Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaffer Tapes: Creative ways of using them

Default Gaffer Tapes: Creative ways of using them

Having sold several hundreds rolls of gaffer tapes to CS members over the past 2 years 9 months, would like to hear from everyone their experiences

Feel free to share your experiences / suggestions, so long it is nothing kinky. In other words, application of tapes should be on equipment only, e.g camera bodies and not bodies

Please be a bit more specific and to get the ball rolling:

1. Cover those glaring labels like the red dot that screams "LEICA". Disguise your Leica m6/mp to look like a lao pok camera from antique shop.

2. Acts as a foundation for other adhesive that will leave sticky residue. Gaffer your Canon 1Ds and you can apply any other adhesive tapes to it - customise it for Paris Hilton using pink tapes or luminous tape for the attention seeking.

Default Re: Gaffer Tapes: Creative ways of using them

I use my one and only roll as the main attraction in my zoo, sitting quietly among the white elephants

Gaffering the chrome back of my iPod so that it remains in zero scratch condition.

And I noe I'm gonna get hit with things like, "If that's the case u might as well gaffer ur watch as well."

And to those ppl who are thinking along that line, my reply would be, "And you don't complain to anyone when ur iPod's chrome back gets scratched!"

Anyway, the gaffer tape is kinda rough so in actual fact, it makes a new iPod much easier to handle as well, putting some kind of 'grip' on the smooth slippery chrome.
    Last edited by jsbn; 22nd November 2005 at 05:37 PM.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Blog Entries

Try not to veer off-topic (if it does, I will remove and clean up) but my wife has been using my precious gaffer tape as a substitute for our DustBuster vacuum cleaner (which is under repair) - she uses it to pick up all the fluff and stuff from the kids room carpet.

And here I was wondering how come my full roll of gaffer become like half-roll in 2 weeks......

*faint*

Application to camera bodies?

How abt the awful grip with Canon 300D & 350D where the black rubber coating would fall off?
    Gaffer tape is definitely a great substitute for it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...s_up_sony_drm/

Gaffer tape defeats Sony DRM rootkit

By John Leyden
    Published Monday 21st November 2005 13:09 GMT

Sony's controversial DRM technology - which installs rootkit-style software when users play Sony BMG CDs on Windows PCs - can be defeated easily with nothing more than a piece of masking tape, security researchers have discovered.

Sony BMG has endured a public-relations and legal nightmare after it emerged digital rights management (DRM) software installed on some of its music CDs (First4Internet XCP program) created a handy means for hackers to hide malware from anti-virus scanning programs.

Under pressure, Sony has been forced to recall discs loaded with the technology and create an exchange program for consumers. The music label still faces class action lawsuits by users who allege that their PCs have been damaged by the technology.

Now analyst house Gartner has discovered that the technology can be easily defeated simply by applying a fingernail-sized piece of opaque tape to the outer edge of the disc. This renders session two which contains the self-loading DRM software unreadable.

"The PC then treats the CD as an ordinary single-session music CD, and the commonly used CD 'rip' programs continue to work as usual. Moreover, even without the tape, common CD-copying programs readily duplicate the copy-protected disc in its entirety," Gartner (which is at pains to say it doesn't endorse the use of rip technology) explains.

So Sony's DRM technology is not going to prevent tech-savvy home users - much less pirates - from copying CDs to their heart's content even though it loads "stealth" software onto the PCs of the less informed. "After more than five years of trying, the recording industry has not yet demonstrated a workable DRM scheme for music CDs," Gartner concludes. It reckons the music industry will abandon attempts to encumber CDs with DRM software and refocus its efforts on pushing legislation to require that DRM technology be integrated into PCs.

Update

Placing gaffer tape on the edge of a CD may make it unbalanced and could cause damage to the disc or (worse) drive as it spins at high speed. A better option, as Reg readers point out, might be to disable Windows autorun.
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

Blog Entries

looks cool when i gaffer my torn jeans

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119
    looks cool when i gaffer my torn jeans
    Looks even cooler when you use gaffer instead of the zip.

There's actually not much use for this gaffer tape.

It's really great for taping down wires for lighting and props as it's pretty darn strong, for stage purposes i guess. Camera wise, I've used about 5% of the roll. For other uses, about 70% so far. Canturn's tape beats the tape that my theatre course provides me with hands down. It doesn't smell funky like most other brands do too, which is really cool.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Plus its great for those temporary black banners that u're putting up on the wall.

Leaves no residue. Stick it up and rip 'em off!

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Gaffering the chrome back of my iPod so that it remains in zero scratch condition.

And I noe I'm gonna get hit with things like, "If that's the case u might as well gaffer ur watch as well."

And to those ppl who are thinking along that line, my reply would be, "And you don't complain to anyone when ur iPod's chrome back gets scratched!"

Anyway, the gaffer tape is kinda rough so in actual fact, it makes a new iPod much easier to handle as well, putting some kind of 'grip' on the smooth slippery chrome.
    Ipod...hmmmm...never occur to me, hehehehehehehehhehe.

Very soon, u might see me walking around with a black Powerbook

when u are really pissed with someone, stick it onto their hair, legs, arms, head, face wherever,
    -- and rip - guaranteed satisfaction.

the gaffer tape has seen action when my toliet bowl seat cover cracked and my black leather sofa got worn out.

i have an tough a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by canturn
    Ipod...hmmmm...never occur to me, hehehehehehehehhehe.

Very soon, u might see me walking around with a black Powerbook
    Prolly u can get those clear plastic transparencies and den gaffer it around da edges.

I'm really tempted to spray my iBook black...

Quote Originally Posted by silverfrond
    when u are really pissed with someone, stick it onto their hair, legs, arms, head, face wherever,
    -- and rip - guaranteed satisfaction.
    Wah....

To do that, I have to order another grade of gaffer tape, probably Permacel ones that are ultra strong.

I thought using it for bikini waxing is already bizzare enough.....

For robbing a person there is nothing surpassing gaffer for tying up the hands and legs and another piece over the mouth to stop him/her squealing.

Consider this an ad for gaffer.

You can ask Donchua or Grigri to do it for you. You want jungle or desert camo with that too?

Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    You can ask Donchua or Grigri to do it for you. You want jungle or desert camo with that too?
    With black gaffer tape as the base, u can apply all kinds of normal tapes over it - camo, white, pink or pokka dot design even

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    the gaffer tape has seen action when my toliet bowl seat cover cracked and my black leather sofa got worn out.

i have an tough a$$.
    I gaffer-taped my back pockets to stop the itchy hands of pickpokets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast