Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux, anyone?

Blog Entries

Default Linux, anyone?

any Linux pros/gurus here? i'm exploring options for using linux dat is bootable on CDs for me to surf. so far, i only know Knoppix. is there other options? i'm not too keen on installing linux on my laptop cos (a) still need windoze for PS, and (b) very bad experience installing mandrake last year...

been a while since i caught up with all the various flavours of Linux. appreciate some guidance here.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Default Re: Linux, anyone?

Try Ubuntu.

www.ubuntulinux.org

They have a 'live' version too. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and very easy to use. I prefer this live CD to Knoppix, and definitely prefer the installed version of Ubuntu to Mandrake (which I also had a bad experience with, long ago).

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    any Linux pros/gurus here? i'm exploring options for using linux dat is bootable on CDs for me to surf. so far, i only know Knoppix. is there other options? i'm not too keen on installing linux on my laptop cos (a) still need windoze for PS, and (b) very bad experience installing mandrake last year...

been a while since i caught up with all the various flavours of Linux. appreciate some guidance here.
    U need Linux bro?

U can grab a copy of linux here: http://fedora.redhat.com/
    My copy is RedHat 8 so some stuff (like wireless LAN) doesn't work too well and u have to recompile the WLAN driver if urs is not supported.

Fedora Core 4 is a lot better.

U want u can do a dual-boot oso? Install Linux first before doing Windows. Both have their strong points. Alternatively, u can wait till the MacIntel comes up next year. Prolly all ur windows PS plugins might be able to work on it.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

If your Laptop is powerful enough, why not running Virtual PC?

Dual boot lah... run native mode faster...

I was using Ubuntu for quite a while on my previous laptop which dont know due to what problem that I couldnt install windows on it after it crashed! My IT friend installed quite a few versions of Linux for me before and I find Ubuntu the easiest to use. I dont even remember the names for the other versions now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    Try Ubuntu.

www.ubuntulinux.org

They have a 'live' version too. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and very easy to use. I prefer this live CD to Knoppix, and definitely prefer the installed version of Ubuntu to Mandrake (which I also had a bad experience with, long ago).
    hmm.. thanks, skinnylatte! haven't seen this one b4.

actually, it was mandrake dat put me off linux. must be me, i guess... tried installing in a partition hdd on my laptop. totally messed up the system. plus, it was a pain trying to find all the drivers needed and i wasn't familiar with all the Unix commands. got one heck of a time trying to figure out even the simplest task of installing a programme and creating a folder. in the end, i gave up. gave the CDs away to another fren of mine.... come to think of it, dat was the last i heard of my fren...

thanks for the help, folks! will be downloading the ISO from the website tonite to try. just hope it won't crash my laptop again....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Dedicated linux help/discussion in sg : http://www.lugs.org.sg/mailman/listinfo/slugnet

Ubuntu's pretty easy to use.... hope you like it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus
    Ubuntu's pretty easy to use.... hope you like it.
    thanks, Zplus... downloading it now.

if anyone hears a loud and anguish scream somewhere in CCK... just ignore. its just my laptop crashing....

anyone install Mac OS in Linux on a Intel x86 machine?

We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Wai

Nope, I never did that... I've a couple of solaris and redhats for me to play in office

Blog Entries

decided to try knoppix instead... can't find the live version of ubantu...

Quote Originally Posted by Wai

U mean something like wine?

Nah... Got my iBook, happy can install Fedora Core 4, or YellowDog Linux do dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    decided to try knoppix instead... can't find the live version of ubantu...
    Or you could try gnoppix http://www.gnoppix.org/. A distro based on Ubuntu. I haven't try
    it myself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    U mean something like wine?

Nah... Got my iBook, happy can install Fedora Core 4, or YellowDog Linux do dual boot.
    wine? anyway, i have been using ibook too, waiting for intel based powerbook before i upgrade

love the 15" HD wide screen

hope you have a better time with ubuntu! run as far away from windoze as you can!

(my escaping windows story also involved unhappy experiences with mandrake first, then red hat, then... i found peace in mac os x)

Quote Originally Posted by skinnylatte
    hope you have a better time with ubuntu! run as far away from windoze as you can!

(my escaping windows story also involved unhappy experiences with mandrake first, then red hat, then... i found peace in mac os x)
    aiyah.... when doing digital photography..... cannot run away from windoze one lah..... linux no colour management...

Quote Originally Posted by idor
    aiyah.... when doing digital photography..... cannot run away from windoze one lah..... linux no colour management...
    but colour management in windows is a joke too...the coming windows vista claims to be better in handling this...but let's wait and see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast