View Poll Results: What style of photography are you adopting?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • "One Shot, One Kill"

    27 57.45%
  • Shoot in Quantity, choose the Quality"

    20 42.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: What style of shooting are you adopting?

  1. #1

    Default What style of shooting are you adopting?

    For SLR users, most will find the cost of developing photos high, so will make sure that each photo is well composed before the shot. In other words, "One Shot, One Kill"

    For most Digital users, most will shoot in volumes, and then view it in the LCD viewfinder, or download the best photo they capture. In other words, "choose quality from the quantity"

    I am just curious about what kind of photography style most people adopt.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    shoot till i tink i get it right theory....it can be 10 shots..it can be 500 shots..

  3. #3

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    i think i will trigger happy when i need to get something wrothy...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang, Singapore
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    I personally find that just shoot 1 best shot will be enough....

    Shooting many means more $$ as I am a FSLR user.

    But also must depend on situation.... unless its damn imPt jiu whack more shots at different angles.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Of_The_Beach
    For SLR users, most will find the cost of developing photos high, so will make sure that each photo is well composed before the shot. In other words, "One Shot, One Kill"

    For most Digital users, most will shoot in volumes, and then view it in the LCD viewfinder, or download the best photo they capture. In other words, "choose quality from the quantity"

    I am just curious about what kind of photography style most people adopt.

    Have you seen how SLR people photographed? "One Shot, One Kill?"

    I had seen SLR people photographed. One "thousand shots" - and pray for "one kill!". There are exceptions of course. But the idea that SLR film photographers are "One Shot One Kill" is plainly inaccurate.

    The closest I have seen of the "one shot one kill" are those photographers who use largeformat cameras. And especially the Ultra-large format photographers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,159

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    then if for DSLR, one shot one kill means no need to do PP work?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    a half dead pic oso i happy!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,166

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    I see raw fashion/ads photos used up a few rolls for the same photo with slight variations and out of a few rolls, choose 1 or 2. Anyway, I also shoot as much as I can and choose a photo I like best. I believe in taking advantage of available resources than insisting on living in the past.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    I believe in more shots. A priceless moments can never be recreated again.

    Now with DSLR, can shoot more without developing cost.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,574

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I see raw fashion/ads photos used up a few rolls for the same photo with slight variations and out of a few rolls, choose 1 or 2. Anyway, I also shoot as much as I can and choose a photo I like best. I believe in taking advantage of available resources than insisting on living in the past.
    c if they can afford 2 do this if they r paid like those in Consumers Corner.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by dawgbyte77
    I see raw fashion/ads photos used up a few rolls for the same photo with slight variations and out of a few rolls, choose 1 or 2. Anyway, I also shoot as much as I can and choose a photo I like best. I believe in taking advantage of available resources than insisting on living in the past.

    Yours is one way of seeing and doing things.

    "Living in the past" as you called it, had produced some of the most spectacular images in the history of photography.

    What "mode" one adoptss should depend on the choice of photographic mediums and subjects. If for example, one is a photojournalist, and had to raise his camera above the heads of the masses of people, I will not be surprised if he had to expose hundreds of frames to get "that one". It is totally irrelevant whether he used a film or digital camera. But one can use a 35 mm SLR or DSLR for still life, and depending on the skills of the photographer, may even achieve a "One Shot One Kill" taret.

    But if one aspires to take an image with a 20x24 inches film camera and contact print it, the nature of the process cannot allow for a random shooting. It will be a logistic nightmare. But the technical possibilities in a print from such a a 20x24 film cannot be equalled by ANY commercial digital process at this moment of time. At this moment, a 22 megapixel file cannot even dream of equalling the information in a 8x10 inches negative, let alone a 11x14 inches. We do not need to talk about 20x24 and larger.

    So, in my way of seeing, the choice of shooting mode will depend on the subject matter and the choice of equipment.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,166

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    Yours is one way of seeing and doing things.

    "Living in the past" as you called it, had produced some of the most spectacular images in the history of photography.

    What "mode" one adoptss should depend on the choice of photographic mediums and subjects. If for example, one is a photojournalist, and had to raise his camera above the heads of the masses of people, I will not be surprised if he had to expose hundreds of frames to get "that one". It is totally irrelevant whether he used a film or digital camera. But one can use a 35 mm SLR or DSLR for still life, and depending on the skills of the photographer, may even achieve a "One Shot One Kill" taret.

    But if one aspires to take an image with a 20x24 inches film camera and contact print it, the nature of the process cannot allow for a random shooting. It will be a logistic nightmare. But the technical possibilities in a print from such a a 20x24 film cannot be equalled by ANY commercial digital process at this moment of time. At this moment, a 22 megapixel file cannot even dream of equalling the information in a 8x10 inches negative, let alone a 11x14 inches. We do not need to talk about 20x24 and larger.

    So, in my way of seeing, the choice of shooting mode will depend on the subject matter and the choice of equipment.
    I agree. As I said, for 20x24, your available resources are limited but if (theoretically) technology brings this level more affordable, I would still shoot quantities.

    What I mean by living in the past is that this question 10 years ago will have a different answer from me. 10 years from now, I'm sure it will be different as well. Hope I was not misunderstood. Basically its one way of seeing things, as you say.

  13. #13
    Phildate
    Guests

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Talking to a Nat Geog photog one time, he told me that he would be given 1000 films to shoot on a trip and be fined for each one he didn't finish!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,159

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Talking to a Nat Geog photog one time, he told me that he would be given 1000 films to shoot on a trip and be fined for each one he didn't finish!!
    thats nice...just shoot everything you see....1000x32=32000pictures

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Talking to a Nat Geog photog one time, he told me that he would be given 1000 films to shoot on a trip and be fined for each one he didn't finish!!
    Yeah, every composition at different settings brings out a different photograph with different moods, purpose, etc. So every photograph is different. it really depends on what you are trying to tell...

  16. #16

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    i think it all depends on what you are shooting-

    if i am shooting 'composition', i try to go for one shot one kill. i walk around, look into the frame and eventually sometimes not take a shot at all! i guess this attitude came from the SLR days and i find it very useful even with a DSLR because it makes me think about light and composition.

    if i am trying to capture 'emotion', i just keep shooting without worrying (DSLR). with candids, portraits etc. it is very difficult to anticipate the right moment so one has to be ready all the time to shoot. and with a DSLR it doesnt bother me to keep shooting in the hope that i capture that elusive moment.

  17. #17

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by vkashi
    i think it all depends on what you are shooting-

    if i am shooting 'composition', i try to go for one shot one kill. i walk around, look into the frame and eventually sometimes not take a shot at all! i guess this attitude came from the SLR days and i find it very useful even with a DSLR because it makes me think about light and composition.

    if i am trying to capture 'emotion', i just keep shooting without worrying (DSLR). with candids, portraits etc. it is very difficult to anticipate the right moment so one has to be ready all the time to shoot. and with a DSLR it doesnt bother me to keep shooting in the hope that i capture that elusive moment.

    Agreed. If I am going on tour, I dont think I will shoot in quantity. Whats most important is to enjoy the moment, and the experience.

    A photo or 2 of one scene will be able to generate thoughts of the experience at that time....

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    605

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    To me, I've got to shoot in quantities! Cuz my settings always wrong must practice more or else everytime I try to take pictures of friends and family they alway shout "weeeii, faster ler.. you know how to shoot anot" that makes me sad..
    Anyways I'm just a month old DSLR baby still got lots to learn!
    My **flickr Album

  19. #19

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbok
    To me, I've got to shoot in quantities! Cuz my settings always wrong must practice more or else everytime I try to take pictures of friends and family they alway shout "weeeii, faster ler.. you know how to shoot anot" that makes me sad..
    Anyways I'm just a month old DSLR baby still got lots to learn!
    Sama! I also about 1 month old only....thats why until I practice to a standard of "can see light", I try to use auto mode for family or friends gathering.

    For now, most of time I shoot in quantity, at least until I improve my skills....

    Has doing some reading up from books and net, and also from this forum. Very enlightening and tons of info to educate me. and sometimes kena "poisioned" in process....tripods, lens, bags, etc.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: What style of shooting are you adopting?

    To me, "in camera" techniques are generally better than post-process. Composition, lighting, colour, mood and the subject need to be considered carefully with that look through the VF. Ultimately, it's a question of whether you can "see" something and portray a certain feeling or emotion and tell a story about the subject.

    Of course, if we're talking action shots, then just let loose that "Continuous" mode and hope for the best.

    So it depends on what you are trying to get out of your pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •