Thread: megapixel myth

Default megapixel myth

hi guys,

i read about about that sensor in compact camera is different with DSLR, so a 4mp DSLR sensor is much superior to a compact camera.

How about a prosumer camera's sensor?

i am checking out a prosumer camera, like FZ5.. it is a 5mp, so it's sensor is same with 5mp digital compact? i have seen compact camera with 5 or 6 mp that is as expensive as FZ5..i guess for picture quality wise, FZ5 should be better than those digital compact..right?

how about FZ10 which is 4mp, what is missing for this 1mp difference?

Hope you share what u know.
    Thank you.

Deregistered

Default Re: megapixel myth

It's not only MP, it's the size, photosites and the construction of the sensor.

hi,
    Most prosumer has similar physical sensor size as compacts, it is at DSLR where the size difference is BIG. You check them at eg www.dpreview.com, where the specs are listed.

Smaller sensor-size has "weakness" like less dynamic range, noise at high iso, etc. Manufacturers bump up the mPixel count when they can control these problems, maintaining the physical size of the sensor.

ps

there is this issue about pixel density as well

These days, most compact cams have got the 1/2.5 inch sensor, which is real small. As compared with the substantially bigger 1/1.8 ones we used to see like 2-3 years ago.

With such small sensors, at higher ISO, like at 400, the pic is so very noisy that it is utterly like unacceptable. So, you can forget about shooting night scenes without a tripod, or for that matter, shooting indoors without flash, unless it is real bright.

And the problem is that these days, a decent model comes with at least 5Mp and often much more, packing more and more pixels.

If I were to buy a compact tomorrow, I would wish to have a good 3Mp with a 1/1.8 sensor and with fast start-up and no perceptible shutter lag. And the standard 3x optical zoom.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    If I were to buy a compact tomorrow, I would wish to have a good 3Mp with a 1/1.8 sensor and with fast start-up and no perceptible shutter lag. And the standard 3x optical zoom.
    Your wish has come true. Fuji F11 is 6MP, with 1/1.7" sensor, .01 second shutter lag, 1.3 second start-up and 3x optical zoom.

ok, so if a photo taken by a 7mp digital point and shoot, clearer and sharper than 4mp FZ10 digital prosumer?

I know DSLR sensor is different from other digital cam. So how about the FZ10? there are many point and shoot that much more expensive than FZ10 or even same price with FZ20.

Thank you.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by LENS
    ok, so if a photo taken by a 7mp digital point and shoot, clearer and sharper than 4mp FZ10 digital prosumer?
    No, a 7mp or higher camera doesn't equate sharper, clearer, better images than a 4mp.

It's the optics of the camera, the design of the sensor that will determine the end results for comparison. More MP just gives you a higher resolution that's all.

Depends on the lens, sensor and algorithm used. Having higher MP could mean more blurred dots captured which result in a poorer image.

ok thanks for your reply. i am just wondering how come those digital compact cam with 3x optical zoom can be as expensive as a FZ20.. but sound FZ series give better picture quality. Guess most cost have been spend on making those camera compact and slim..
    Thanks!

ok thanks for your reply. i am just wondering how come those digital compact cam with 3x optical zoom can be as expensive as a FZ20.. but sound FZ series give better picture quality. Guess most cost have been spend on making those camera compact and slim..
    Thanks!
    I reckon you better look thru the websites for review prior to making your purchase.
    I've tried the FZ5 camera and I don't like the quality of the images.

The Canon S2 IS and Sony DSC H1 would be better choices though.
    If you have time, give them a try and evaluate them yourself.

Thanks!
    Most reviews seem to point out that the Lumix FZ series produce noisy images.

Hi All,

tried compare 8700 and D70s, same scene, same iso (800) the diff? 8700's photo is not acceptable, too noisy...
    Last edited by wahidkarim55; 27th November 2005 at 08:40 AM.