Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the freelance photogs : Raising prices for 2006

Default Re: For the freelance photogs : Raising prices for 2006

we will never run short of freelancers providing cut throat rates or free services to spoil the market and ruin the reputation of 'freelancers' when they cannot deliver results.

I've already heard some commenting "never ever go for free-lancers, becos they .. this that this that..." these kind of comments spread easily and can kill the small local market.

I do agree with the move to up the price to maintain a sustainable environment, not only to wedding photogs and also to event photogs.

Freelance event photogs, please do join in the movement to start charging your customers.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

vince123123
    Guests

Unfortunately, you'll never be able to get everyone to cooperate

Quote Originally Posted by 2100
    Minimum market value, if they can't find $600 with prints, they LL need to pay more. Else they jolly well ask some friend with a digicam to take for them. Cooperation is key. Lets make it a better place for all.

We got to start somewhere..

Hi all,

Sure raised by majority in the wedding industry. But the standards must also double up or else..... Haiz I leave you all to imagine.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Unfortunately, you'll never be able to get everyone to cooperate
    Yup, but we've got to start somewhere. There is always some bad couples who never understands the word "quality". Just had one yesterday, "I really like your work compared to another guy, esp your xxx & xxx couple. Super shots! But my hubby insisted that we stick to the budget. Can you lower your price?". The diff is only like $150 and I explain to them you will very easily blow past that amt on the opening door ang pow if the ah-yi plays punk during the big day. But nope...... very stressful, really want to jiak because one of the tactics couples use is that if you hit their price they will fund transfer instantly.

But nope, i have policy and principle to follow, i told her she think about it first lor. My patience is rewarded, someone just called me 30 mins ago telling me that she has TT over the deposit, for my full-price package. Important thing is to hold it up!

Those ngeow couples, we leave it for the entry-level guys. I've also done that before lor, just have to grit my teeth. Everyone has to start somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    I've already heard some commenting "never ever go for free-lancers, becos they .. this that this that..." these kind of comments spread easily and can kill the small local market.
    That's a problem. I myself had to clear up the mess of a freelancing videographer. He didn't turn up, apparently there was another couple who paid slightly more and he jumped ship. Also the couple didn't pay deposit, so that's why he could jump ship so easily. Coz no case!

vince123123
    Guests

Actually no deposit doesn't mean that he can just breach the agreement like that - all depends on what was agreed

That's a problem. I myself had to clear up the mess of a freelancing videographer. He didn't turn up, apparently there was another couple who paid slightly more and he jumped ship. Also the couple didn't pay deposit, so that's why he could jump ship so easily. Coz no case!

Yup, but we've got to start somewhere. There is always some bad couples who never understands the word "quality". Just had one yesterday, "I really like your work compared to another guy, esp your xxx & xxx couple. Super shots! But my hubby insisted that we stick to the budget. Can you lower your price?". The diff is only like $150 and I explain to them you will very easily blow past that amt on the opening door ang pow if the ah-yi plays punk during the big day. But nope...... very stressful, really want to jiak because one of the tactics couples use is that if you hit their price they will fund transfer instantly.

But nope, i have policy and principle to follow, i told her she think about it first lor. My patience is rewarded, someone just called me 30 mins ago telling me that she has TT over the deposit, for my full-price package. Important thing is to hold it up!

Those ngeow couples, we leave it for the entry-level guys. I've also done that before lor, just have to grit my teeth. Everyone has to start somewhere....
    actually, during my wedding, I am one of the bad couples

I know that some photographers work are very good and worth over 1K. But we insist to stick on our allocated budget. Every component of our wedding we allocated a certain sum and we don't want to exceed. For caterer, church booking, gown etc, we have a fixed budget.

To over come this, we cut the number of photography hours. We don't need morning session, we dun need print, we don't need so many photos in CDROM and I get my friends to help out in the morning.

Bcos for morning session, if there is no photos, we are ok. We just need some photos for the church wedding.

What about the bride who said, if you give me 200 bucks discount..you will be my photographer...hey, she haven't even seen my work yet..What an insult!

Next time, I can give discount lor..quality discount that is...and also equipment discount..don't bring backup camera..

actually, when we buy things, we usually have an allocated budget for that item in mind first. right?

so, what's the use of seeing the portfolio first. the portfolio is very good, but it exceeds the allocated budget, thus, the couple has to look for another one.

the solution to this is: we have to set a line to this budget. when every photographer minimum is say, S$1000, then the couple will have to allocate a min of 1K to photography service.

why we dun allocate a budget of $5 for a TV set? bcos there is no such price. and we know that the price of a TV is from this to that and we allocate the price accordingly to this price.

when all the photographers are charging at this price more or less, couples, in the future will know that the price for photography is around that range and they will not allocate cheapskate budget.

it is about EDUCATING the customers the price for such service right?

vince123123
    Guests

Most pple see the price first and portfolio later. So i dont really think ther'e's anything wrong with asking the price or discount first and I don't think that any phtoographer should be offended (see prev post) when they talk abt price before seeing works.

Problem is these are laymen, and do not have such an artistic apprecaition for our works as us photographers - they assume that photographers are all roughly the same standard and therefore just ask about price first.

Understanding your customer is very important if you want to do business in the real world - as more often than not, the customer does not see the same way as you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo
    actually, when we buy things, we usually have an allocated budget for that item in mind first. right?

so, what's the use of seeing the portfolio first. the portfolio is very good, but it exceeds the allocated budget, thus, the couple has to look for another one.

the solution to this is: we have to set a line to this budget. when every photographer minimum is say, S$1000, then the couple will have to allocate a min of 1K to photography service.

why we dun allocate a budget of $5 for a TV set? bcos there is no such price. and we know that the price of a TV is from this to that and we allocate the price accordingly to this price.

when all the photographers are charging at this price more or less, couples, in the future will know that the price for photography is around that range and they will not allocate cheapskate budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo

Did you still keep the wedding photos?

I am just wondering if anybody as for discounts from Lawyers or Doctors?

My lowest/basic wedding price is $1,888.00. Not increasing yet.

Highest depends on how much the couple can afford.

See my portfolio. Happy? Good.

Pricing is none negotiable.

Why increasing pricing and give discount later.

No reason to give any discount.

Full stop.

respect you

Maybe CS should start a section where it acts as a kind of Registry for event/wedding photographers and whose registered members maintain a minimum standard and a set of business ethics with some kind of client grading system and of course a unified pricing policy

And also a blacklist of photogs who screw their clients
    Last edited by righton; 24th November 2005 at 08:33 PM.

as much as you would like to increase the rates. there are some things you should know..

alot of bridal studios are bringing in lots of malaysian wedding photographers. there are even studios who has packages that are $1,500 which includes album, gown, and actual day photography.
    even for the bigger packages that doesnt include actual day photography, only an extra charge of $200 for actual day photography.

just some insider market news.

on top of that. in regards to non wedding arena, the advertising area. now with getty images and other stock libraries instead of selling images based on per image and usage basis, they are now selling the images on per month subscription basis of US$229 of unlimited download. and US$299 for 3 months.
    Last edited by anka; 25th November 2005 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Most pple see the price first and portfolio later. So i dont really think ther'e's anything wrong with asking the price or discount first and I don't think that any phtoographer should be offended (see prev post) when they talk abt price before seeing works.

Problem is these are laymen, and do not have such an artistic apprecaition for our works as us photographers - they assume that photographers are all roughly the same standard and therefore just ask about price first.

Understanding your customer is very important if you want to do business in the real world - as more often than not, the customer does not see the same way as you do.
    that is the difference, your marketing and mentality makes your customers have a 'poor' impression of you.

its not hard to shoot a wedding, what is hard is to convince your customers to pay for your services. If you keep jumping at free model shoots and meet your clients at macs or BK i'm sure that your clients will ask you price first. You have to look at your marketing to reflect your self worth. If you keep peaching you are freelancer and hold day jobs, they will only think you are out to make extra income. Of course they will never pay your services for tis true worth.

do you think the super rich and people can afford my services will understand my work? Please, if they are so artistic, they will have super demands!

You must make them feel you are worth their money, by the way you dress, the way you present yourself.

if you use al cheapo albums, print with cheap labs, and basicly follow the rest, do you think your clients will give 2 hoots about you?

its all about marketing. period. you can keep complainting about your customers, i will only make them feel they are hiring someone special and will take care of their needs.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 25th November 2005 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I am just wondering if anybody as for discounts from Lawyers or Doctors?

My lowest/basic wedding price is $1,888.00. Not increasing yet.

Highest depends on how much the couple can afford.

See my portfolio. Happy? Good.

Pricing is none negotiable.

Why increasing pricing and give discount later.

No reason to give any discount.

Full stop.

i do give a slight discount for those whom can confirm my services when we meet. that saves me some hassle to meet again just to collect the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    we will never run short of freelancers providing cut throat rates or free services to spoil the market and ruin the reputation of 'freelancers' when they cannot deliver results.

I do agree with the move to up the price to maintain a sustainable environment, not only to wedding photogs and also to event photogs.

Freelance event photogs, please do join in the movement to start charging your customers.

there are always free photogs to cater for cheap clients, if you undercharge you are just doing a disservice for yourself.

Also you are branding against the brothers from across the causeway whom is the hardest market to fight.

its like how cheap can you go?

One thing I realised about pricing: if you're giving cheap prices, there's always someone else who's going to be cheaper than you. Nuff' said.

My pricing now compared to then has significantly changed mainly because over time I learned to give customers what they paid for. If they really want me to shoot and at a low budget, I shoot as usual. But I only give them the basic pictures but I also will encourage them to pay for those extra 'keeper' shots. Afterall, its markering and business, as what Belle&Sebastain mentioned. Its not really that difficult to shoot a wedding. Its the getting them to pay you for your services that's difficult. The locals here are known to be cheap anyway so no point giving so many discounts.

A piece of advice for those starting out: Don't go too easy on the couple when it comes to pricing. I've had my fair share of 'hell' with customers who appeared all friendly and happily bargain even at low prices offered but actually very shite people to work with. Good luck to everyone for the next year. This month and next fully booked liao. Hehe. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by anka
    as much as you would like to increase the rates. there are some things you should know..

alot of bridal studios are bringing in lots of malaysian wedding photographers. there are even studios who has packages that are $1,500 which includes album, gown, and actual day photography.
    even for the bigger packages that doesnt include actual day photography, only an extra charge of $200 for actual day photography.

just some insider market news.

on top of that. in regards to non wedding arena, the advertising area. now with getty images and other stock libraries instead of selling images based on per image and usage basis, they are now selling the images on per month subscription basis of US$229 of unlimited download. and US$299 for 3 months.

there are 20000 (roughly) weddings a year in sin city. How many do you need to do in order to survive? $200 a day. if you dun count gear, just pay you need to do at least 10 weddings a month to get 2K pay. Can you do 10 weddings a month? What about gear, need a D2X or and 1DmkIIn? its 7k per camera, factor your cost, you need to shoot additional 5 weddings a month to pay of it plus lens and cards and stuff. Now 15 jobs a month, wow! can you actually shoot 15 weddings a month? Not realistic right?

need to pay CPF? no wonder cheap freelancers always gain pro gear... cannot afford if you shoot cheap cheap mah.

200 bucks a wedding, use D50/350D also cannot recover costs.
    Last edited by Belle&Sebastain; 25th November 2005 at 05:40 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast