Thread: The Expanse of the Four

Default The Expanse of the Four

Shot with Canon Powershot G2
    Edited in Photoshop 6. Tweaked/Cropped
    Last edited by quackaroo; 17th February 2002 at 02:44 AM.
    Illumn|Facebook| Canon 5D Mark II | 16-35mm 2.8L | 24-70mm f2.8L | 85mm 1.8 | Strobist

Default Re: The Expanse of the Four

Nice shot! Where did you took it?
    Canon Lover :)

Nice.... The leck of contrast between the girl's Uniform and the floor gives kind of out of this world feeling.

It's a pity about the JPG compression artifacts... it's a nice shot! Would love to see the original, I have this feeling you might've tweaked the contrast, I find it just a tad too contrasty? Possibly also to have this in B&W too.

Originally posted by Jed
    It's a pity about the JPG compression artifacts... it's a nice shot! Would love to see the original, I have this feeling you might've tweaked the contrast, I find it just a tad too contrasty? Possibly also to have this in B&W too.
    I have a much higher resolution one, and untweaked of cos. maybe i over did it abit. but the effect i wanted to achieve was one of very high contrast and surreal kind of feeling. It was heavy editing. the original pic didnt have the effect i wanted. ill post it later. cos if i did. well. the effect that i wanted to achieve with this picture will be taken away because of the comparision with the original.
    Illumn|Facebook| Canon 5D Mark II | 16-35mm 2.8L | 24-70mm f2.8L | 85mm 1.8 | Strobist

the original. edited abit...

rostov
    Guests

Bloody good piece of work, IMHO!

1) Magic number achieved : 3, 4, 7. You got the 4.
    2) It tells a story -- if any of them face away from the circle, that's it
    3) Position of the circle of 4 is nearly perfect.

the photo can be made better with some simple PS trick. But commendation for a good eye. Good timing as well
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

thats why i tweaked it to the above.
    when i took the picture. i had in mind how i was going to edit it. i wanted the contrast of white space. ngee ang city autrium didnt had one. so i tweaked

Originally posted by rostov
    Bloody good piece of work, IMHO!

1) Magic number achieved : 3, 4, 7. You got the 4.
    2) It tells a story -- if any of them face away from the circle, that's it
    3) Position of the circle of 4 is nearly perfect.
    thank you! i think ur really darn funny

rostov
    Guests

Originally posted by quackaroo

thank you! i think ur really darn funny
    ?!?! Er.... Thanks, but honestly *blur* I still don't know where my humor lies...

Maybe it's the 3,4,7 ruleset. Ok, personally I learnt this from "Photo Composition" by Ulf Sjostedt, published by R. Morgan Publishing 1989 (ISBN 0-902979-09-4).

Under the chapter "Sacred Numbers" page 117 :

It is strange how sacred numbers can affect a composition. Their force field is obvious enough. They are magical. I don't think anyone knows how they came to be regarded as sacred, but they do exist, and they are very old.

The most magical numbers are 3, 4 and 7. Used properly they can raise the picture content from the trivial to the superlative. The numbers alone are not sufficient, but they can be of great help in composing a picture.
    He goes on the illustrate with pictures comparing those with 1,2,3,4,7 subjects, in combination with an example similar to your picture -- a pic of 3 kids (one look away) and a pic with 3 kids with a general direction (stronger composition).

So personally, where I've failed in my practice in the inclusion of this practical, I find success in your shot, and find it very nice!

nanyang girls rite
    never take their face
    the chio a not

Originally posted by nicholas1986
    nanyang girls rite
    never take their face
    the chio a not
    aiyoh!!!! u sickening! ppl see photo, u go see girls!!!

Originally posted by masada

aiyoh!!!! u sickening! ppl see photo, u go see girls!!!
    the girls are part of the picture what (subject) they very eye catching loh... then i got no choice but to observe them

u guys do amuse me.

frankly. i composed the picture to show space and contrast.

faces aside. i noticed the shoes alot