Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 105

Thread: Panasonic DMC-GH5

  1. #61

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Do you mean this mic ?
    http://www.rode.com/microphones/videomicpro

  2. #62

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Basically there are 2 types. Simply put it, For those serious about sound recording will get the directional shotgun and the stereo type.

  3. #63
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by bkling1 View Post
    Thanks, got it.. the shotgun mic is what I needed..

    I may also get the smartLav+ in case for farther away recordings. I just noticed the newer version coming out soon Rode Videomic Pro+ while Goolging for it. Great stuff for affordable novice users.

  4. #64
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Update: I purchased the following to pair with the GH5:
    1 x Apunture V-Mic D2
    2 x Apunture A.lav
    1 x Olympus Digital Voice Recorder WS-852 to connect to the A.lav will probably use my iPhone as the other voice recorder

    Will test these out to see if I need a better voice recorder, other than that I think that is what I will pair GH5 with, just a light setup intended use for travel.

  5. #65
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    After about 2hours or so playing with GH5 today, I am so impressed with the video quality (recorded on MP4/LPCM FHD 8bit 50P) and this 12-60mm F2.8-F4 zoom is a good companion lens for the GH5, the background is pleasing at F4.0 zoom all the way max on video.

    Haven't really tried the camera functions just the video only as it is meant for video for what the purpose I wanted it for. I also tried the Aputure V-MIC D2, at first I wasn't sure what all the buttons were meant for as the manual does not provide much information, only after got it to set properly did I appreciate the capability to be able to get more audio gain function.

    I have yet to play with the A.lav recording to the Digital Voice Recorder, but already I am excited of the quality out of the video camera. As for photos, I think I am still going to carry a separate camera for Photo, not sure if I will mess up the settings if I have to switch between video and photos, since when travelling I will have an extra set of hands with me (wifey)..

    The Bad... hmmm I am still unable to register for my e-Warranty, what's up Panasonic??? taking too long to get the system up! plus I don't know enough about video other than comparing the video output quality, but for a hobbyist or novice user.. I think well worth to get if quality is what you want.

    P.S. I just ordered 2x 256GB Sandisk SD XC Extreme Pro U30 C10 V30, had this some good tip directly from Panasonic.. if you are going to ever record 4K, get this or better storage and I am going with that advice pronto.

    This is not meant to be a review or even a minor review but for the hobbyist that is NOT considering GH5, I think before making your final decision go have a try at the GH5 before finalising on your decision.

  6. #66

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    As for photos, I think I am still going to carry a separate camera for Photo, not sure if I will mess up the settings if I have to switch between video and photos, since when travelling I will have an extra set of hands with me (wifey)..
    You can explore using the custom memory banks on the dial to see if it helps. I've found them quite useful in this regard. For example, on my GH4, I tend to have C1 set for Photo settings, and C2 set for Video (4K cine D), C3 for more video settings (e.g. C3-1 4K / cineV, C3-2 HD, C3-3 high frame rate).

    But yeah, if you get another body, and yr wife enjoys taking pics, why not

  7. #67

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    I was called by Panasonic yesterday to collect the Vlog next Wednesday.
    I also just bought Olympus 7-14F2.8 Pro and 40-150F2.8. Generally feel that Olympus lens has better build quality the the Kit lens 12-35. They are also very sharp and fast in focus. Only problem when I recorded video 4K 10bit 60fps, when I play in my computer, the recorded sound consistently drop off at the equal interval. Not sure whether it is caused by my old computer which cannot decode it properly..at 30FPS has no issue at all.

  8. #68
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    You can explore using the custom memory banks on the dial to see if it helps. I've found them quite useful in this regard. For example, on my GH4, I tend to have C1 set for Photo settings, and C2 set for Video (4K cine D), C3 for more video settings (e.g. C3-1 4K / cineV, C3-2 HD, C3-3 high frame rate).

    But yeah, if you get another body, and yr wife enjoys taking pics, why not
    Thanks for the tips, I shall explore more.

  9. #69
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by bkling1 View Post
    I was called by Panasonic yesterday to collect the Vlog next Wednesday.
    I also just bought Olympus 7-14F2.8 Pro and 40-150F2.8. Generally feel that Olympus lens has better build quality the the Kit lens 12-35. They are also very sharp and fast in focus. Only problem when I recorded video 4K 10bit 60fps, when I play in my computer, the recorded sound consistently drop off at the equal interval. Not sure whether it is caused by my old computer which cannot decode it properly..at 30FPS has no issue at all.
    I got the same call too.. doing the upgrade on 20April.

  10. #70
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    By the way, what is required Hardware/Software wise to have a workflow from start to end that supports 4K video highest quality?

    I am just using a MacBook Pro 16G RAM only, but always finding an excuse to upgrade.
    Last edited by azul123; 13th April 2017 at 09:05 PM.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    By the way, what is required Hardware/Software wise to have a workflow from start to end that supports 4K video highest quality?

    I am just using a MacBook Pro 16G RAM only, but always finding an excuse to upgrade.
    What your hardware has impact on, is not the quality of your output, but your experience and speed of processing/editing your footage. This should give you an introduction: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...e-4k-guide.pdf

    I did a 4K project recently on a 2010 Mac Pro with 8GB RAM . Frustrating and slow, to say the least, compared to my own i7 hexa core editing rig with 32GB ram, but the Mac Pro still did the job. Just not as speedy.

  12. #72
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    What your hardware has impact on, is not the quality of your output, but your experience and speed of processing/editing your footage. This should give you an introduction: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...e-4k-guide.pdf

    I did a 4K project recently on a 2010 Mac Pro with 8GB RAM . Frustrating and slow, to say the least, compared to my own i7 hexa core editing rig with 32GB ram, but the Mac Pro still did the job. Just not as speedy.
    I can only respond in a single word, 'Wow'.

    The hardware specs in the link looks like what a Serious Application server uses, much like those Cisco UCS Blades running multiple cores. Not to mention the many man-hours to edit and super storage memory needed to cover the footage. I think, I'll keep using the FHD files for now.

    Thanks for the link it is an eye-opener and a new found respect for those doing 4K footage production.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Nah, don't let that scare you off. There's no harm in giving UHD a try, it's free to try since you already have the camera.

    Your question was just one of those things that can be very open-ended. You could spend $2K or all the way to $10K and more. A matter of balancing what you need, want, and how much budget there is. You can go as far as you want if you have an unlimited budget, or you can just work with what you have, like most of us do. E.g. If you have patience, even older hardware (like a 7 yr old mac pro with 8GB), can chug along and get things done

  14. #74

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Hi there to all those who have the GH5, can I know how is the video AF during 4K @60fps in low light condition ?

    Thanks
    GH4 GX8 EM1 VG30 A5000 D750
    P: 12-35F2.8 35-100F2.8 100-300, 25F1.4 O:7-14 12-40F2.8 45F1.8 75F1.8

  15. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    How to register the GH5? I tried to use the model listed in box (DC-GH5LGA-K) and tried what's printed on bottom of camera (DC-GH5) both the Panasonic website says
    No matching Model Number

  16. #76

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    How do you claim the vlog? I dropped by Panasonic service centre last week and the folks there had no information. Left my number and no one has called me back.

    DAK

  17. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by daklim View Post
    How do you claim the vlog? I dropped by Panasonic service centre last week and the folks there had no information. Left my number and no one has called me back.

    DAK
    They contacted, I believe it has to be bought from the retailer they stated and I was asked my contacts HP# at the shop I guess the shop sent it to Panasonic and they contacted me to schedule the upgrade.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Panny must be doing it like this to avoid people reselling it. Should make it an opt-in thing for those who need help with the installation, and not inconvenience everyone as a blanket rule.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    i just got a call for the vlog installation. the person offered to install for me or i can do it on my own from home. i chose to let them do it. will be going this friday to get it done.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Panasonic DMC-GH5

    Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i just got a call for the vlog installation. the person offered to install for me or i can do it on my own from home. i chose to let them do it. will be going this friday to get it done.
    That's not too bad, since they do give ppl a choice. Read that there's a new firmware just released, see if you can get them to do that also, since you're making the trip down anyway.

    When Panasonic introduced the Lumix DC-GH5, it made the bold promise that it would release not one, but two firmware updates that would significantly increase the performance of the camera. The first was to arrive in April and the second a bit later in 'Summer 2017.'

    True to its word, Panasonic has announced firmware v1.1 for the GH5, bringing 4:2:2 10-bit Full HD video capture and a series of enhanced capture options for anamorphic shooters.

    The firmware brings 4:2:2 10-bit IPB capture at 100Mbps to 1080/59.97p resolution. Anamorphic shooters also get 10-bit 4:2:2 IPB capture but with the larger, 3328 x 2496 shooting region encoded at 150Mbps. The update also includes two minor bug-fixes.

    Higher resolution anamorphic video capture, along with 400Mbps All-I capture for 4K and 200Mbps All-I capture for Full HD will follow in the summer release.

    https://www.dpreview.com/news/647363...rmware-updates

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •