Thread: Spice Market

Default Spice Market

This is taken in Little India.... Their Spice Market.. Comments on the photo??

Default Re: Spice Market

you hardly showed any spice if any at all..I think its pretty much a snapshot because there is no capture of any signifciant subject or expression etc..keep shooting..

Outdoor markets are particularly challenging to shoot due to the crowds and close confines. There's a tendency to shoot wide to capture the riot of colour and demonstrate the hustle and bustle of the unique environment.

Unfortunately such shot are rarely successful unless very carefully composed as they end up looking too busy and lack focus. Its better to focus on an interesting element, person or group and crop tight. That way your shot will have more meaning be more appealing.

Eg. For you scene you could do a close up on the meat(?) suspended in the background. Capture the colour, the texture, the succulence. Add in the stall owner slicing the meat, his expression for even greater interest.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Eg. For you scene you could do a close up on the meat(?) suspended in the background. Capture the colour, the texture, the succulence. Add in the stall owner slicing the meat, his expression for even greater interest.

That is EXACTLY what i was thinking!

Where's the spice?

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Where's the spice?

Little bit of chili, bottom-right.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    I think those are flower garlands.

Now that you mention it I think you're right. Those are flowers!

Sorry 'bout the oversight. But the general idea's still valid.

Or just zoom in on the red patch of chili among the greens...

alright!!
    THx for the feedback!! any more ideals how can i improve in the shot?

another suggestion is to put a slower shutter speed and potray movement, that way the eyes will either focus on movement or on the static objects, while portraying a more dynamic hustle and bustle of the bazzar. That of course, you would need stable hands or some support.
    Most imptly, from my experience, there is no such thing as one shot one kill in these situations, shoot more in different angles, different focal length etc, shoot the same situation but taking notice the exact moment to release the shutter etc to capture that kodak moment.