Thread: Need Help on taking Wedding Pix (which lens to use)

Default Need Help on taking Wedding Pix (which lens to use)

Hi, a friend of mine asked me to take pictures on her wedding (aside form the official photographer that they hired). And I would want to take the opportunity also to learn
    & explore the beauty of photography.

I need advise on which approriate lens shld I use. I am thinking of buying Canon 17-40mm F4L to use as my standard Lens for the wedding (though its quite expensive). So before I finally buy, I would like to know if my current lenses are sufficient enough to take quality pictures:

I am using Canon 350D with

- Kit lens (18-55mm)
    - Canon 50mm f1.8 ,
    - Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Hoping for your help. thanks.

Thanks.

Default Re: Need Help on taking Wedding Pix (which lens to use)

if i am u, i wld prob choose the 50 and 18-55

50 is gd for low light and portraits and the 18-55 will be a gd "all in one lens". probably leave the 18-55 on most of the time. however, i think that a flash shd be necessary in this case. unless theres lots of ambient light.

u definitely need an external flash. built in flash will get u no where.

If i am you i would bring
    kit lens for wide angle cover which the main photographer would not take.
    Ur zoom lens so that you will not block the main photographer, use it to take close up.
    Pls dont anyhow flash when the main photographer is doing his job. Give him a sign or dont use flash.

This is my plan if i am doing a wedding.

oh if u are shooting backup right...i suggest u shoot the closeup expressions...it'd be cool, and different from wat the main photog could do coz he would have to have his wide on most of the time.... this would prevent duplicacy in shots

a wide angle would help too la...to capture the whole scene....

cheers..

17-40 or 16-35 will be a great place to start for a pricy lens. But do take care not to get into the mains way. Watch your reflection and stuff, nearly wanted to strangle a backup in a recent wedding. He kep gettin in my way and lagi best repeated the table to table shots. delaying the whole table shoot. A few is fine but all of the tables Didnt want to tell him directly cause he as also one of the brothers, but would definately been able to do a better job without him getting in the way. Lagi best still during tea ceromy ask the couple to face him. Or stand in front of me The main has the resposibility to deliver so while you try to ejoy yourself and build your port folio do watch out for these things. Flash is definately a must too even if you ahve bright lenses, your rarely have enough ambient light indoors. so all the best for your shoot.
    Last edited by Tsangstudios; 24th November 2005 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juncferrer
    Hi, a friend of mine asked me to take pictures on her wedding (aside form the official photographer that they hired). And I would want to take the opportunity also to learn

I need advise on which approriate lens shld I use. I am thinking of buying Canon 17-40mm F4L to use as my standard Lens for the wedding (though its quite expensive). So before I finally buy, I would like to know if my current lenses are sufficient enough to take quality pictures:

- Kit lens (18-55mm)
    - Canon 50mm f1.8 ,

Thanks.
    Never use any new equipment (even as a backup photographer) on important events (like weddings) as experimental testing. If u really must test, pick out a couple of non-important events that u'll attend to test shoot and get used to ur stuff.

In ur case, all u'll need is ur 18-55mm lens and an external flash (very important).

Ur 70-300 wun have time or space to use. So just leave it aside. 50mm.... u MIGHT be using it but prolly very little time since u need to change lens and all that.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Deregistered

Shoot without flash, shoot entirely with 50mm.

Hi Guys, thanks so much for all your time to give your advises..
    These would really guide me on how I would go about with the wedding shootout.

On the other hand, majority says external flashlight is a must.. It looks like I
    need to learn using external flashlight... I've been having difficulty actually using my
    third party flashlight Sunpak PZ40X, I tend to over expose or underexpose my shots.
    its auto mode doesn't work well also..

- Kit lens (18-55mm)
    - Canon 50mm f1.8 ,

Thanks.
    Wow, buy L lens to shoot your fren's wedding, hope your fren give u a BIG red packet

IMO, your current set is quite sufficient. Just that you lack an external flash. If i will you, i will spend the $$ to buy an ext flash: Speedlite or Sigma instead of a L lens.

You should try to explore yr current set to utilise them to their fullest. No use going into a buying mode.

50mm is sufficient to take ambient shots, gd bokeh and sharp pics.

Your kit lens will provide you with the wide angle shots for group photos.

As for the Sigma APO, you can use it to take close up of intimate moments... ie the couple whispering.

In a nutshell, you can explore many photographic opportunities with your current config. If you really need to buy, get an external flash.

Your setup is relatively light, bring all! You have a flash? You'll need it. If dun have, use the pop-up flash, but stick a few ply of tissue over it, so light will be softer. But plus 1 stop hor.

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    Wow, buy L lens to shoot your fren's wedding, hope your fren give u a BIG red packet
    The key word is "Hope".

But this hope is hoping in vain.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Hi Guys, thanks so much for all your time to give your advises..
    These would really guide me on how I would go about with the wedding shootout.

On the other hand, majority says external flashlight is a must.. It looks like I
    need to learn using external flashlight... I've been having difficulty actually using my
    third party flashlight Sunpak PZ40X, I tend to over expose or underexpose my shots.
    its auto mode doesn't work well also..
    Since they have a official photographer, IMHO just use your 50/f1.8.

Shot moments 'different' from what others will shoot. Then select a few and print 8R put in ablum give them.

And don't stress, learn to enjoy during your friends's wedding!

Quote Originally Posted by clicknick
    actually, I've been contemplating for quite sometime if I'll buy the 17-40mm to repalce my kit lens.. i was thinking that this (wedding) could be a good reason for me to buy.. but of course its a bit expensive, that's why i asked for some ideas/advises form the experts or from you guys who have more & more experiences in photography.

Quote Originally Posted by vbs1979
    IMO, your current set is quite sufficient. Just that you lack an external flash. If i will you, i will spend the $$ to buy an ext flash: Speedlite or Sigma instead of a L lens.

You should try to explore yr current set to utilise them to their fullest. No use going into a buying mode.

50mm is sufficient to take ambient shots, gd bokeh and sharp pics.

Your kit lens will provide you with the wide angle shots for group photos.

As for the Sigma APO, you can use it to take close up of intimate moments... ie the couple whispering.

In a nutshell, you can explore many photographic opportunities with your current config. If you really need to buy, get an external flash.
    Thanks so much.. your advise helps me a lot.. it clears my mind.. yeah, maybe I need to explore first my current set up try make the best out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash
    Since they have a official photographer, IMHO just use your 50/f1.8.

Shot moments 'different' from what others will shoot. Then select a few and print 8R put in ablum give them.

And don't stress, learn to enjoy during your friends's wedding!
    Thanks Snowcash.. i'll tak eyour advise.. actually, I have the tendency to shoot/work too much & forget about the event/celebration.. I shld avoid stress...

Quote Originally Posted by Max 2.8
    Your setup is relatively light, bring all! You have a flash? You'll need it. If dun have, use the pop-up flash, but stick a few ply of tissue over it, so light will be softer. But plus 1 stop hor.
    Thanks MAx.. i'll try your tips in using flash.. this is helpful as i'm not really familiar in using flash..

Do not try to cover all kind of shots. Use the 50mm 1.8 and understand the beautiful images possible with it and focus on getting 10 great pics. Do not set it at the 1.8 mode all the time. It can be soft. F2.8 onwards more ok.

More planning and then hit on the nail head works better. Your 'limited' lens can be your superb strength on actual day. It will keep you focused. The official photog will probably shoot with a zoom and flash to cover the event. You can beat his shots hollow with prime quality if you are focused.

I will forget the kit lens unless your friend want those run of the mill table shots - but a strong flash will be in order then.

Finally - shoot raw. Shoot emotions pics.

Thanks MAx.. i'll try your tips in using flash.. this is helpful as i'm not really familiar in using flash..

No need to thank lah, can help, help lor. I also shot first wedding with 1(Tamron 28-200mm) lens and 1 (EOS 300)film body only, no ext flash, just the built-in flash...Turn out, couple like mine more than the main photographer. Because I only shoot what I feel is nice, not trying to cover the whole event and doing record shots like the main photographer.

I also learnt that the built in flash when used with a long lens with big hood will cause a semi-circle shadow in my photo..ha ha...