Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cokin type third party filters

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    Hi G-man, Thanks for your suggestion. It will be good if you can share the name of the apps cos I use my phone primarily for phone calls, sms and whatsapp. Not into downloading stuff into my phone... Oh, also do screen shot and take pictures
    I use iphone so the app I use is LE calculator. Just do a search for Long exposure calculator. Basically, every stop is HALF the resulting shutter speed.

If you are not into downloading stuff on your phone (understandable) then have to do it manually.

Default Re: Cokin type third party filters

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    Just use your fingers to count, always ready and don't need batteries.

One stops, two stops, three stops.......
    Master catchlights,

Seriously, I will be very keen to learn that. If you don't mind, can share how to do it?

Thanks
    Tangfolio, 9mm; CZ75 Shadow, 9mm; S&W 686, .38

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    The table in the link summarises the f-stop changes with different ND filters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral-density_filter
    Hi shierwin,

Thanks for the link. Worst case, I will print a copy of the table and bring it with me

Thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I use iphone so the app I use is LE calculator. Just do a search for Long exposure calculator. Basically, every stop is HALF the resulting shutter speed.

If you are not into downloading stuff on your phone (understandable) then have to do it manually.
    Hi G-man,

Thanks a lot. I will try to download the apps if I can find. I am using android phone. Last night I search, really have a lot of the apps. Now just to figure out which one to use

Thanks again

Moving this useful thread out of the shallow depth of kopi talk. Please keep it on topic
    EOS

It will be good if you can share the name of the apps cos I use my phone primarily for phone calls, sms and whatsapp. Not into downloading stuff into my phone...
    Oh, also do screen shot and take pictures
    On Android, I have this app 'Exposure Calculator' by Quicosoft. There are many other apps with similar names, doing essentially the same.
    You should consider this option in general, your camera is a computer as well.
    If you want to do it manually you will need to beef up maths a bit. The basic is: ND filters reduce light in f-stops. Since there are several different ways of describing this ('rating'), here one of the many tables:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutra...filter_ratings
    Search for the rating in the left columns, then go to the right, column 'f-stop' tells you how many stops you need to count.
    Now, based on given shutter speed, simply half the figure below the line for every f-stop. Using your previous example and question about ND4:
    ND4 = 2 stops. Your given shutter speed is 1/60s. Simply half the '60' 2 times: 60/2/2 = 15. Shutter speed = 1/15.
    Once you reach 1/1s = 1s, the counting should become easier
    Last edited by Octarine; 10th July 2016 at 12:52 PM.
    EOS

Master catchlights,

Seriously, I will be very keen to learn that. If you don't mind, can share how to do it?

Thanks
    does these two sets of figures mean anything to you?

1/4000 sec, 1/2000 sec, 1/1000 sec, 1/500 sec, 1/250 sec, 1/125 sec, 1/60 sec, 1/30 sec, 1/15 sec, 1/8 sec, 1/4 sec, 1/2 sec, 1 sec, 2 sec, 4 sec, 8 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec......

f1.4, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22, f32

the top row is the length of shutter speed, the bottom row is aperture value, each of them are different by One stops to the next value,

so for example lets take 1/60 sec at a base value, you want to increase the shutter speed by three stops, and using your fingers to help you to count,
    first close all your fingers and make a fist, than stick out your thumb and say 1/30 sec to yourself,
    follow by stick out you index finger and say 1/15 sec to yourself,
    lastly stick out your middle finger and say 1/8 sec.
    so you see, three fingers, 3 stops.

here is how can you count exposure value with your fingers, so long you can remember all the shutter speed and aperture value, and you can count the value in opening up or closing down either way.
    you have five fingers on each hands, but you can just use one hand to count 10 stops or more.

it is much faster than take out your mobile phone, look up for the app, open the app, wait for it to load, choose the function, key in the base value, blar blar blar....
    Last edited by catchlights; 10th July 2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Moving this useful thread out of the shallow depth of kopi talk. Please keep it on topic
    Hi Octarine,

Thanks

Hope this thread can help others who are also just starting out to use ND filter

On Android, I have this app 'Exposure Calculator' by Quicosoft. There are many other apps with similar names, doing essentially the same.
    You should consider this option in general, your camera is a computer as well.
    If you want to do it manually you will need to beef up maths a bit. The basic is: ND filters reduce light in f-stops. Since there are several different ways of describing this ('rating'), here one of the many tables:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutra...filter_ratings
    Search for the rating in the left columns, then go to the right, column 'f-stop' tells you how many stops you need to count.
    Now, based on given shutter speed, simply half the figure below the line for every f-stop. Using your previous example and question about ND4:
    ND4 = 2 stops. Your given shutter speed is 1/60s. Simply half the '60' 2 times: 60/2/2 = 15. Shutter speed = 1/15.
    Once you reach 1/1s = 1s, the counting should become easier
    Hi Octarine,

Thanks for sharing the name of the apps. Have downloaded it

The table in wiki reminds me of the sin and cosine table back in school.... Nightmare

Regarding the example of ND4 and 1/60s. Now if I use ND8 and 1/60s, it will be 60/2=30, then 30/3=10 and the new shutter will be 1/10, correct ?

If this time still wrong, ND is not for me

Regarding the example of ND4 and 1/60s. Now if I use ND8 and 1/60s, it will be 60/2=30, then 30/3=10 and the new shutter will be 1/10, correct ?
    Why do you suddenly divide by 3? Always divide by 2, never anything else.
    ND8 is 3 stops, so dive the 60 three times by 2.
    60/2 = 30, 30/2 = 15, 15/2 = 7.5 => take 8. Resulting shutter speed: 1/8s.
    EOS

1/4000 sec, 1/2000 sec, 1/1000 sec, 1/500 sec, 1/250 sec, 1/125 sec, 1/60 sec, 1/30 sec, 1/15 sec, 1/8 sec, 1/4 sec, 1/2 sec, 1 sec, 2 sec, 4 sec, 8 sec, 15 sec, 30 sec......

the top row is the length of shutter speed, the bottom row is aperture value, each of them are different by One stops to the next value,

so for example lets take 1/60 sec at a base value, you want to increase the shutter speed by three stops, and using your fingers to help you to count,
    first close all your fingers and make a fist, than stick out your thumb and say 1/30 sec to yourself,
    follow by stick out you index finger and say 1/15 sec to yourself,
    lastly stick out your middle finger and say 1/8 sec.
    so you see, three fingers, 3 stops.

here is how can you count exposure value with your fingers, so long you can remember all the shutter speed and aperture value, and you can count the value in opening up or closing down either way.
    you have five fingers on each hands, but you can just use one hand to count 10 stops or more.

it is much faster than take out your mobile phone, look up for the app, open the app, wait for it to load, choose the function, key in the base value, blar blar blar....
    The master had spoken

Ok, I know the two sets of table but don't think I can memorize them.

The reason why I took so long to response is that I was trying out what you have taught using fingers....

Based on the example of 1/60s at base value, to increase the shutter speed by 3 stops will be 1/125, 1/250 and finally 1/500, correct ? Maybe I am not familiar with the terminology used, correct me if I am wrong.

I think I may have found an easier way, similar to using fingers. Based on 1/60 again, if I use ND8, that will be 3 stops, so if I turn the shutter speed dial 3 times towards the lower speed side, it should stop at 1/8, correct ?

Err..above method can be used ?

Thanks

Why do you suddenly divide by 3? Always divide by 2, never anything else.
    ND8 is 3 stops, so dive the 60 three times by 2.
    60/2 = 30, 30/2 = 15, 15/2 = 7.5 => take 8. Resulting shutter speed: 1/8s.
    Ah...sucks.... I thought need to divide by the ND factor, which in this example is 3 stops....

Ah...sucks.... I thought need to divide by the ND factor, which in this example is 3 stops....
    Also no correct
    You divide by 2^3 (=8), to be precise.
    But maybe catchlight's approach is better by using the fingers.
    EOS

The master had spoken

Ok, I know the two sets of table but don't think I can memorize them.

The reason why I took so long to response is that I was trying out what you have taught using fingers....

Based on the example of 1/60s at base value, to increase the shutter speed by 3 stops will be 1/125, 1/250 and finally 1/500, correct ? Maybe I am not familiar with the terminology used, correct me if I am wrong.

I think I may have found an easier way, similar to using fingers. Based on 1/60 again, if I use ND8, that will be 3 stops, so if I turn the shutter speed dial 3 times towards the lower speed side, it should stop at 1/8, correct ?

Err..above method can be used ?

Thanks
    Yo, increase shutter speed means open the shutter for longer time, not shorter. The bigger the number at the bottom of fraction is smaller in value.

The second method also works, but don't forget on the shutter speed dial can be 1/3 stops or 1/2 stops increment, you have know how many clicks you have to dial.

Keep it simple, use your fingers.

Also no correct
    You divide by 2^3 (=8), to be precise.
    But maybe catchlight's approach is better by using the fingers.
    Haizzz, now you see why I failed maths...

Yo, increase shutter speed means open the shutter for longer time, not shorter. The bigger the number at the bottom of fraction is smaller in value.

The second method also works, but don't forget on the shutter speed dial can be 1/3 stops or 1/2 stops increment, you have know how many clicks you have to dial.

Keep it simple, use your fingers.
    Ok, this one I mis-interpreted. Thought increase shutter speed means make the shutter speed go faster...

How do I check my camera's shutter speed is 1/3 or 1/2 stops, if you don't mind sharing

To add to catchlights post:

ISO sequence will be 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600

Every change is also one stop.

Hope this help....

http://lifehacker.com/how-aperture-s...-sh-1699204484

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    To add to catchlights post:

ISO sequence will be 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600

Every change is also one stop.

Hope this help....

http://lifehacker.com/how-aperture-s...-sh-1699204484
    Hi Shierwin,

This sure helps a lot

Thanks a mil

Ok, this one I mis-interpreted. Thought increase shutter speed means make the shutter speed go faster...

How do I check my camera's shutter speed is 1/3 or 1/2 stops, if you don't mind sharing
    if you turn the dial 3 clicks, shutter speed change from 1/60 to 1/125 or 1/30, is 1/3 stops increment. Two clicks is 1/2 stops increment.

Want double confirm? Go and check your camera custom menu setting.

if you turn the dial 3 clicks, shutter speed change from 1/60 to 1/125 or 1/30, is 1/3 stops increment. Two clicks is 1/2 stops increment.

Want double confirm? Go and check your camera custom menu setting.
    Hi catchlights,

I check my camera this morning and discovered that I can set the EV to 1, 1/3 or 1/2. It is currently set at EV1 so from 1/60s, 1 click brings me to 1/30.

So can I say that the table you provided is EV1 stop ?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast