Thread: mounting photos on those portfolio booklets

Default mounting photos on those portfolio booklets

I've always been wondering, especially now since I'm considering getting a printed portfolio, how do you mount your prints on those black acid free paper portfolio books. For instance those at bookbinders. How do you go about it? Glue? Blu-tack? what? there doesn't appear to be an allowance for you to just slot the prints in.

TIA.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Default Re: mounting photos on those portfolio booklets

I dont get what u mean actually.

Well, for professional portfolio bag u can get at artfriend n such. You just need to slot the prints in. My reccomendation if you have the budget go for Dawler Rowney the expensive one cuz its protecting the prints better. ( they got the cheap one also but i heard after 1-2 years the colour gonna change )

If you prefer to mount I would suggest you to buy mounting spray. Why not glue? Because it's gonna be a disaster. Those bubbles on your print, not mentioning sometimes it dirty the print *already experienced it* Blu-tack will result in bumpy surface i believe you wont want to experience as well.
    If not mistaken got 2 type of mounting spray, normal and extra strong one. I use the normal one and it's pretty strong. Not forget that i only apply a thin layer so its still removable.

Hope this help.

There are specific double sided stickers for the photos that you can purchase in photoshops. They come in similar boxes as those that dispenses ring protectors for 'punch-holes'.

I use Spray mount, non-adhesive kind. You can retrieve the article even after pasting, sort of easier, but of course, more costly if you are getting a couple of bottles.

I just use double-sided tapes.

Anyway what kind of portfolio albums can you guys recommend? I like the black ones by Artfriends, but the pages are not thick enough for my preference.

Do you spray it on the photo itself or on the rear of the print? I'm not exactly sure how it works .

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Do you spray it on the photo itself or on the rear of the print? I'm not exactly sure how it works .
    Hi My Dear Friends,

If you spray spray mount on the print itself, you will spolit your work. Your efforts will go down the drain. Never never try it.

You should spray on the back then paste quickly on the mountings you want. Measurements have to be made prior before the pasting part. Once you spray on the back of your print, quickly paste it to prevent the spray from being hardening.

One might also want to take note. Spray the spray mount only in outdoors. Spray the spray mount indoors and with close windows and air-con on is harzardous. If you breathe in alot of spray mount, the glue will get into your lungs never can it be remove. And long term exposure means die

Regards to all.

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    I just use double-sided tapes.

Anyway what kind of portfolio albums can you guys recommend? I like the black ones by Artfriends, but the pages are not thick enough for my preference.
    Made one yourself to suit your liking. Unless you have budgets in hand, or else going to professional binding service is your last option.

Using black mounting boards and leave some spaces besides the mounting space then go to binding services to bind it. You might want to personalise it to your own liking before the binding part.

Only your own personalised work is a piece of special work. You might also want to make framings boards out of mounting boards. Just need some thinkings.

Regards to all.

Spray mount works the best, but its quite a hassle to do a neat job. Nowadays got sell those tape roller thinggy, fast and convenient, but pretty expensive.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

this mounting spray...can get from art friend?

Quote Originally Posted by love2shootpics
    Hi My Dear Friends,

If you spray spray mount on the print itself, you will spolit your work. Your efforts will go down the drain. Never never try it.

You should spray on the back then paste quickly on the mountings you want. Measurements have to be made prior before the pasting part. Once you spray on the back of your print, quickly paste it to prevent the spray from being hardening.

One might also want to take note. Spray the spray mount only in outdoors. Spray the spray mount indoors and with close windows and air-con on is harzardous. If you breathe in alot of spray mount, the glue will get into your lungs never can it be remove. And long term exposure means die

Regards to all.
    Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by love2shootpics
    Made one yourself to suit your liking. Unless you have budgets in hand, or else going to professional binding service is your last option.

Using black mounting boards and leave some spaces besides the mounting space then go to binding services to bind it. You might want to personalise it to your own liking before the binding part.

Only your own personalised work is a piece of special work. You might also want to make framings boards out of mounting boards. Just need some thinkings.

Regards to all.
    Thanks man!

So you mean using black mounting boards as pages? If they are not acid free, is it ok? And where can i get such boards?

Quote Originally Posted by behyx
    Thanks man!

So you mean using black mounting boards as pages? If they are not acid free, is it ok? And where can i get such boards?
    Hello,

Shop around stationaries shop you will find all sorts of mounting boards, plastic sheets, plastic boards, which are all available in sizes and colours. Find the ones that suits you or you find comfortable with.

These boards are not acid proved. It is up to you to decide the sort of materials used. Taking care is most important.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    this mounting spray...can get from art friend?
    Yes, and I find the one manufactured by 3M reasonably price in art friend.