Thread: A Choice to Make

Default A Choice to Make

Yes! upcoming bonus is near and I have to get something.. of course. However, only budgetted for 1 item.

I need to shoot great indoor shots of pets, people, etc, etc. Normally, using my D70, and lens kit, photos not clear esp if the shutter speed slows down bec of poor lighting. So I need help on this choice.

Did extensive readings on both these items..still cannot decide.

Should I get (1) or (2) - no money for both.
    1) SB300 or

2) Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (heard about its great clarity)

Please help me select. Thanks

Default A Choice to Make

Yes! upcoming bonus is near and I have to get something.. of course. However, only budgetted for 1 item.

I need to shoot great indoor shots of pets, people, etc, etc. Normally, using my D70, and lens kit, photos not clear esp if the shutter speed slows down bec of poor lighting. So I need help on this choice.

Did extensive readings on both these items..still cannot decide.

Should I get (1) or (2) - no money for both.
    1) SB300 or

2) Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D (heard about its great clarity)

Please help me select. Thanks

Default Re: A Choice to Make

Errr ... Are u referring to Nikon Speedlight? I don't recall that they have a SB300. For a speedlight in the same price range as the 50 f/1.8, I guess u're referring to the SB30, right?

Anyway, if u are referring to SB30, I think I'll go for the 50 f/1.8. Usually, f/1.8 is sufficient for me to take indoor shots at home. Provided, of course, that I switch on whatever available lights I have. But, that is IMHO ...

save more

For indoor shots an external flash is generally more versatile.

A large aperature lens functions well if you are shooting in low light but
    1) Cannot use flash (ie in historical buildings)
    2) Don't want to spoil the ambience (ie street scenes, moody atmospheres etc.)

However, they still require a decent amount of light to take good shots, else you have to increase ISO which creates noisy images.

For the purpose you described, shooting indoor portraits, a flash would be more useful. Combined with your kit lens you can get very good shots.
    Last edited by solarii; 27th November 2005 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    A large aperature lens functions well if you are shooting in low light but
    1) Cannot use flash (ie in historical buildings)
    2) Don't want to spoil the ambience (ie street scenes, moody atmospheres etc.)
    historical buildings cannot use flash? the 50/1.8 is kinda like a must-have lens. very cheap and very good(relatively speaking), so is a flashlight. sooner or later u're going to have both. the only reason to upgrade to an external flash would be more power. if ur in-built flash satisfies then get the 50/1.8 instead.

theres always fill-in and slow sync to preserve background lighting. also diffusers and/or bounce cards can be used to prevent harsh flashes

with the 50/1.8 u'll not only get faster shutters then ur kit lens but a noticable increase in image quality also.

p.s. im assuming the cannon 50/1.8 is as good as my nikon 50/1.8
    Last edited by roti_prata; 27th November 2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roti_prata
    historical buildings cannot use flash? the 50/1.8 is kinda like a must-have lens. very cheap and very good(relatively speaking), so is a flashlight. sooner or later u're going to have both. the only reason to upgrade to an external flash would be more power. if ur in-built flash satisfies then get the 50/1.8 instead.

theres always fill-in and slow sync to preserve background lighting. also diffusers and/or bounce cards can be used to prevent harsh flashes

with the 50/1.8 u'll not only get faster shutters then ur kit lens but a noticable increase in image quality also.

p.s. im assuming the cannon 50/1.8 is as good as my nikon 50/1.8
    1) Historical buildings with murals or other delicate works of art (ie paintings) generally ban flash photography as the pulses of light can damage the works. Agreed that there aren't many examples in Singapore.

2) Built in flash from DSLRs are generally are very harsh, and produce flat images since the light comes head-on, creating harsh shadows behind your subject. Nothing to do with preserving background details, which is normally unaffected by flash anyway. I haven't heard of people bouncing built-in DSLR flash(the head is fixed) and diffusers are generally not as effective.

The main reason people use external flashes is to obtain more natural-looking flash shots since the light can be redirected and manipulated, even repositioned if you have a wireless set-up.
    Check out this website by nikon to give you a better idea.
    http://nikonimaging.com/global/techn...ight/index.htm

I'm not saying that the 50/1.8 is not useful. Just that the flash would probably serve DarNikon better given his limited budget and intended purpose.
    Last edited by solarii; 27th November 2005 at 03:21 PM.

pulses of lite can damage paintings i dont think they're that fragile yet. i do agree that in-built flash is too harsh head-on, i only use it as commander for my [creative lighting system] to control external flashes. a dslr system wont be complete w/o an external flash

A SB-600 will be better for u.
    *best to get SB800...(y? do a search on SB800vsSB600,already debate over lots of time)

50mm F1.8- a lens that can get anytime when u want. a lot more sharper/contrasty then the kit lens.