Thread: Capturing Northern Light - what basic setup is required?

Default Capturing Northern Light - what basic setup is required?

hi...i would like to ask if dslr is a must for capturing northern lights? If so, will a basic dslr like Canon 1000D be enough?

Pasir Ris

Default Re: Capturing Northern Light - what basic setup is required?

From a thread that you can find searching through the previous forum posts:

Camera Body: Almost any camera―either digital or film―will work for photographing the aurora, as long as you can adjust it manually to take time exposures of 10-30 seconds or longer. An all-automatic camera may not work well for these photos, I'm afraid, but it's certainly worth trying.

Digital cameras do a great job if you set them for a fast ISO (800, 1600 or faster). Cold temperatures will sap battery strength, so carry spare batteries in a warm place, such as an inside pocket, an change them out from time to time. And don't worry about using a light meter; it usually will only work for your daytime photos!
    For shooting film, an older mechanical camera body―one that doesn't use batteries to open the shutter―will usually work best. That doesn't mean that your automatic or semi-automatic camera won't work. Always carry plenty of spare batteries.

[Dennis' Equipment: Currently I use a Nikon D750 DSLR camera body for shooting the lights.]

[Dennis' Recommendation: Any camera that can be adjusted for manual exposures. For film, a mechanical, all-manual camera body is best; many digital cameras also work well.]
    Knowledge is a must, from there you will be able to select your equipment.
    Last edited by Octarine; 4th August 2016 at 08:53 AM.

Default Re: Capturing Northern Light - what basic setup is required?

There's another post just slightly below yours talking about the same topic... but it's more focused on gears.

But as to your question you have posted, you might have alot of reading to do. Especially on the basics of long exposure and it's effects (Do remember that aurora movement can be quite fast).
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]