Thread: Questions to those who worked in Recruitment agencies

Default Questions to those who worked in Recruitment agencies

I'm now working as a contract temp engaged by an employment agency. I will have to
    submit my timesheet (signed by the client company whom I'm attached to) at month end
    to get my salary. But I always have to wait till 2nd or 3rd week of next month to get my
    current month salary.

When I chased my agency for my pay check, they told me that they can't pay me unless
    the client paid them first. My questions here are : is this the way employment agencies
    operate nowadays ? They do not pay their employees upfront but only after the client
    paid them. What if the client denied payment ? Does that mean I work for free ? Why must
    the employees be penalised for the work that has been performed ?

I feel like bringing this case to MOM but not sure will they help.

Default Re: Questions to those who worked in Recruitment agencies

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_L
    I'm now working as a contract temp engaged by an employment agency. I will have to
    submit my timesheet (signed by the client company whom I'm attached to) at month end
    to get my salary. But I always have to wait till 2nd or 3rd week of next month to get my
    current month salary.

When I chased my agency for my pay check, they told me that they can't pay me unless
    the client paid them first. My questions here are : is this the way employment agencies
    operate nowadays ? They do not pay their employees upfront but only after the client
    paid them. What if the client denied payment ? Does that mean I work for free ? Why must

that depends on your contract... read carefully...

from my point of view... its like buying things...

lets say...

Company A buys from Company B and sells to Company C
    Company A gets 30 Days terms from buying from B
    Company B gives 15 Days terms to C
    then Company C decides not to pay Company A...

so u think Company A needs to pay Company B? simple logic... who cares who sell who... as long as Company A owe Company B, den u have to pay what u owe...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

There are so many agencies, u should work for the agency that pay u the way u want to be paid.

The contract only stated that i need to submit the signed timesheet every month end.
    It did not mention when is the payday so I assumed it will be within 7 days according
    to MOM guideline. Neither did it mention that I will only get paid after the client paid
    the agency. If I were to know that earlier, I wouldnt have taken up this job in the first
    place. Thats why feel so cheated now.

What I want to know is does all employment agencies pay their staff this way or only my
    this particular agency. I remembered when I started out as an agency temp many years
    back, I never face this problem before. The agency then will pay me first and bill the client
    based on my timesheet.

My advice to all those who are looking for temp jobs thru employment agencies, must check
    with them how they are going to pay u before u accept the job.
    Last edited by Jo_L; 17th November 2005 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo_L
    current month salary.

I suspect the agent could be using the 3 weeks as a window to settle their internal cash flow first (ie. pay their admin salaries, CPF, rents, PUB) while your salary payment is at the bottom of their priority list.

You do have a case, you are contracted by the agency, not their client. Their client doesnt pay, then that is not your problem. Your employer is the recruitment agency, employer doesnt pay, then they better be ready to answer to MOM.

Deregistered

Yup... I threatened my company to pay me also, the reasons they gave me was that customer never pay them, I told them that's none of my business firmly.

However, last time I worked part-time under agency, they did specify and say that payment will arrive every 3rd week of the next month once the timesheet is submitted. You better check yours first.

A never pay B so that B cannot pay C, is none of C's business. C's case is with B, not A. The domino effect ends at B.

same experience as espn for part-time under agency. Think its normal, worked for 2 different agencies before.