Thread: A Choice to Make

Default A Choice to Make

Yes! upcoming bonus is near and I have to get something.. of course. However, only budgetted for 1 item.

I need to shoot great indoor shots of pets, people, etc, etc. Normally, using my D70, and lens kit, photos not clear esp if the shutter speed slows down bec of poor lighting. So I need help on this choice.

Did extensive readings on both these items..still cannot decide.

Should I get (1) or (2) - no money for both.
    1) SB300 or

2) Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (heard about its great clarity)

Please help me select. Thanks

Default Re: A Choice to Make

Flash

Blog Entries

SB800 or SB600 read up the difference and decide

Quote Originally Posted by DarNikon
    1) SB300 or

getting flash first would be a better option if have to choose between the 2.....
    the pop up flash is just to harsh,
    but if you meant SB800 as typed in your choice 1,
    that means your budget enough to get the SB600 AND 50mm f1.8
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Ooo... yes yes the SB600, me sotong. Thanks for all your comments - helped me make the decision

shooting wif flash would allow u to freeze movement...and the coverage distance would be alot more than what your d70's built in flash could do for you... perhaps u should experiment more with the on board flash first....

on the other hand...the 1.8 on the 50mm at its widest aperture...will allow u to shoot with a few more stops of light...meaing that your shutter will only increase that much as compared to a 3.5 or 4.5....

using flash, the lighting temperature u shoot at would be that of the flash..... on the other hand...shooting wif the 50mm you would be doing so in ambient...and the 50mm does not zoom like ya kit lens...which means that u may have to move alot closer as compared to zooming in at 70mm.... this reflects a change in shooting style man....

the options are out for u...

choose wisely...

cheers..

Yes! upcoming bonus is near and I have to get something.. of course. However, only budgetted for 1 item.
    Uhh, you don't have to get something, just because you are getting a bonus.Giove us a treat better...

What witness says makes sense. the choice is up to you.

Just my OHO Instead of the SB300 ( don't know got this model), consider the SB800, which has a higher guide number than the Sb600, meaning your flash has a longer reach. If you are considering flash

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    shooting wif flash would allow u to freeze movement...and the coverage distance would be alot more than what your d70's built in flash could do for you... perhaps u should experiment more with the on board flash first....
    an external flash has many options that can be changed to create different moods and lighting, not to mention CLS

on the other hand...the 1.8 on the 50mm at its widest aperture...will allow u to shoot with a few more stops of light...meaing that your shutter will only increase that much as compared to a 3.5 or 4.5....
    F1.8 is not the widest aperture, yes it will allow you to shoot handheld in low light situations, but it does not add any light to an already dim scene.

using flash, the lighting temperature u shoot at would be that of the flash..... on the other hand...shooting wif the 50mm you would be doing so in ambient...and the 50mm does not zoom like ya kit lens...which means that u may have to move alot closer as compared to zooming in at 70mm.... this reflects a change in shooting style man....

the options are out for u...

choose wisely...
    colour tempreture can be changed, with creative use of flash plus ambient you can get creative shots. going closer to the subject is always good.

should get yourself a holiday.. then can have more good shots.
    sigh.

Blog Entries

that's good advice

but that is not to say you cannot get good shots locally

I need to shoot great indoor shots of pets, people, etc, etc. Normally, using my D70, and lens kit, photos not clear esp if the shutter speed slows down bec of poor lighting. So I need help on this choice.

Did extensive readings on both these items..still cannot decide.

1) SB300 or

I would suggest u get a 50mm f1.8 and a good quality tripod, together cost about the same as flash, and u would have more fun with the lens and tripod, u can then shoot pets and ppl with natural lighting, window light, tungsten light; when in emergency u still can use the D70 build-in pop-up low-powered flash...

Thanks for all your advise, lots to think about but the issue is much clearer to me now.