Thread: All in a day's work

Default All in a day's work

Saw this grasscutter slogging up the gentle slope on a Sunday ..it made me feel how sometimes we don't notice the minute roles that these individuals play.. Comments?

Default Re: All in a day's work

Crop tighter. Not to sound harsh, but the gate and the bin are especially distracting. When I look at it, the first thing I see is the bin and not the man.

You have chosen to shoot from a high vantage point which is good! Take advantage of it by using the road as your background, thereby avoiding any distracting elements, like gates or bins.

Other than that you have managed to convey the hardship the man faces, pushing the mower while juggling to control his bike. If there were a luxury car parked nearby, it could serve as a good contrast.
    Last edited by solarii; 22nd November 2005 at 12:19 AM.

i think the bin and gate serve a good purpose. without them, it would juz be a man pushing a lawn mower on empty streets. the message convayed would be lost. maybe you could have included more of that tree with the fallen branchs to show his work

solarii...tks for your comments! i actually wanted to crop tighter but cuz i was shooting it from my window, and my window pane got in the way..and there were some luxury cars about 5 metres away, but had to crop it away cuz again of the window pane! will pay attention to those details in the future

Rotiprata, tks also for your comments, he was actually cutting the grass at one of the houses further down where he was walking up from..but i think i get wat u mean by including the trees and branches to put emphasis on the hard work that he's done.

Oh sam another thing. The empty space should be in front of the man, not behind him. Gives him a sense of direction, ie space to push into. I felt the compostion was a little odd, but couldn't put my finger on wat until now.

Yup i know 'bout your constraints, just some additional pointers.

tks solarii

will take note of that..

just curious, how would an empty space in front of the man actually give him direction? He's walking upwards, but not exactly towards the space..can u elaborate so i know wat u mean
    tks

oops

i got it.. i was thikning of space in terms of nearer to me, and not in the direction he's walking towards..cheers

just my personal opinion.....

I feel that the overall image could do better if you threw in alot more contrast and threw in selected burns in some areas

also the perspective and the back of subject makes the image a little impersonal (but thats just personal to me)

was this shot at a longer focal length?

Was this taken near Macperson area?

righton

tks for your comments. I was actually trying to work on this "burn thing" but i still cant figure out how to do it..as in doing it via photoshop. it comes out come patchy..so i did away with it

Photo was taken with Kit Lens..

Leumas

Nope not macpherson.. seletar hills