Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is February Good time to go Melbourne?

Default Re: Is February Good time to go Melbourne?

Any comments?

if you haven't seen it yet, the Lion King would be worth seeing in melbourne.
    the cheap seats ($40AUD) aren't bad at all, but if you want the better seats, it will cost approx $100. book at www.ticketek.com.au
    before the show you can have a 'pre-theater ' meal at one of melbourne's top restaurants for approx $40.00... consisting of entree and main or main and dessert plus a glass of wine. Its cheap because you have to leave the restaurant by 7.30pm, which is perfect if you have to watch a show. melbourne prides itself on good food so make sure you sample as much of it as possible.
    If you are in melbourne over the weekend, it may even be worth watching an aussie rules football game, would definately be something worth seeing. if i am not working, i would be more than happy to take you along to one and explain the rules.
    I see you are a canon user (good choice). I would be more than happy for you to borrow some of my stuff to save carrying all those lenses around.
    this website has been so good to me in providing great info for newbies like me and also helping me buying the cheapest canon lens from around the world, so i am more then happy to help out any clubsnap user if required.

Great! so nice of you.

Any comments on the proposed itenery since you are from there?

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat
    And of course the ultimate qn..... what lens to bring! Any advise from the below?

1) 17-40mm 4L
    2) 10-22mm
    3) 50mm 1.4

You think I will need tele in Melbourne?
    In my opinion, you probably don't need a telephoto (prime or zoom) lens in Melbourne.

However, if you think you will spend lots of time shooting sports or koalas in trees, then you may need a telephoto. Since you're here on a leisurely holiday, I don't think it's practical that you haul a large-aperture L lens for that.

You would see a greater need for wide-angle (prime or zoom) lenses to capture the British-like architecture of Melbourne and the natural scenery around Victoria.

I would also say to forget the 50mm f/1.4 especially if you are using a 1.6x crop DSLR. A fast wide-angle would be better. Bars, cafes, and eateries here tend to have nice interiors which a fast wide would do better.

So it will be 10-22mm and the 17-40mm?

anybody taken 12 apostles using 10-22mm before? Curious how it will look like at 10mm

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat
    So it will be 10-22mm and the 17-40mm?

anybody taken 12 apostles using 10-22mm before? Curious how it will look like at 10mm
    It really all depends on how you want to compose your shots. There's no definite right/correct lens for whatever you want to shoot. You could come, and your tour bus would probably bring you, close to the 12 Apostles and shoot the scene with a 10mm. You could also bring a 300mm and shoot it 10km away.

Regardless of the lens you eventually use, I have something else more important to inform you. It's the high salt content in the ocean breeze. Leave your lens uncapped for 5-10 minutes and you would get a free salt-coated "soft focus" UV filter. With all that salt spray/mist, your mirror and shutter mechanisms may squeak/creak after your trip, and it's time for repairs.
    Last edited by Jemapela; 14th March 2006 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemapela
    Regardless of the lens you eventually use, I have something else more important to inform you. It's the high salt content in the ocean breeze. Leave your lens uncapped for 5-10 minutes and you would get a free salt-coated "soft focus" UV filter. With all that salt spray/mist, your mirror and shutter mechanisms may squeak/creak after your trip, and it's time for repairs.
    Well, getting the salt coating just on the filter certainly beats getting it on the lens!! And if you don't change lens outdoors, I believe it won't get into the mirror or shutter mechanisms rite?

Hi guys, just to share... have booked a trip to Melbourne from the recent NATAS fair! It will be a free and easy self drive trip with my wife spending 9 days over there. Care to comment on my planned itenery below? Esp for those who have been there before. Like in each town which place is worth visiting! Thanks in advance!

Day 1: Reach Melbourne in the morning, check in hotel and explore Melbourne City
    Day 2: Pick up car and drive to Yarra's Valley, go for wine appreciation and explore further
    Day 3: Leave Yarra's Valley by late morning and head for Mornington Peninsular. Explore strawberry farm, spa, Arthur's chairlift or Cape Schank lighthouse
    Day 4: Leave Mornington, take ferry across to Queenscliff, and head towards great ocean road. Reach Apollo Bay by evening
    Day 5: Continue drive down across Cape Otway, 12 apostles and reach Warnambool by evening.
    Day 6: Head for Grampians NP, and explore for there for rest of day
    Day 7: Leave for Ballarat/Gold mining town and explore for rest of the day.
    Day 8: Head back to Melbourne city and do last min shopping.
    Day 9: Return car and head back to Singapore

When are you going?

Oh ya... forgot to include the date leaving 26th Apr returning 5th May!

cool....will be going there only in july, show us some pics when u return

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123