Thread: Whats the EV function for?

Default Whats the EV function for?

Hi,
    I understand the functions for aperture and shutter speed but i still do not understand what is the EV function used for. I only know it brightens or darkens the picture but cant that effect be achieved with shutter speed and aperture? I have searched websites but still cannot understand. Kindly enlighten me. Thanks!

Default Re: Whats the EV function for?

Quote Originally Posted by scann
    I only know it brightens or darkens the picture
    That's exactly what it is for.

but cant that effect be achieved with shutter speed and aperture?
    If you set speed and aperture manually, yes. If you're using automatic exposure, you cannot set speed and aperture (at least not at the same time) - so you resort to the exposure compensation function to tell the camera what you want.

(Edit: clarified some formulation.)
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 23rd November 2005 at 01:53 PM.

alrite thanks!

EV is used mainly to compensate for instances where the camera's metering is fooled, which happens when the scene is dominated by dark (ie black clothes, signs etc) or light (snow) coloured tones.

The technical explanation on how EV works requires knowledge on how the camera meter works, which is rather long winded. So I guess you can just take it that +EV brightens the scene and -EV darkens it.

sorry to hijack the thread a little...

I'm curious what EV actually does. If i set iso 400 then +2EV will i get an extra 2 stops of brightness? (iso1600), for a cam with a max iso of 400? or will it tune the aperture/shutter instead? Or will it miraculously capture that extra 2 stops?

Quote Originally Posted by ahsosl1e8
    sorry to hijack the thread a little...

I'm curious what EV actually does. If i set iso 400 then +2EV will i get an extra 2 stops of brightness? (iso1600), for a cam with a max iso of 400? or will it tune the aperture/shutter instead? Or will it miraculously capture that extra 2 stops?
    No. It means it will over-expose by 2 stops, depending on shutter/aperture priority it automatically compensates to give +2stops . EV = Exposure Value

not sure if your cam has button marked "EV" to mean backlight exposure compensation.
    as explained by others it ups the exposure by 1 or 2 stops depending on how the manufacturer set it.

actually EV is not a function. it is exposure value.
    it is a number that represents a combination of shutter speed and aperture.
    for example if using ASA 100, then EV of 14 means a speed of 1/250 sec and f8 and all the other combinations.
    EV is given in most hand held meters.
    Last edited by ricohflex; 26th November 2005 at 10:14 PM.