Thread: Alien Bees studio lights... anyone using them?

Default Alien Bees studio lights... anyone using them?

Hi everyone,

I did a search about those Alien Bees www.alienbees.com lights over at Clubsnap and there's not much thread going on about it. I am thinking of ordering one and I hope to hear feedback from anyone who are currently using them.

Cheers
    Hazmee

Default Re: Alien Bees studio lights... anyone using them?

Reviews from US about alien bees are pretty positive, the only issue is the shipping charges if you are ordering them to singapore. As I recall, the charges amount to several hundreds, so you might like to factor it in.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Actually love my AB.....Very small, very light. Best of all I dropped it once and it just continued working!! (although I had to change the bulb)

Quote Originally Posted by Splutter
    Reviews from US about alien bees are pretty positive, the only issue is the shipping charges if you are ordering them to singapore. As I recall, the charges amount to several hundreds, so you might like to factor it in.
    That's what I thought too. I tried to order and pay using my credit card but they rejected and insisted on paying by wire transfer. I am not too keen on such mode of payment.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanyc
    Actually love my AB.....Very small, very light. Best of all I dropped it once and it just continued working!! (although I had to change the bulb)
    Oh my. Its tough. Anyway, how much did you spend on the shipping charges?

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee
    That's what I thought too. I tried to order and pay using my credit card but they rejected and insisted on paying by wire transfer. I am not too keen on such mode of payment.
    Why did they turn you down?

Actually am surprised that they rejected Credit Card because that was what I used. The shipping was local as I sent it to a friend who carried it back for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Why did they turn you down?
    Their staff emailed back stating that for shipping to Singapore, they do not accept payments by credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanyc
    Actually am surprised that they rejected Credit Card because that was what I used. The shipping was local as I sent it to a friend who carried it back for me.
    I am quite suprised myself. I already given them my credit card details and now they reject it. Sounded pretty dodgy. BTW, you mentioned shipped local meaning in the US then someone brought it back home for you? Well I am quite confused now. Anyway, I might skip this purchase if its causing me too much hassle though I would love to own one.
    Last edited by hazmee; 30th November 2005 at 04:06 PM.

Their staff emailed back stating that for shipping to Singapore, they do not accept payments by credit card.

I am quite suprised myself. I already given them my credit card details and now they reject it. Sounded pretty dodgy. BTW, you mentioned shipped local meaning in the US then someone brought it back home for you? Well I am quite confused now. Anyway, I might skip this purchase if its causing me too much hassle though I would love to own one.
    Many online retailers don't like accepting cards from Indonesia, Malaysia and yes, even Singapore because of prevalent cc fraud. It's not unheard of Hazmee.

Quote Originally Posted by kahheng
    Many online retailers don't like accepting cards from Indonesia, Malaysia and yes, even Singapore because of prevalent cc fraud. It's not unheard of Hazmee.
    Damn. There's goes my chance. Oh well, have to look elsewhere then. Thanks ya. Cheers!

Damn. There's goes my chance. Oh well, have to look elsewhere then. Thanks ya. Cheers!
    But what's difficult with doing a wire transfer?

Will they accept cards if shipped to a US address? You can try singpost, they will give you a US add and then ship it over to you in Singapore. Shipping charges may be cheaper. I have bought some stuff from US through this service and it was very smooth.

I had a really good experience with them. Try calling them with IDD or VOIP it is next to nothing. There are actually many ways that companies mitigate the fraud, BH photo requires a scan of the credit card and they are willingly to accept payments from the singapore.

Yes, I shipped it to someone in the US