F11, but the Panasonics in general, have a very intuitive layout of accessing all the features. Don't know the level of photgraphic knowledge you have, but a few years ago when I was looking for a DigiCam, I ended up buying the Panasonic FX5 mainly because of 2 things, one the Image Stabilsation, don't underestimate the benefits of this, and second, as a complete novice, (still only a little better now ) I found the Panasonic the easiest to navigate through the menus.

    Good luck in your choice

  12. #32

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by wiz23
    As i mentioned, since u don't have an eye for details, then just buy the camera with the design u like best. Don't think so much liao

    All the best in choosing ...
    haha, i may not have the eye for details but the pics i will take, especially of travels, are also for others' eyes right?

    u mention the aura thing, how come i scrutinise so hard i still cannot see this aura? what exactly do you mean by that?

    its sure one hard decision to make.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by pop
    haha, i may not have the eye for details but the pics i will take, especially of travels, are also for others' eyes right?

    u mention the aura thing, how come i scrutinise so hard i still cannot see this aura? what exactly do you mean by that?

    its sure one hard decision to make.
    I enlarged a portion of your picture, hopefully u can see what i mean by the 'aura'. It's mainly around the bright lights. Most cams will have it, but the FX9 pics u took had it so obvious i didn't need to zoom in to see it ...



    Haha, maybe i'm nitpicking ... But, I must agree that FX9 colours are nice It also has a slim and sleek design ... Well, i can understand, it's a tough choice. Happy choosing
    Last edited by wiz23; 15th December 2005 at 05:49 PM.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    this is a useful thread .. Thanks

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by hjx
    this is a useful thread .. Thanks
    Glad u found our discussion useful

  16. #36

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    guess F11 is possibly a good rival to my initial thots of getting a canon A620 ... price wise what is the diff .. any1 knows .. with say a 1gig card thrown in .. Thanks

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by hjx
    guess F11 is possibly a good rival to my initial thots of getting a canon A620 ... price wise what is the diff .. any1 knows .. with say a 1gig card thrown in .. Thanks
    I would say they're abt the same price now ... abt $650 with a 1Gb card? U can call MS Color, AP or TK for a quote.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    hmm so would u have gotten a f11 or a620 .. very confused now .. lol

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Bukit Panjang
    Posts
    2,940

    Default Re: Please help recommend a compact cam

    Quote Originally Posted by hjx
    hmm so would u have gotten a f11 or a620 .. very confused now .. lol
    Haha, to be frank, given a choice now, I think I would have gotten the A620

    Alas, the grass is always greener on the other side ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •