Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dumbest camera sales person ever!

Default Re: Dumbest camera sales person ever!

Thanks for all these stories. Really funny.
    Question - How would you react to this situation? I have encountered these kind of sales people before and I really don't want to be nasty at the same time because they are just doing their jobs and doing it to the best of their abilities and with what little training they have.
    I think we need to subtly educate them in a way that it does not bruise their ego and we may even get a good discount in the end. I know these people are appreciative of customers who can share information that they can use in future. The question is how do we get what we want but in a nice way?

Actually, the sales person isn't dumb. If you ask me, he is anything other than DUMB to be able to come up with ISO = Image Stablilization ON. Pretty innovative. At most you can call him ill-informed or technically lacking.

Anyway, I do think it's only gentlemanly to educate him on what ISO really is, instead of laughing at him or ridiculing him in a forum. It's not that the sale person KNOWS his stuff and is trying to con people into believing that there's such a function when there isn't.

Imagine if u are schooling and your teacher laugh at ur lack of knowledge or your superior at work riducle you infront of ur colleagues beacause of ur techincal impcompetence.

But like that, how to turn off Image Stabiliser hah? Also ISO mah...

Thanks for the laughs (although it happened a month ago. )
    The Art of Flying - Aviation Art Prints for sale
    http://TheArtofFlying.wordpress.com/

ISO higher= Image Stabiliser On
    ISO lower= Image Stabiliser Off

I can't believe this thread has been moved to Consumers' Corner

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    to turn on you need to press

up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, START
    ABB ABB ABB AC AC

think i ever saw a sales man trying to load film onto a digital camera to try and another trying to frame pics with the LCD on a DSLR.... that was several years back though

vince123123
    Guests

I thought the secret code was

up up down down left right left right b a b a start?

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    to turn on you need to press

up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, B, START

ALL SonyStyle Customer Care staff in the US are primarily clueless. (SonyStyle is the place where Sony purchasers in the USA are required to call for everything connected with Sony products.)

I asked one question. Just one. I used "Live Help" online, in addition to nearly 1-1/2 hours of frustration on their phone line being connected to no less than 5 clueless Sony techs.

My QUESTION: Does the Sony HVL-F1000 Flash have TTL metering with the Sony DSC-F717 Camera?

I pointed out to each person I spoke with that the SonyStyle website lists "TTL metering" as a feature of F1000 flash.

Note: BOTH ARE SONY PRODUCTS.

Well, nobody knew the answer. Finally, after answering many, many of their irrelevant questions, I began to ask if the person I was speaking with actually knew what "TTL" meant.

NOBODY knew what "TTL" meant, even as far up the employee ranking as a self-proclaimed "Level 7 Technician - the highest rank here."

One tech actually hazarded a guess that "TTL" as Sony's abbreviation for "TOTAL." She said that it meant "total metering." I told her "NO!!" that it meant "thru the lens" and pleaded with her, begged her, to be transferred to SOMEBODY/ANYBODY who could respond to my question.

My position from then on was that if they did not know what TTL meant, then they could never be competent to comment on the TTL capability of the F1000/F717 combo. So, I kept asking to be transferred, with the fervent hope that somebody in Sony knew something about Sony cameras, and the features that Sony listed as available on that Sony product.

All of them refused to connect me to a supervisor. He was busy. I asked them to have the supervisor call me back. I was told nobody there could make outgoing calls. Like, never.

So, I asked why they asked for my house phone and my cell phone numbers whenever I called and whenever I got transferred to another person. If they cannot call me, then whatever my phone numbers are would be irrelevant, right?

BUT I did get a "Sony event number" to reference in future contacts on the same question. So far, no answer to my one sentence question. I called again to see if anybody could answer the question (and refused to answer that person's irrelevant questions). Well, it seems that my "event number" had not been answered. However, since I had called again, it would now take 24 to 48 hours to get a response to my question of that day, which was "Why have I not received an answer yet?"

My friends, I'm not making any of this up!

What do you think? Who's dumber? The store salesperson, the SonyStyle Techs, or me for thinking that somebody at SonyStyle actually knew something about Sony products???

(Oh, one more, before I close this rant, there were two techs who asked if I had connected the flash to the camera and if the batteries in the flash were recharged and at full power. I told them that I was inquiring about the flash prior to purchasing one. I owned the F717 camera, but I did not own the F1000 flash. However, I did inform them that the F1000 flash operated on alkaline AA-batteries. The F1000 Flash did not have rechargable batteries, nor did it come with a recharger. One of the techs apologized. The other tech asked me his original question once again, a second time.)

Really! I am not making this up!

Quote Originally Posted by 717FAN
    ALL SonyStyle Customer Care staff in the US are primarily clueless. (SonyStyle is the place where Sony purchasers in the USA are required to call for everything connected with Sony products.)

I asked one question. Just one. I used "Live Help" online, in addition to nearly 1-1/2 hours of frustration on their phone line being connected to no less than 5 clueless Sony techs.

My QUESTION: Does the Sony HVL-F1000 Flash have TTL metering with the Sony DSC-F717 Camera?

I pointed out to each person I spoke with that the SonyStyle website lists "TTL metering" as a feature of F1000 flash.

Note: BOTH ARE SONY PRODUCTS.

Well, nobody knew the answer. Finally, after answering many, many of their irrelevant questions, I began to ask if the person I was speaking with actually knew what "TTL" meant.

NOBODY knew what "TTL" meant, even as far up the employee ranking as a self-proclaimed "Level 7 Technician - the highest rank here."

One tech actually hazarded a guess that "TTL" as Sony's abbreviation for "TOTAL." She said that it meant "total metering." I told her "NO!!" that it meant "thru the lens" and pleaded with her, begged her, to be transferred to SOMEBODY/ANYBODY who could respond to my question.

My position from then on was that if they did not know what TTL meant, then they could never be competent to comment on the TTL capability of the F1000/F717 combo. So, I kept asking to be transferred, with the fervent hope that somebody in Sony knew something about Sony cameras, and the features that Sony listed as available on that Sony product.

All of them refused to connect me to a supervisor. He was busy. I asked them to have the supervisor call me back. I was told nobody there could make outgoing calls. Like, never.

So, I asked why they asked for my house phone and my cell phone numbers whenever I called and whenever I got transferred to another person. If they cannot call me, then whatever my phone numbers are would be irrelevant, right?

BUT I did get a "Sony event number" to reference in future contacts on the same question. So far, no answer to my one sentence question. I called again to see if anybody could answer the question (and refused to answer that person's irrelevant questions). Well, it seems that my "event number" had not been answered. However, since I had called again, it would now take 24 to 48 hours to get a response to my question of that day, which was "Why have I not received an answer yet?"

My friends, I'm not making any of this up!

What do you think? Who's dumber? The store salesperson, the SonyStyle Techs, or me for thinking that somebody at SonyStyle actually knew something about Sony products???

(Oh, one more, before I close this rant, there were two techs who asked if I had connected the flash to the camera and if the batteries in the flash were recharged and at full power. I told them that I was inquiring about the flash prior to purchasing one. I owned the F717 camera, but I did not own the F1000 flash. However, I did inform them that the F1000 flash operated on alkaline AA-batteries. The F1000 Flash did not have rechargable batteries, nor did it come with a recharger. One of the techs apologized. The other tech asked me his original question once again, a second time.)

Really! I am not making this up!
    That's why they get replaced by answering machines.
    "For learn how to insert batteries, please press one."
    "For learn how to connect the flash to your camera, please press two."
    "To repeat again, please press nine."
    "To speak to someone else with a digital voice, please press zero."

I guess eventually, macs front line staffs will be replaced by robots. Just press my own buttons on the screen can already, dun need to waste my saliva.

Angry Re: Dumbest camera sales person ever!

UPDATE: Sony still cannot answer the two questions. My third call to inquire about "no response" to the questions was last week.

This time I spoke with a Level 1 Supervisor, who ALSO did not know what "TTL" meant. She excused that lack of knowledge by saying she supervised only Level I employees, and did not know "engineering questions."

Hey, I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP!!!!!

So, I asked if I got connected to the wrong Sony department. (Thinking maybe they connected me to tape recorders, TVs or stereo radios.) No, she confirmed that she supervised Level 1 of the CAMERA Customer Support.

So, I informed her that a majority of Sony cameras have TTL exposure metering. There was a silence, so I told her that TTL meant "through the lens." This was followed by more silence.

I begged to have my questions transferred to another person who could help me. So, she said that she would forward my questions on to the senior engineering design team for the answers.

I'm still waiting.

And I'm NOT making any of this up either! And it gets worse . . .

So, I dug deep into my files and found an email address and phone number for an "executive team supervisor" (ETS) who answered three questions in 2003:

(1) "flash synch speeds for the F717"
    (2) "would the F717 camera with Sony lens hood attached fit into the Sony camera case or would the hood need to be removed first"
    (3) "would a Sony filter screw onto the F717 lens when the Sony lens hood was attached, not separately, but filter inside lens hood w/ both on camera"

(FYI, I wanted to purchase several Sony camera accessories, so I needed those questions answered to make purchasing decisions. In the US, most Sony cameras are not sold in camera stores. The mass merchants who carry the Sony cameras, do not carry any accessories. That's why I needed to call Sony for the answers.)

Those questions, my ClubSnap friends, took nearly three months to get answered. Of course, many phone calls and antagonistic threats also were required to escalate the questions to the executive level.

I digress. Sorry.

So, when the ETS phone was answered last week, I was told that the person who I spoke with in 2003 was no longer with Sony. And the person who answered the phone did not handle customer service issues, so I was referred to call the toll-free phone number for SonyStyle!

I screamed something like "DON'T HANG UP ON ME!" And the guy remained on the line.

I explained that I had two simple questions about Sony equipment. He replied that Sony might deny requests about the "compatibility of the F717/F1000 combo" and the "hotshoe trigger voltage." He said that "some information is regarded as proprietary and considered a trade secret"!!!!!

People, I AM NOT making this up!!!

And Sony wonders why they are losing market-share. Oh, my . . .
    Last edited by 717FAN; 16th January 2006 at 03:59 PM.

Well did it occur to u that things which ppl do not have any knowledge of always classify such things as 'trade secrets' cos of the secret that they do not know anything?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

HAHAHAHA!!! read just a few, can't go on anymore! how about having annual CS awards for these categories:

- dumberest salesman (spelling mistake intended, afterall what they say is a mistake yah?)
    - most creative smoke-thrower (the mustafa guy gets my vote!)
    - best conman (those that ALMOST fooled even you)

Many are culled, few are chosen

hahahhaha, these are brilliant, must make an award scheme and mods please make a sticky!!! Keep sharing the stories really light up a dull day!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ang
    just to share biggest joke i experienced today...

went to Sitec and was comparing between the Panasonic FX9 and a Casio model.
    Went to 2 different booth.. both ran by Harvey Norman sales person.
    First at panasonic and checked out the FX9 which has Image stabilizer.
    Then went to the Casio booth to check out one model that had Anti-Shake similar to that of FX9 image stabilzer.

As I have previously tried the demo on the image stabilizer on the Panasonic one, I wanted to see the same feature being demo on the Casio one but could not find the function to have it activated.

So, I asked the sales person who then told me : "Oh, you have to turn up the ISO number there".. He said "ISO is Image Stabilizer ON"..

HAHAHA.... I couldn't help wanting to burst into laughters...

I asked him if he was sure.. he said "Yes, I sold many already.. and that's how it's turned on"..

Gosh... I do hope that those newbies who bought them from him will realise how to turn that one eventually....

Moral of the story "don't trust everything the sales person tell you... especially if they are from one of those big electronic store like Best or Harvey Norman"...
    Casio digi compacts works on DSP Anti-shake. Which is trying to maintain a certain shutter speed good for hand holding while boosting the ISO. In my opinion, not a real AS. So the sales guy is not exactly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxh81
    So did you taught him back that upping the shutter speed can also activate image stabilizer.

Or hold shutter/menu button/ISO button for 1 hour then got special menu lor.
    special menu only appears when u,
    hold shutter,
    press menu 3 times,
    then up,up,left and up again.

on top of the special menu,
    u get helicopter kick as well.

also, nikon d70, rotate top dial to A P S A P M, a drinks holder pops out, and also unlimtted CF storage

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    ABB ABB ABB AC AC
    miss out these 2 posts,
    sorri.

jude

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123