Thread: Some basic questions on PnS cams

Default Some basic questions on PnS cams

hi guys, ive always been using PnS for many years before i got my 350D. and it was always a chore to take night pics.

there was no significance of night pics because the background will all be blacked out. it doesnt matter if you took a photo in city hall or clementi because the background will look the same. (assuming flash photog for family on holiday in a foreign country)

2ndly, the Av mode on A series canon doesnt meter the same way the DSLRs do. it doesnt meter ambient lgihting whihc means that regardless of using Av or P mode, the results using built in flash are the same.

Another thing, to me, the Manual control modes on PnS are really not useful all the time. u get the same shots in P, or in Av because the DOF is enormous for Pns. the onyl time it works is when using Macro mode. so my 2nd question is...do the manaual controls actually prove useful for PnS cams?

1) How do you guys use PnS cams for night pics. when u use ur PnS on holiday, and u wanna take photos at night, do you just contend with a black background or do you try and use slow sync flash and try to handhold?

2) A series users, do you find the manual modes useful at all? i always use P mode only to select ISO50. Tv occasionally for capturing waterfall etc. M mode....i hardly, if ever use this mode. do you find any point in using M mode? how bout Av? with the exception of macro photography, how often do you use this mode?
    Last edited by Isaiahfortythirtyone; 19th November 2005 at 07:30 PM.

Default Re: Some basic questions on PnS cams

1) Your answer will find in the second question

2) M mode can do a slow sync to achieve night portraits shots. For example, set it to 2 sec shutter at F5.6, ISO100 with flash set to lowest/medium power, set it on tripod (or something steady) and shoot with 2 sec timer. You will get a decent night portrait shot.

Most of the time I shoot at AV mode. Although the small DC doesn't really produce fanciful DOF, but there chances where you want more sharpness than those slightly blurred background.

hmm i would definitely use Av mode if i could tell the diff, but most of the time, i cant, unless its macro stuff. other than a supposed increase in sharpness (does it happen) is there any other justification for using Av mode?

thanks for the enlightenment on Qn1. will try that out. wlel the prob is that most of the time in the past, i only carry my A95 on holiday. no tripod, nothing. haha.

If you do zoom in to 100%, for F2.8, you will notice some DOF effect if you taking an object far from the background (say portrait with lanscape shots), which is not ideal. So normally I will put myself at F5.6 at least to play save. For A80 (similar to A95), F5.6 should give you almost infinity focus. But of course F7.1 - F8 will be safer.

Read somewhere (Bryan Peterson's Creative Photograhy, i think) that the aperture on PnS is not the same in dslr. A f2.8 in Pns is equivalent to the f5.6 in dSLR or or even a more!

That's prob why you dont get the shallow DOF as often as when u want it! I've been trying that on my Pns, sometimes can, sometimes cannot. Most ot the time I get a shallow DOF, its in Portrait mode. (Panasonice LZ2).