Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

  1. #1

    Default Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    I just bought a Manfrotto QR plate. There is a peg sticking out, which I think is meant for video cameras. Although the bottom of the peg looks like a flat screw head, I don't think it is a screw. I couldn't unscrew or push it out with my thumb. How should I remove it, by hammering it out? Hammer in which direction?

    The lady at CP removed the peg for my first QR plate, that's why don't know.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    I just bought a Manfrotto QR plate. There is a peg sticking out, which I think is meant for video cameras. Although the bottom of the peg looks like a flat screw head, I don't think it is a screw. I couldn't unscrew or push it out with my thumb. How should I remove it, by hammering it out? Hammer in which direction?

    The lady at CP removed the peg for my first QR plate, that's why don't know.
    when i wanted to buy this peg last time, they said no such thing... now they have... funny...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    when i wanted to buy this peg last time, they said no such thing... now they have... funny...
    You can have it, if you can remove it.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    I should add that the instructions say to unscrew, but the hole is not screw threaded and unscrewing has got me nowhere in the last x minutes. I've tried using the hammer, but I can't see any progress. I'll try hitting harder...

    Hope I get some advice, because the next tool I'm breaking out will be the electric drill.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    y dun u show me on sunday?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Any pic to show what you mean...
    TO SEE, TO FEEL, TO PHOTOGRAPH.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    y dun u show me on sunday?
    Can... what's happening on Sunday?

    You mean last Sunday? Hadn't bought it yet... bought it last night.

    So you'll help? Then I don't drill it to smithereens first.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by kaywalk
    Can... what's happening on Sunday?

    You mean last Sunday? Hadn't bought it yet... bought it last night.

    So you'll help? Then I don't drill it to smithereens first.
    maybe u can post the pic here and see anyone can help or not..
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

  9. #9

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by k3nn3th03
    maybe u can post the pic here and see anyone can help or not..
    Will do.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    #1 - Both my Manfrotto QR plates, one with peg and one without


    #2 - Hole on the QR plate without peg, notice that it is not screw threaded...


    #3 - Peg (upper part should be a cylinder: it is chipped because of a hammer blow that grazed it :P )


    #4 - How the QR plate looks from below, a flat screw head lookalike


    WB might have been wrong for the last picture, but that's beside the point.

    The peg rotates freely about its axis, but is unable to move linearly along that axis. Meaning, I can't get it to out!

    I don't want to hammer so hard that the QR plate doesn't "sit" the way it should, so in the absence of better ideas, I would drill the peg to flakes if I can. To me, a bigger hole will be less of an issue than a QR plate that can't fit my ball head or is no longer flat. Hee.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    hmm it should be able to unscrew.... strange... anyway, try pressing it den unscrew, maybe the thread did not touch, hence free rotation.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #12
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Now that you posted here,remind me that i have 1 new one laying around.
    i took it out,without much effort,the "screw" was off.
    It's not actually a screw,you just need a screwdriver to close the 'mouth' and push through.


  13. #13

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    Now that you posted here,remind me that i have 1 new one laying around.
    i took it out,without much effort,the "screw" was off.
    It's not actually a screw,you just need a screwdriver to close the 'mouth' and push through.
    Do I "screw" to push upwards or downwards? I mean, taking the QR plate to be in its normal position on the ball head?

  14. #14
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    You don't attach the plate to the ball head.
    1) remove the plate from the ball head
    2) turn over the plate to expose the expose the bottom.
    3) use a screwdriver to push the 'screw' downward,force it down,it will drop off from the other side.

    dont use the screw driver to turn and turn,it wont come out cause that is not a screw.


  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    It can be un-screw with a flat head screw driver.
    Done it last time to my 2 Manfrotto QR plate too.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    You don't attach the plate to the ball head.
    1) remove the plate from the ball head
    2) turn over the plate to expose the expose the bottom.
    3) use a screwdriver to push the 'screw' downward,force it down,it will drop off from the other side.

    dont use the screw driver to turn and turn,it wont come out cause that is not a screw.
    I know you don't attach it to the ball head lah. I needed a reference for "up" and "down", that's all. :P

    OK I'll try.

  17. #17
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate



    After which,push through,"screw" will fall off from the other side.
    If still cannot,then maybe different plate from me liao.
    Mine is a 200PL-14


  18. #18

    Default Re: Removing peg from Manfrotto QR plate

    I've removed it!

    All along I've been trying to unscrew it, that means unscrewing while pushing hard to let the peg come out on the same side as the screw head. My hammering was also in that direction. But today I tried pushing it in the other direction, and it came out within seconds.

    Thanks for all the help!

    DCA, you can have the peg, but as you can see from the picture, the condition is 7/10 due to the chip from hammering. Still, it can be used to hold a video camera in place. Let me know if you want it!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •