Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Recommendation for DSLR

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4

    Lightbulb Recommendation for DSLR

    Hi all, newbie here need some advise & help in choosing DSLR.
    I'm not a pro but I'm trying to be, probably only take out my DSLR when i'm travelling on vacation.
    I'm currently using Nikon D3300 for about some years, which I found it's quite compact for entry level like me.

    Recently wish to upgrade my DSLR to flip-out screen DSLR as I did some travel filming & phothography, flip-out screen could be more convenience for filming. Hope anyone here can recommend me a DSLR, prefer Nikon / Canon. Basically I got Canon EOS 70D in my mind, but i wish to hear more voice before I make my decision.

    some basic requirements of DSLR must be : -
    1. has flip-out screen (So i can do some selfie )
    2. built-in auto focus motor (as i did portrait shoot i think 50mm lens need this correct me if i'm wrong)
    3. Full HD shoot movies 1080p @ 60fps
    4. Video auto-focus contrast detection
    5. Great imagine quality 82.0 or above
    6. has more focus point
    7. has higher pic resolution than my D3300


    Appreciated for every suggestions and thanks for your time.
    Last edited by GIGGLE; 21st July 2016 at 11:44 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,516

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    I feel Canon is stronger than Nikon for video. A very important thing for you to consider is glass. What Nikkors do you have? Yes 50mm is good all arounder and good for portraits especially on crop camera. BTW hello and welcome to CS...really good camera forum one can learn a lot here I know I have...

    PS. don't worry about being pro just shoot as much as possible...I've been shooting for 5 plus years and I get better the more I shoot...I feel this is the secret to making proficient solid snaps.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 21st July 2016 at 11:54 AM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonzen View Post
    I feel Canon is stronger than Nikon for video. A very important thing for you to consider is glass. What Nikkors do you have? Yes 50mm is good all arounder and good for portraits especially on crop camera. BTW hello and welcome to CS...really good camera forum one can learn a lot here I know I have...
    Hi Nikonzen, nice to know you and hope to learn some basic here.
    I'm using 2 Nikkor. 18-55mm lens & 50-200mm lens. Last few months plan to get 50mm f/1.8 but unfortunately my D3300 has no built-in focus motor. Hence, I need 50mm f/1.8D something if i'm not wrong. End up doesn't get it in the end and still using default 18-55mm Nikkor lens.

    Canon stronger than nikon in film ? how about photography ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,516

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Nikkor af-s lenses have silent wave motor (like your kit lenses) so they will focus with your 3300. 50/1.8 g is such a lens. To get flip screen with Nikon you must go to 5000 series body. Probably good advice for you is get good book on fundamentals of digital photography and subscription to magazine. If you feel you must get new camera it is okay...sometimes it is nice to have something new...please study thoroughly your options.

    It is really up to how much time and effort you put into the hobby that determines how good you can get despite what brand or body you have or even lenses. You really can't go wrong with any of the latest gear past couple of years.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 21st July 2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nikonzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    2,516

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    http://www.adammarelliphoto.com/2011/06/robert-capa/

    Read this...study and apply...you will become stronger photographer. Watch good classic movies...study how scenes are composed and the lighting. The basics are all around you just learn how to see and how camera sees things...how different focal lengths see things.

    Snap snap snap and share with us your progress.
    Last edited by Nikonzen; 21st July 2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Expand your mind or get left behind

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    711

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by GIGGLE View Post
    Hi Nikonzen, nice to know you and hope to learn some basic here.
    I'm using 2 Nikkor. 18-55mm lens & 50-200mm lens. Last few months plan to get 50mm f/1.8 but unfortunately my D3300 has no built-in focus motor. Hence, I need 50mm f/1.8D something if i'm not wrong. End up doesn't get it in the end and still using default 18-55mm Nikkor lens.

    Canon stronger than nikon in film ? how about photography ?
    Hi, you need a AF-S 50mm f1.8G lens if you plan to use with your D3300 and not the D lens, hope this help

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by GIGGLE View Post
    Hi all, newbie here need some advise & help in choosing DSLR.
    I'm not a pro but I'm trying to be, probably only take out my DSLR when i'm travelling on vacation.
    I'm currently using Nikon D3300 for about some years, which I found it's quite compact for entry level like me.

    Recently wish to upgrade my DSLR to flip-out screen DSLR as I did some travel filming & phothography, flip-out screen could be more convenience for filming. Hope anyone here can recommend me a DSLR, prefer Nikon / Canon. Basically I got Canon EOS 70D in my mind, but i wish to hear more voice before I make my decision.

    some basic requirements of DSLR must be : -
    1. has flip-out screen (So i can do some selfie )
    2. built-in auto focus motor (as i did portrait shoot i think 50mm lens need this correct me if i'm wrong)
    3. Full HD shoot movies 1080p @ 60fps
    4. Video auto-focus contrast detection
    5. Great imagine quality 82.0 or above
    6. has more focus point
    7. has higher pic resolution than my D3300


    Appreciated for every suggestions and thanks for your time.
    So you have used D3300 for some years and is itching for something better.Mind you your choice of Canon 70d puts you in the mid range quality of cameras.If you check online 70d is compared to Nikon
    D7100 is is quite dated by now.Now there is canon 80d and nikon D7200.

    1. sensor resolution -both are at 24Mp which is not far from D3300 at 20Mp.So not much a step up.try 36Mp...haha.

    2. focus points - d70 has 19 cross type vs 21 o D7200 but in total 51 of the simpler detectors.

    3. sensor sensivity - d70 up to 25800 expand while D7200 is doubled. Meaning it's able to focus down to -3EV in low light.Useful for indoor situations.Canon d70 is ony 0EV.don't know about D80.

    4. sensor anti-alias filter - 70d have it and D7200 does not.Difference is without anti-alias details/resolution is sharper at the disadvantage of moire pattern appearing in photo if scene consists of repeating lines /patterns like stripes on clothing but in actual practice may not be obvious in general situations.

    5. viewfinder coverage- d70 98% same for d80. D7200 100% precise framing for stills as well as video.This is pro standard but then again 98% is ok just remember that.If sensor is 36Mp not a problem..haha.

    6. sensor dynamic range- D7200 has better dynamic range meaning shadow and highlight details are better captured or rendered in photo..eg. white bridal dress or indoor or shaded scene but if you know how camera meter works dialing in the proper exposure compenastion is not a problem.Actually dynamic range refers to the fine voltage output that a sensor can resolve and translate to actual
    tonal values being recorded and processed by image processor.Digital has always this weakness in
    shadow or dark details value allocation of the sensor so at worst just black in contrast to graduated grey tones to pure black.

    video capability - while both have continuous focus d70 uses phase dection. Canon d70 has new
    pixel detectors 2 in very pixel for 80% of the frame that allows better performance than even D7200 how that translate in actual practice you need to read what video people think of this technology.
    These are the main important features I highlight for imaging.There are the other things like
    handling and features that you find useful not talked about.Like external microphone or stereo sound
    if any.

    Finally it comes down to pricing and your budget granted that newer models are higher.
    So do your research and buy wisely for the long term.Since you already have nikon lenses
    going nikon d7200 might be a better deal but if video is important then canon is a consideration.
    It's all very personal to you.

    PS: It's better that you read up on how to improve photography skills by reading relevant
    books that you can download foc online because of copyright please do it youself or at own risks..haha.

    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d


    http://www.techradar.com/sg/how-to/p...o-head-1320876

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/came.../vs/canon/80d/
    Last edited by one eye jack; 21st July 2016 at 05:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by Levis View Post
    Hi, you need a AF-S 50mm f1.8G lens if you plan to use with your D3300 and not the D lens, hope this help
    Oh really ? I think so. Hahaha.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by one eye jack View Post
    So you have used D3300 for some years and is itching for something better.Mind you your choice of Canon 70d puts you in the mid range quality of cameras.If you check online 70d is compared to Nikon
    D7100 is is quite dated by now.Now there is canon 80d and nikon D7200.

    1. sensor resolution -both are at 24Mp which is not far from D3300 at 20Mp.So not much a step up.try 36Mp...haha.

    2. focus points - d70 has 19 cross type vs 21 o D7200 but in total 51 of the simpler detectors.

    3. sensor sensivity - d70 up to 25800 expand while D7200 is doubled. Meaning it's able to focus down to -3EV in low light.Useful for indoor situations.Canon d70 is ony 0EV.don't know about D80.

    4. sensor anti-alias filter - 70d have it and D7200 does not.Difference is without anti-alias details/resolution is sharper at the disadvantage of moire pattern appearing in photo if scene consists of repeating lines /patterns like stripes on clothing but in actual practice may not be obvious in general situations.

    5. viewfinder coverage- d70 98% same for d80. D7200 100% precise framing for stills as well as video.This is pro standard but then again 98% is ok just remember that.If sensor is 36Mp not a problem..haha.

    6. sensor dynamic range- D7200 has better dynamic range meaning shadow and highlight details are better captured or rendered in photo..eg. white bridal dress or indoor or shaded scene but if you know how camera meter works dialing in the proper exposure compenastion is not a problem.Actually dynamic range refers to the fine voltage output that a sensor can resolve and translate to actual
    tonal values being recorded and processed by image processor.Digital has always this weakness in
    shadow or dark details value allocation of the sensor so at worst just black in contrast to graduated grey tones to pure black.

    video capability - while both have continuous focus d70 uses phase dection. Canon d70 has new
    pixel detectors 2 in very pixel for 80% of the frame that allows better performance than even D7200 how that translate in actual practice you need to read what video people think of this technology.
    These are the main important features I highlight for imaging.There are the other things like
    handling and features that you find useful not talked about.Like external microphone or stereo sound
    if any.

    Finally it comes down to pricing and your budget granted that newer models are higher.
    So do your research and buy wisely for the long term.Since you already have nikon lenses
    going nikon d7200 might be a better deal but if video is important then canon is a consideration.
    It's all very personal to you.

    PS: It's better that you read up on how to improve photography skills by reading relevant
    books that you can download foc online because of copyright please do it youself or at own risks..haha.

    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-70d


    http://www.techradar.com/sg/how-to/p...o-head-1320876

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/came.../vs/canon/80d/
    Wow. That's really a good comparison and I learn atleast 2-3 things from your comment. Thanks for your advise and I think i'm still itchy for new gear. Hahaha.

  10. #10
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Recommendation for DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by GIGGLE View Post
    Wow. That's really a good comparison and I learn atleast 2-3 things from your comment. Thanks for your advise and I think i'm still itchy for new gear. Hahaha.
    From what I gather, you have a D3300... some lenses, etc. You have used the D3300, used to the interface of the Nikon camera... my advise is... don't jump ship. No point doing that, just because Canon seemed pretty good on paper. Truth is... it is difficult to get a bad camera nowadays and if you ask me... they are all good.

    Stick with Nikon. You have listed down what you wanted, then get a Nikon that had all those and I really think there is some models in Nikon that do provide what you have listed.

    I would not even bother doing all those comparison, because all of them are they same to some aspect.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •