Thread: LCD size on notebook..

Default LCD size on notebook..

interested in getting a notebook. everything being equal, what LCD is adequate for editing and viewing? 12", 13", 14.1" or 15.4"? would 15.4" be too heavy to lug around?
    thanks!

Default Re: LCD size on notebook..

portable is 12"
    editing is 15"

how often are u goin to carry around, serious editing?

btw 15" notebook will weight at least or more then 3kg... shoulder bag will kill u.
    backpack will be a better choice.

To me, ideal for editing would be 17" but those type of notebooks are monsters to lug around.

Anyway, I think more important is not so much the screen size but the screen resolution. I've always found 1024x768 to be way to low for editing because all your toolbars and such would have already taken away like 50%+ of your screen area. Go for at least a 1280x768 res (wide screens seem to be the in thing now) on a 14" screen. Or if your eyesight is ok, try for 1440x1050 on at least a 14" (what I'm using, Dell has this option on some of it's notebooks).

thanks for the prompt advise. will look into wide screen 14".

I'm currently using a 12.1" Wide screen...pretty light to move around. And with a wide screen I have no problem with editing. If really needed, you can opt to purchase a bigger LCD just to do editing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by tunster
    I'm currently using a 12.1" Wide screen...pretty light to move around. And with a wide screen I have no problem with editing. If really needed, you can opt to purchase a bigger LCD just to do editing at home.
    Good advice
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

get a 23in ACD

i'm using the 15" powerbook for location shoots...but i do hope for 13.3" powerbook....then connect to a 23" ACD if needed.

Wide screens seems to be the in-thing now. But, your pic in portrait format would be very very small leh.

And then, I dislike the glossy screens - lots of nasty and distracting reflections - glossy screens seems to have overtaken the matte screens liao.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

I'm using an HP ZT3000 with a 15.4in screen at 1680x1050 and love the screen quality, however it does become a little bit of a pain to lug around for work. If I were to buy a new notebook today, I may sacrifice a little bit of screen space/resolution and get a 14.1 sized notebook. That size seems to be a sweet spot for screen space and portability.

hv to agree that weight plays a impt part of having a laptop. while 15.4" LCD looks impressive & value for money, the weight can be killing to lug ard.

small size 13-14" with a larger screen at home if you need to do editting... that's the best IMHO...

The 17" Powerbook is awesome. Great for photo editing. I got a back pack to carry around and its no problem - even managed to include the cam and a couple of lenses. The 17" is only 3.1kg.

get 12inch powerbook and Apple 20" display......

my dream setup

Pay particular to the resolution as well. Not only the size.

I use 15" with 1600x1050 resolution