Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

  1. #1

    Default Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Dear Bros and Sis,

    Would like some comments on how the following photo could be improved in terms of composition, exposure, post processing etc.



    Beautiful End by Choong Tze Hong, on Flickr


    Warmest Regards
    Hong

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Just some comments based on my preference... your intention for presenting it this way may be different from mine, thus doing a bit of write up according to the Critique Corner guidelines will help others offer more constructive comments:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273376

    I feel the image overall is a bit dark, has a feeling of foreboding. I usually prefer photographs to be a bit brighter. I think the main subject here is the nice sunset, with the stones in the foreground and the boardwalk in the middle ground providing some depth perception to the image. The large area of sky does not add much and dilutes the impact of the nice sunset. Good job keeping the verticals parallel.

    I did a bit of editing of your shot to illustrate what I'm thinking, let me know to take the image down if you prefer. I increased the exposure a bit, brightened the shadows and retained the highlights. I also cropped off some of the sky:


    Composition wise I thought since the sunset is the main subject the boardwalk should not be blocking it. Many others who shot at this location use the boardwalk as a leading line instead. Take a walk around your subject and see how to fit the elements around to enhance your subject.

    Thanks for sharing

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Thanks Bro Thoongeng for taking the time to provide your insights.

    I really appreciate your comments and feel that they are very valid. I actually quite like your version of the photo.

    All the best and thanks again!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Looks good to me.

    I don't think lifting the shadows show off anything much and the exposure as it is already shows off what it wants. (ie. silhouette of bridge, sunset, skies, rocks. )

  5. #5
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzeh View Post
    Dear Bros and Sis,

    Would like some comments on how the following photo could be improved in terms of composition, exposure, post processing etc.



    Beautiful End by Choong Tze Hong, on Flickr


    Warmest Regards
    Hong
    This is what I think.



    less is more.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Thanks everyone for taking the time to critic my photo.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzeh View Post
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to critic my photo.
    Sorry to be grammer police..critic (noun)-- someone who gives opinions or express dislike of or disagreement with something or someone.

    The correct word is critique (noun)- A report of something such as a political situation or system or a person's work or ideas,which examines it and provides often a negative judgement.

    From Cambridge international dictionary of english.

    But if you use the word, criticize (verb) it normally means to disapprove of something or someone,usually negative.

    A better way to put/phrase it is: Thanks everyone for taking the time to give your critique.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    Sorry to be grammer police..critic (noun)-- someone who gives opinions or express dislike of or disagreement with something or someone.

    The correct word is critique (noun)- A report of something such as a political situation or system or a person's work or ideas,which examines it and provides often a negative judgement.

    From Cambridge international dictionary of english.

    But if you use the word, criticize (verb) it normally means to disapprove of something or someone,usually negative.

    A better way to put/phrase it is: Thanks everyone for taking the time to give your critique.
    Yes, thank you very much for the correction.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MGohzxc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,339

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    I agree with PINHOLECAM… looks good to me too. When you have two horizontals which is the bridge and the horizon, not much you can do with composition as shown. The light in the foreground is really beautiful… Happy shooting

  10. #10

    Default Re: Sunset at Changi Broadwalk (30 October 2016)

    Quote Originally Posted by MGohzxc View Post
    I agree with PINHOLECAM… looks good to me too. When you have two horizontals which is the bridge and the horizon, not much you can do with composition as shown. The light in the foreground is really beautiful… Happy shooting

    Thank you very much Miss Goh. I saw your photos in your thread and was really blown away. Do continue shooting and producing more beautiful photos!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •