Thread: 4:3 or 16:10 .. need advise

Default 4:3 or 16:10 .. need advise

hi hi

i have been reading quite a bit of LCD resolutions and I guess i am getting more confused.
    I am looking at 20inch and upwards.
    Generally for photo editing and normal work/related stuff, is it better to have a 4:3 or 16:10 (widescreen) lcd?
    When i ask "better", i am wondering if it makes any technical difference OR it is jus a preference.

I understand that with 16:10, you can place more stuff side by side with each other.
    Do all video cars support 16:10 or do i have to look into getting specific cards that does so?

Another question about watching dvds and such. Do most dvds movies come with a choice of normal and widescreen options? The widescreen for dvds are 16:9 isnt it? would that be a problem on a 4:3 or 16:10 lcd screen?

(on a side note, if i want to watch hdtv... it seems that most lcds dont have HDCP or HCDP(?) function so i guess that hdtv wont work on a lcd as yet...

thanks for your help..

dell usa is now selling 2005fp for about 600sd only... how much is it in sinagpore?

Default Re: 4:3 or 16:10 .. need advise

upz ...
    anybody can advise? give opinions?

Default Re: 4:3 or 16:10 .. need advise

Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
    hi hi

i have been reading quite a bit of LCD resolutions and I guess i am getting more confused.
    I am looking at 20inch and upwards.
    Generally for photo editing and normal work/related stuff, is it better to have a 4:3 or 16:10 (widescreen) lcd?
    When i ask "better", i am wondering if it makes any technical difference OR it is jus a preference.

I understand that with 16:10, you can place more stuff side by side with each other.
    Do all video cars support 16:10 or do i have to look into getting specific cards that does so?

Another question about watching dvds and such. Do most dvds movies come with a choice of normal and widescreen options? The widescreen for dvds are 16:9 isnt it? would that be a problem on a 4:3 or 16:10 lcd screen?

(on a side note, if i want to watch hdtv... it seems that most lcds dont have HDCP or HCDP(?) function so i guess that hdtv wont work on a lcd as yet...

thanks for your help..

dell usa is now selling 2005fp for about 600sd only... how much is it in sinagpore?
    Not all cards support 16:9 as long as I am sure. Double 4:3 will actually compensate quite a little, especially when you are those who love diagonal desk kind, main monitor on the front, and secondary monitor slightly away.

16:9 will be great for movie viewing, and especially if you do video post-processing for videos captured in 16:9 25p.

DVDs come in 16:9 only if stated, especially locally produced, compared to the imported, which are usually widescreen DVDs. However there must be functions on your DVD player to play in 4:3 pan & scan and other functions.

Hope this help