Thread: How to start freelancing?

Default How to start freelancing?

Hi all,

I come from a design background and am interested to do some freelance work in photography, I have knowledge and skills in photography however, I have almost zero freelancing experience and I've only assisted other photographers before.

So my question is, do I really require lighting equipment to freelance? As I have only my DSLR and various lenses (primes/zoom/wide) and buying more equipment is impossible for me with my current financial ability.

My objective is to earn more money as I serve NS in my 8-5 vocation because the pay I'll be receiving is really too low.

And also besides Clubsnap, where else can I find freelance jobs?

Thanks, JinHong

There will be lots of people asking you to do free jobs for them "to boost your portfolio".

Default How to start freelancing?

Hi all, I come from a design background and am interested to do some freelance work in photography, I have knowledge and skills in photography however, I have almost zero freelancing experience and I've only assisted other photographers before.

So my question is, do I really require lighting equipment to freelance? As I have only my DSLR and various lenses (primes/zoom/wide) and buying more equipment is impossible for me with my current financial ability.

My objective is to earn more money as I serve NS in my 8-5 vocation because the pay I'll be receiving is really too low.

And also besides Clubsnap, where else can I find freelance jobs?

Thanks,
    JinHong

Default Re: How to start freelancing?

Hi there, please do not cross-post the same thing to different forum sections, it's not good forum etiquette and considered spamming

I've merged your new thread with your previous one.

4. Spam - We will not tolerate posting of the same message to two or more forums. Any such posts will be merged or deleted and repeated abuse will result in banishment.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/faq.p...q_new_faq_item

We have the section of 'Photo Biz' where the commercial aspects of photography are discussed. Read through this to see which topics and potential problems are waiting for you.
    EOS

Question: How to start freelancing?
    Answer: Go and tell everyone you know or don't know that you are doing freelancing now.

Question: do I really require lighting equipment to freelance?
    Answer: It depends.

Question: And also besides Clubsnap, where else can I find freelance jobs?
    Answers: Where places people are posting requests for photography services, eg; Freelancer dot com, Craigslist and many other places which I am not allowed to post their name here but you can Google for it easily.
    Last edited by catchlights; 27th September 2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    Hi there, please do not cross-post the same thing to different forum sections, it's not good forum etiquette and considered spamming I've merged your new thread with your previous one.
    Hi Kandinsky sorry about it, I felt that maybe I posted on the wrong section as I wasn't getting a response so I redid it. Thank you for informing!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    We have the section of 'Photo Biz' where the commercial aspects of photography are discussed. Read through this to see which topics and potential problems are waiting for you.
    Alright will look it up! Thank you

You can join a studio as junior photographer.

People who shoot for free or cheap usually do not last long or even enter into the market because firstly it does not pay, secondly the people are often mean or fake, and thirdly the jobs are usually not portfolio worthy. ie birthday party for children or baby shower, what are you going to do with pics of a few uncle aunties in shorts screaming at their naughty children who splash juice into your lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ALFREDC View Post
    You can join a studio as junior photographer.

People who shoot for free or cheap usually do not last long or even enter into the market because firstly it does not pay, secondly the people are often mean or fake, and thirdly the jobs are usually not portfolio worthy. ie birthday party for children or baby shower, what are you going to do with pics of a few uncle aunties in shorts screaming at their naughty children who splash juice into your lens?
    join as junior then need to wait very long then can be official photographer. cos the senior don't change job and the market for this is very small too

Quote Originally Posted by sadper View Post

join as junior then need to wait very long then can be official photographer. cos the senior don't change job and the market for this is very small too
    many people failed because they want to take short cut.

Anyway, ones need not to stay in a same studio forever. Ones can learn many things from different photographers.
    And trust me, that is the best way.

TS, if you want to find your own customers to hire you. You may have to wait long long, as there are so many newcomers willing to shoot for free or for very low wages.
    Go and check out the photography service directory and service wanted section and see it for yourself. I think the ratio of photographers vs jobs offer is 20:1 now.
    If you just want to earn extra pocket money fast and without spending on gears. Find a part time job from fast food outlets. May not as cool as have a tiltle of "freelancing photographer", but you will have cold hard cash in you pocket for sure.

Hey jinhong...

Here is my advice.

1.Shoot a lot.
    For free, for a low price, as an apprentice. Doesn't matter. Build your portfolio. Get the experience. Not just with the technical aspect. But the client management and after sales as well. Even if you shoot for free or low price treat that client well. It will pay dividends.

2. Start a website
    It's doesn't take much technical know how. Go to godaddy.com. First year (hosting plus website design module) is about SGD$30.

It'll give your prospective clients a sense of confidence. But you must have a god enough portfolio of photos. And a good set of testimonials from clients. Where do you get these? From point 1.

3. Advertise
    Start with FB, gumtree, CS, various forum related to your interests in photography. I'm not really adept in this part.

Friends and family? That's a tricky but there that you need to think twice about before you push forth.

4. Pricing
    Once there is a steady flow, think about adjusting the prices upwards and offering various packages.

The going might be slow in terms of reaping instant rewards financially or otherwise. But then again, this caveat applies to almost everything in life. Just think about this. If you can produce top quality photos, YOU will be the one people want to hire!

FYI, equipmentwise, use whatever that you are comfortable with and you can produce the best images with within your resources. A canon 650d and the 50 1.8 can produce awesome shots of kids that the parents will love.

BUT, if you are intending to shoot portraits (families, blogshop fashion, couples etc) get a flash. It's really helpful BOTH indoor and outdoor.

This is what I would suggest. Good luck mate!

Edit: I reread your post and realised that your main objective is extra income. My bad. This post was written to address the question of becoming a freelancer in general.

If that is the case, I just hope you have a good enough portfolio and start with step 2. If not, doing something else for money while building on step 1 would be the ideal situation.
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 30th September 2016 at 06:33 AM.