Thread: UV filter

Default UV filter

HI newbie n v amateur here!

err what is a UV filter for? Is it necessary to have it? I am thinking of buying a Panasonic FZ5 and place to recommend? thanks! ))

Default Re: UV filter

Quote Originally Posted by ahchew
    HI newbie n v amateur here!

err what is a UV filter for? Is it necessary to have it? I am thinking of buying a Panasonic FZ5 and place to recommend? thanks! ))
    Do a search, plenty of post on this...

UV filter is used to reduce the UV light, and is a cheap way to protect your lens, as it doesn't really affect your photos.
    Last edited by blive; 17th November 2005 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    UV filter is used to reduce the UV light, and is a cheap way to protect your lens, as it doesn't really affect your photos.
    Protect the lens? I thought lenses are designed to handle light???
    isnt this like, wrap your tyres so it is protected from wear???

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    Protect the lens? I thought lenses are designed to handle light???
    isnt this like, wrap your tyres so it is protected from wear???
    Don't know how to answer your question, the way you asked.

For example, if a stone or something fly at you while you are photographing and it hits right in the centre of the lens, with a filter there, the stone will probably hit and damage the filter. If you do not have any filter, yours lens may be damaged and you got to send for repairs. or some similiar situation like that...

I would rather protect the lens, which is much more expensive, with a lens filter, which is much cheaper to replace.

If you can wrap your tires and it can still be safe to drive around, you can do it

Did a search, read this post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...hlight=filters and the many others in the forum.
    Last edited by blive; 17th November 2005 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Don't know how to answer your question, the way you asked.

For example, if a stone or something fly at you while you are photographing and it hits right in the centre of the lens, with a filter there, the stone will probably hit and damage the filter. If you do not have any filter, yours lens may be damaged and you got to send for repairs. or some similiar situation like that...

I would rather protect the lens, which is much more expensive, with a lens filter, which is much cheaper to replace.

If you can wrap your tires and it can still be safe to drive around, you can do it

Did a search, read this post http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...hlight=filters and the many others in the forum.

got it got it.... yes sir!