Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by righton
    $500 in total for 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes ????????????? This is BAD PUBLICITY for CHEAPSKATE Standard CHARTERED BANK

    HSBC should sponsor the event next time to avoid the embarassment to banks that cannot afford to hire event photographer and resort to cheapskate tactics to obtain images...... tsk tsk tsk......
    From wat I know, Singapore Sports Council is the one sponsoring the prizes. Its a last minute decision for them to hold a photography contest to encourage more ppl to develop an interest or sport in it. Similar to Waterfest 2005, they may just be in the initial implementation stages for more fund allocatment from the Gov. Subsequently, prizes will be more attractive.

    And they do have their own certified and proven photographers to cover the events. For now, lets just welcome their efforts.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Hmmm
    ok lah i think typical business world
    its supposed to be a win-win situation.
    I am sure they got hire one lousy photographer to take pics.. of VIP and what's not..
    race one yah.. prizes abit cheapskate..
    what to do? i think too many 'photographers' in sg liaoz..
    professionals find it harder to make a living.
    but .. dun flame but i think that
    on the flip side this might push professionals to higher standards leh..

  3. #23

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Err... I called them regarding the prizes, and the response was :

    After 1st dec, the prize will only be decided.. the 1st dec is the closing date... after closing date , then they announce ...

    So I not sure if the $250 top prize is correct or not..

  4. #24
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    should have ask them about the T&C instead

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    #9 of T & C

    'Participants will grant The Organiser exclusive rights to any photographs
    connected to the competition with the above-mentioned tournament.'


    note that unsubmitted pictures' copyright belongs to the organiser.

    there are pictures for sale as well. ---> http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html

    i.e. you take a shot and submit, don't win anything, they can still sell your picture to the participants without giving you anything?

    also, you take a shot and don't submit, but put it in your own publicised portfolio, they can take legal actions against you, because the rights granted is exclusive as long as you take a shot at the tournament
    Last edited by eikin; 29th November 2005 at 08:59 PM.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoo
    it's not often that you get to shoot competitive athletes here in singapore. and with a carnival event held after the prize presentation to boot as well.

    i think it's a worthwhile trip to gain exposure and experience in shooting this type of events.

    you don't even have to submit your photos for THEIR competition and give up YOUR copyright.

    you can always keep it for a more lucrative and suitably themed competition for
    your shots.

    just my two cents.
    please note, according to #9 of T & C, as long as the picture(s) you take has(have) anything connected to the marathon tournament you lose your copyright immediately.

    if a person takes a shot at the competition and use it at another photo-competition, the organiser can sue the person.

    this is by far the worst T & C for participants i've ever seen so far.
    Last edited by eikin; 29th November 2005 at 07:25 PM.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by WKK
    I had check with the organiser, apparently we need to fill in the PDF registration form, mail it to the SSC per the address in the form, wait for their response.. according to organiser, the SSC will provide a pass for all registered participant.

    Call them for more enquiry.
    Quote Originally Posted by WKK
    Err... I called them regarding the prizes, and the response was :

    After 1st dec, the prize will only be decided.. the 1st dec is the closing date... after closing date , then they announce ...

    So I not sure if the $250 top prize is correct or not..
    Following more updates fr them;

    To aid in the convenience, theres a revised term for registration for the photo contest and will be changed on the form accordingly soon.

    You onli need to enter your registration together with the submission of your photographs by 12Dec05. Plainly to say, print the form. Fill in your particulars and send to their address stated together with your photos.

    Also the prizes are confirmed to be those mentioned.
    Last edited by chainsmoker; 29th November 2005 at 08:33 PM.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    please note, according to #9 of T & C, as long as the picture(s) you take has(have) anything connected to the marathon tournament you lose your copyright immediately.

    if a person takes a shot at the competition and use it at another photo-competition, the organiser can sue the person.

    this is by far the worst T & C for participants i've ever seen so far.
    For #9. Participants will grant The Organiser exclusive rights to any photographs connected to the competition with the above-mentioned tournament.

    I think it means that the organiser has the exclusive rights to use the submitted photos anyway for this event or other media and publicity in future.

    Also, wat do you really think they can do with our 4R size entries?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    For #9. Participants will grant The Organiser exclusive rights to any photographs connected to the competition with the above-mentioned tournament.

    I think it means that the organiser has the exclusive rights to use the submitted photos anyway for this event or other media and publicity in future.

    Also, wat do you really think they can do with our 4R size entries?
    http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html

    i think no need to elaborate too much

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html

    i think no need to elaborate too much
    Taken from Marathon-Photos.com

    Marathon-Photos.com is a company that photographs events worldwide for a worldwide audience.

    We can promote your event on a new scale. We provide a premier photographic service for your participants.

    We have extensive experience in photographing major events. You can appoint us with confidence.


    They are not related in this contest in anyway. Their site just has a top banner promoting this event.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    Taken from Marathon-Photos.com

    Marathon-Photos.com is a company that photographs events worldwide for a worldwide audience.

    We can promote your event on a new scale. We provide a premier photographic service for your participants.

    We have extensive experience in photographing major events. You can appoint us with confidence.


    They are not related in this contest in anyway. Their site just has a top banner promoting this event.
    if you go to the marathon website there's an option to 'Order Your Photos' which leads to this. just a promotion?

    anyway, i'm listing out what i find questionable and potentially unfair to participants. if you want to go ahead and join, i'm fine.

  12. #32
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    For #9. Participants will grant The Organiser exclusive rights to any photographs connected to the competition with the above-mentioned tournament.

    I think it means that the organiser has the exclusive rights to use the submitted photos anyway for this event or other media and publicity in future.

    Also, wat do you really think they can do with our 4R size entries?
    i think you think wrong, it says "any photographs" not "submitted photographs"
    and "exclusive rights" means that the rights granted to the organiser is "exclusive" and no one else can use it.

    When there is a court case, they will refer to the agreement made between the parties.
    and this is it.

    BTW have fun!

    here is an idea, go there and shoot if you want the experience, but don't register, because if you do and sign the form then good luck to you.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i know, just pointing it out for those who don't bother to read the t&c

    for that kind of prize money and T&C i won't be joining.

    btw read point #9 clearly, it says "any photographs" not submitted photographs
    it says any photographs connected with the (photo) competition. if u take photos and don't participate in the competition, the organisers have no rights to ur photos.

    anyway, here's an idea...
    station urself at the finish line, and take photos of each participant as he/she crosses the finish line. then publish them on ur own "marathon photos website" and sell the photos to participants who want a photographic memory of their marathon experience. u will make much more money this way than joining the photo contest!


  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    it says any photographs connected with the (photo) competition. if u take photos and don't participate in the competition, the organisers have no rights to ur photos.

    anyway, here's an idea...
    station urself at the finish line, and take photos of each participant as he/she crosses the finish line. then publish them on ur own "marathon photos website" and sell the photos to participants who want a photographic memory of their marathon experience. u will make much more money this way than joining the photo contest!

    Will them chase us away if we do the above by not registering?

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    it says any photographs connected with the (photo) competition. if u take photos and don't participate in the competition, the organisers have no rights to ur photos.

    anyway, here's an idea...
    station urself at the finish line, and take photos of each participant as he/she crosses the finish line. then publish them on ur own "marathon photos website" and sell the photos to participants who want a photographic memory of their marathon experience. u will make much more money this way than joining the photo contest!

    how many runners are there?....u're gonna have a hard time doin this...

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    GagalandCloud9
    Posts
    451

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Lol, u peeps are really jokers. Here's the map of the finishing point, note that its mostly restricted to Vips, Press and others. So choose a good spot.


  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    Lol, u peeps are really jokers. Here's the map of the finishing point, note that its mostly restricted to Vips, Press and others. So choose a good spot.

    just become a VIP lor
    VIP= Very Important Photographer

  18. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,167

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever
    just become a VIP lor
    VIP= Very Important Photographer
    If became VIP, then must follow the T&C liao..
    I walk past last year Marathon, think can take pic from the road side but got barriers.
    I never took pic at that time cos no cam with me..

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by donchua
    If became VIP, then must follow the T&C liao..
    I walk past last year Marathon, think can take pic from the road side but got barriers.
    I never took pic at that time cos no cam with me..
    shld be okay....or is there such a thing as copyrighted event?

  20. #40

    Default Re: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon Photography Contest with Prizes

    Quote Originally Posted by chainsmoker
    Following more updates fr them;

    To aid in the convenience, theres a revised term for registration for the photo contest and will be changed on the form accordingly soon.

    You onli need to enter your registration together with the submission of your photographs by 12Dec05. Plainly to say, print the form. Fill in your particulars and send to their address stated together with your photos.

    Also the prizes are confirmed to be those mentioned.

    Thanks for the info - I think the prize is secondary... jus to shoot for experience and the fun out of it.... i have my collegue going there , me going to support and shoot, enter the contest and see if got luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •